Manslick EoTW

The drums are really muffled, maybe the compressor has taken all the attack off? Vocals are good although the very first 'end of the world' seems at odds with the underlying chords? Has a kind of Iggy Pop meets XTC vibe. If you cleaned up the percussion section this would be a good listen

Thanks BH. This one is a real challenge for me.
You hit it right. I cranked the limiter on this and I guess I squeezed the life out of it.
Interesting about the vocals being at odds. It is. Ha.

Hey Manslick,

This is a really good song. I think it sounds very warm and pleasant. I agree with Bulls Hit that the drums sound a bit muffled (but at the same time, it seems somewhat intentional)!

Listened to eotw 4 as I guess it is the latest version. Lead vocal is completely buried, especially when the backing vocals come in. Snare and toms sound flat with no pop or ring. Bass and kick are working together nicely.

All the backing tracks sound good; guits, piano, etc.

Kind of sounds like something the Beatles would do. Cool.

Sounds good to me. What others say is right but could have been done intentional, I would probably given more presence just to the snare as it could add some punch some times, the rest is great!

I'm not sure you need to redo anything but then I dont know which version I'm listening to. It sounds whimsical and playful and yeah a touch of the Beatles about it. The drums do sound a bit muffled but depends what sound you're after. The vocals sound fine at those levels to me. I love warm lofi stuff and I think this sounds great.

Mark

Hi mcmac74. This is the last version I have "mastered" - it's about as good as my stuff gets - passable.

I just now learned a transient sculpting trick that I want to use on this. I'll see.

This tune came out of a moment when I had a few words written and I just sat down with my guitar and did one take. I'd been thinking for some days about doing a simple rock tune, so when this came I Just started adding more stuff.
It's funny to me to listen to the solo guitar and vocal track and then the whole thing, because at the time of the initial take I had no clue what was coming.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's funny to me to listen to the solo guitar and vocal track and then the whole thing, because at the time of the initial take I had no clue what was coming.

That's pretty much true for all my songs. :) I consider recording and mixing to be part of the songwriting process.

That's pretty much true for all my songs. :) I consider recording and mixing to be part of the songwriting process.

Absolutely...since starting using reaper I dont worry too much about an exact structure before starting to record as the cut and paste is so smooth with a grid....never mind perfecting a solo before I hit record ?

Back