Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Manslick gets Mellow

Thanks

Manslick gets Mellow

Sign in to disable this ad

This is a headphone mix of a song I used to sing to my kids way back.

I wonder how it sounds to you, the shakers and claves? Anything else.

I have an alternate ending and more words, but I wanted to get some feedback on it thus far, so go for it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    Love it man! I can totally see this in a slow scene in a sappy rom-com. Maybe while 'she's' travelling to meet someone or whatever.....IDK.

Claves stand out over time to me. I'd maybe want to hear more stuff bridging the gaps, like brushed snare or something.
    The finger slides took my attention during the intro but I wasn't aware of them after that.

I wouldn't mind it being a bit longer; I'd be interested to hear the alternate version.
    Great work!
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Sounds good overall. Super mellow!
    Personally, I'd bring up the guitar(s) and the shakers (they sound nice but are too quiet imo) and I'd turn down the wood block sound (is that a "clav"?). I also thought you could play it more sparingly than you do and it would meld a little better. I did like the reverb on that though. Your voice is a good deal drier and more up front than the instruments, but you may want that for effect...just wanted to point that out.
    The octaves on the guitar sound nice and soothing. A good deal of string sliding noise, but hard to avoid when you're playing parts like that.
    Overall it sounds good - it just needs to be longer .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
    the wood block sound (is that a "clav"?).
    I had to google it.........
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    I had to google it.........
    I should probably use that more often... Of course I might not have had much luck searching for a "clav"?

Thanks
    Its sure a nice mellow, melodic tune-I enjoyed it quite a lot. Its been mentioned already but the clave is louder than it should be and I think the vocal could use a slight more reverb. The finger noise of the strings seem like the strings are brand new and really seem to effect a few certain chords during the song-I usually play a new set of strings a few days before recording to make the squeaks quieter, or find another voicing of the chord maybe.

Good work though!

Thanks
    Thanks guys. The claves is the one thing I find hard to gage. At the last minute I re-tracked them and busied up the rhythm but maybe it didn’t work. I bet when I hear this again I perceive them as too loud. I remember thinking of tunes where claves always seem too loud. And I need to listen on open speakers for once – lol

The octaves were played on a guitar with very dead strings. The string noise is inherent and I suppose an acquired taste. Not a lot I know to do about it, maybe a de-esser if I get too many complaints or a lot of editing.

As for brushes, there is a faint brush like track where I “sanded” the back of my Martin for that effect. To me it almost sounds like a vinyl plug in effect. But I pulled it way back so you might have missed it.

Thanks
    WOW! Super mellow.....and short.

I really like it. I would agree with whats been said about the shakers and guitar going up and claves volumes going down. But it really does sound nice as it is.

Personally I don't mind the sound of string noise/scrapes of other people recordings but they annoy the shit out of me on my own. Sometimes they can be really intrusive and others, really fitting with the song/music. I didn't notice them so much here. They fit well with the sound packaged as a whole.

Good job!
    Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! - TheMrClean.co.uk

Thanks
    I think the instruments all sounded pretty good. As everyone said, very mellow. A slow tempo, and no sounds with an "edge" to them. I thought the shakers and wood blocks sounded good. Maybe a bit of excess guitar sting squeak. but nothing horrible.

The vocal, to my ear, sounds a little out of place with the backing tracks. Dryer and louder than everything else. Sounds like the band is 30 feet behind the singer if you know what I mean.

Thanks
    Delightful Sir. My initial reaction overall is that there are some low freq in the mix that are mudding things up a bit. Get those out the way of your delicious guitar stuff. Love it.

Thread Information