Thread: Magic Pill - Alternative/Grunge Song

Thanks

Magic Pill - Alternative/Grunge Song

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all,

Wrote this song today. Very much Alice in Chains influenced. Feedback most welcome:

MAGIC PILL
    (Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

I feel your pain
    Got a magic pill for you
    It will sustain
    Our obscene revenue
    We followed all the rules
    Paid off the drug mules
    FDA gave approval
    Time to unleash the evil

Magic pill
    Unleash the demons deep inside
    Canít live with it
    Canít live without it
    The magic pill

The murky world
    Politics is where we play
    When truth unfurls
    Made a clean getaway
    Weíll leave helpless
    At end of your rope
    No more magic pill
    Itís street corner dope

Magic pill
    Canít live with it
    Canít live without it
    The magic pill

SOLO

Magic pill
    Canít live with it
    Canít live without it
    The magic pill
    (Canít live with it, Canít live without it)
    The magic pill
    The magic pill

Thanks
    I can't really say much about the song since I have no alternative/grunge cred. I was well into my thirties by the time the style caught fire. I'm also a huge fan of underproduction or at least the loud-quiet-loud approach of 80's-90's bands like Slint, Hum, or the Pixies. So to me, it sounds like there is a lot going on here. Again, that's not really a criticism. Just my own musical bias. I like to think of it as a somewhat more mature version of what my father use to say: "Why do the kids have to play their music so loud."

I like the lyrics, though. They are relevant and political without being preachy. The opioid crisis is a big issue these days and it has it's roots in Big Pharma greed, physician ignorance (perhaps even malpractice), and our complete failure to invest in mental health and drug rehabilitation. It's ruined thousands of lives, killed a lot of people along the way, and created a new class of heroin addicts. Of course, the Republicans stand ready to step into the breach, and the industry and doctors have pulled back considerably from practices prevalent in the late 90's and early 2000's. So maybe there is hope. I doubt it, but maybe.

What's most intriguing, to me at least, is the concept of pain. That's really the main thing that gets lost in all the politics, the overdoses, and the addiction. How do we address pain. The new opioid crisis will undoubtedly be added to the old war on drugs while people go on suffering with chronic (often debilitating) pain. The new solution is simply to not treat people. We are so afraid of the ravages of addiction that people who actually need relief are shortchanged. And the best society can offer is a yoga ball and meditation.

END of RANT

Thanks
    Awesome song!!! Send it to Dave Jerden!!!!!!

Thanks
    On headphones the drums and vocals seem to have a hyped top end zinging around. Vocal harmonies are very AIC. Rythym guitar sounds great. Vocals are excellent too. I would back off some of the effects and focus on getting the bottom end heavier and more solid. Good jam, nice job

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dwillis45 View Post
    I can't really say much about the song since I have no alternative/grunge cred. I was well into my thirties by the time the style caught fire. I'm also a huge fan of underproduction or at least the loud-quiet-loud approach of 80's-90's bands like Slint, Hum, or the Pixies. So to me, it sounds like there is a lot going on here. Again, that's not really a criticism. Just my own musical bias. I like to think of it as a somewhat more mature version of what my father use to say: "Why do the kids have to play their music so loud."

I like the lyrics, though. They are relevant and political without being preachy. The opioid crisis is a big issue these days and it has it's roots in Big Pharma greed, physician ignorance (perhaps even malpractice), and our complete failure to invest in mental health and drug rehabilitation. It's ruined thousands of lives, killed a lot of people along the way, and created a new class of heroin addicts. Of course, the Republicans stand ready to step into the breach, and the industry and doctors have pulled back considerably from practices prevalent in the late 90's and early 2000's. So maybe there is hope. I doubt it, but maybe.

What's most intriguing, to me at least, is the concept of pain. That's really the main thing that gets lost in all the politics, the overdoses, and the addiction. How do we address pain. The new opioid crisis will undoubtedly be added to the old war on drugs while people go on suffering with chronic (often debilitating) pain. The new solution is simply to not treat people. We are so afraid of the ravages of addiction that people who actually need relief are shortchanged. And the best society can offer is a yoga ball and meditation.

END of RANT
    Thanks for the feedback - sorry the song was not your creed, and of course this forum should stay a music forum, but your rant goes to the song meaning and I think is very relevant. I do not live in the USA now (I did when Opiates were flooded on the market in the early 2000s and so I saw the start of it). This graph tells it all. And not one company who pushed these drugs has been called to task while every day, more than 130 people in the United States die after overdosing on opioids.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/ima...doseDeaths.png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulls Hit View Post
    On headphones the drums and vocals seem to have a hyped top end zinging around. Vocal harmonies are very AIC. Rythym guitar sounds great. Vocals are excellent too. I would back off some of the effects and focus on getting the bottom end heavier and more solid. Good jam, nice job
    Hi there, many thanks for the feedback! I made a remix this morning to fix some things I thought could be improved also taking your feedback into account. There are so many frickin' tracks (a lot of layering) that I had to do some more automation and EQing so everything sits better. Interested in your impressions of the new mix:

Thanks
    This is a real song here. Somebody Mutt Lange this thing for the OP...

Thread Information