"Magick" - guitar looping mix from live show w/ video

Brian Miller

Hey guys,

This is a mix I did for a live video from a recent theater show. For those of you who don't know, I do a one-man variety show combining magic, comedy, mind reading, and music.

Anyway the mix was challenging because it was so naked. I had two sources: feed from Rode camera condenser which is exactly where the camera is sitting - close to the stage and basically in front of the audience, and direct feed from mixing board. I wanted to balance the direct, clean feed with the ambiance of the 300 seat theater. Unfortunately I didn't have any stereo mics over the entire audience.

How do you think it turned out? Hope you enjoy!

Pretty damn awesome Brian. Cool stuff your doing there. Would love to see your show in person. Next time I am in Connecticut may try to find if your out playing somewhere.

As far as the sound on the video I think everything sounded nice and spacey. At the end when you started hit the larger chords it sounded like it was about to(or did) red line and distort a little. Not sure if there is anything you can do about that if it was recorded that way. again, great job.

Very Satriani-esque, eh?

I liked the mix. You should try and get some stereo mics over the audience next time!

Also, I might have to get you to do the vocals on a cover of "The Wizard". ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Like the Synapse. Used to have the bass version. Very nice. Saw Phil Keaggy do something very similar live.

Thanks everyone!

Bruthish - Let me know if you're in New England for sure. And yeah, those heavy chords at the end overloaded the feed a bit. It was just one mixing guy and it wasn't his job to watch my computer, so I had it set as best as I could.

TripleM - thanks for watching/listening!

Schwarz - Satch was a huge influence on my playing when I was doing the 80s thing. When it comes to instrumental guitar rock he's definitely my favorite. Flavors of "Always With Me, Always With You" here for sure. I can only bring so many things with me on tour, traveling alone with an extensive variety show. Wish I could have had overhead mics but oh well.

Broken_H - it's actually a Spirit Pro, modified a bunch, but yeah Steinberger makes great instruments.

At 1:59, you almost do it. I was wrong, I thought it was exact, but it's not. I really thought that's what you were playing on first listen. :cool:

Damn, this sounds great. Nice performance, and excellent capture of the sound. Nice venue, to have a silent audience that shuts up until it's time to applaud :)

Damn, this sounds great. Nice performance, and excellent capture of the sound. Nice venue, to have a silent audience that shuts up until it's time to applaud :)

Thanks man, I appreciate it. And yeah I'm very lucky over the past few years that my career has shifted into the types of venues that, for the most part, give you their attention and respect for the performance. It's such a different ballgame when you aren't desperately trying to get people to pay attention.

Back