Manslick - The Bullet's Gash

Nice song and good performance. It's fun. There seems to be a lot of higher end to this. You could boost the bass to fill it out more or maybe change the high pass filter on the piano and kick. I'd also suggest layering a snare on top of the snare sound on this and possibly de-essing the hi-hat that's panned right. I might even experiment with a few different, subtle verbs on the drums and piano.

Nice song and good performance. It's fun. There seems to be a lot of higher end to this. You could boost the bass to fill it out more or maybe change the high pass filter on the piano and kick. I'd also suggest layering a snare on top of the snare sound on this and possibly de-essing the hi-hat that's panned right. I might even experiment with a few different, subtle verbs on the drums and piano.

Thanks for the feedback grn. I shall take this into consideration.

Mix update for grn

Hey grn - is this closer to your impression?

Attachments

• Bullets Gash 3 WIP.mp3
    7.1 MB · Views: 17
Hey grn - is this closer to your impression?

This sounds much better than the soundcloud link. Enjoying the song as I listen. I think the vocal is sitting on top of the mix. Though, it's a great performance, it could be blended better with everything else. Listening more, same for the lead solo guitar. Just a little too loud for the rest of the mix.

Cool song. Like it.

This sounds much better than the soundcloud link. Enjoying the song as I listen. I think the vocal is sitting on top of the mix. Though, it's a great performance, it could be blended better with everything else. Listening more, same for the lead solo guitar. Just a little too loud for the rest of the mix.

Cool song. Like it.

Thanks Chili - obviously those parts are dearest to me. LOL.

Hey there. I don't have any real nitpicks on the mix. Everything is sounding pretty nice to me.

I'm just curious as to the influences on this. It's very unique, and I can't really seem to place it.

Is there some Talking Heads influence? Or ... ?

I think the mix is good. I don't really have any mix suggestions. The only nit I have is that the vocals are pitchy, especially on the falsetto parts

Courtesy of Manslick letting me take a shot at mixing his very cool tune I'm posting what I came up with.

Attachments

• Bullets Gash Mp3.mp3
    7.4 MB · Views: 40
Sounds good, PDP. You brought out a lot of details that I didn't know were there. Particularly the piano/kybrd part. Gotta say, it really adds to the song.

My new nitpick would be the sound effect in the beginning is a little too loud for my taste. Personal preference, though.

Cheers to Manslick for a good song and for allowing you to tinker with the mix. :thumbs up:

Really interesting song right from the get-go, excellent. I thought grn's suggestions were so good i went to the mp3 and yes much better, kudos for being flexible. The bass is the really prominent now and the excellent bass riffs really drive the song for me. Really cool descending piano riffs at the end, nice touch! Great use of backup vocals throughout they spice the arrangement up and keep things moving. Sounds pretty much done to me, enjoyed the tune.

Hey there. I don't have any real nitpicks on the mix. Everything is sounding pretty nice to me.

I'm just curious as to the influences on this. It's very unique, and I can't really seem to place it.

Is there some Talking Heads influence? Or ... ?

Hey famous beagle - I am not sure myself about the influences.
I posted the lyrics on the songwriting forum a few weeks ago and they kept bugging me so I started to noodle around with musical ideas.
The lyrics came in one big gush the night I posted them. I recall my intent was to present a contrasting theme.
When I started the music I had already googled "sleek black boat" and this 75 million dollar yacht came up that I found quite inspiring.
So, I started strumming this Gmaj7 to A7 riff. Musically this is very much like a 2-5 change up in D maj, so the guitar riffs in Emin pentatonic were right up my alley.
Once I had a melody that fit the lyric I knew I needed a pre-chorus and came up with the Fmaj7-b5 to Am7 part after listening to some youtube video about altered chords.
For the chorus it seemed to want to go to Cmaj7 to B7, a change I am quite fond of and I attribute that to the song persephone by Kula Shaker.
The rest of it all just came from repeated listening and ponderings.
Thanks for asking.

I think the mix is good. I don't really have any mix suggestions. The only nit I have is that the vocals are pitchy, especially on the falsetto parts

Hey jimi - thanks for the spin and the comments.

---------- Update ----------

Courtesy of Manslick letting me take a shot at mixing his very cool tune I'm posting what I came up with.

Thanks Pete - love the re-mix.

Really interesting song right from the get-go, excellent. I thought grn's suggestions were so good i went to the mp3 and yes much better, kudos for being flexible. The bass is the really prominent now and the excellent bass riffs really drive the song for me. Really cool descending piano riffs at the end, nice touch! Great use of backup vocals throughout they spice the arrangement up and keep things moving. Sounds pretty much done to me, enjoyed the tune.

Thanks Stratomaster - I think PDP did a great job on this re-mix. Plus grn's suggestions were spot on too.

Absolutely love this song. Its quirky and playful and has a really strong melody underpinning everything. Mix wise, I can't hear the rework on my phone but throughly enjoyed the original. Top stuff

Mark

The mp3 is way better, but it`s still in need of some high end/high mid smack in the snare to realy get the groove going.

Absolutely love this song. Its quirky and playful and has a really strong melody underpinning everything. Mix wise, I can't hear the rework on my phone but throughly enjoyed the original. Top stuff

Mark

Hey Mark thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the comments.

Back