Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: madonna 2

Thanks

madonna 2

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm going through some mixes and applying suggestions and feedback. Here's one. I'm happier with this version that the first one, but I think there's still some tweaking that needs doing.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...d=1075&alid=-1

"madonna"

It's one of those health food songs.

Thanks
    interesting.

what's a health food song?

the song is rather odd.

the mix sounds good, at least to my untrained ears.

peace
    *sob

Thanks

Cool!

I don't know what else you could tweak. Sounds pretty darned clean and crisp to me. Stuff is where stuff is supposed to be. OK - I think the little motif that runs constantly throughout could maybe be a bit more subliminal. Maybe even move it around?

Drums are really clean - and no one's gonna crit your snare sound!!

Vocals are really cool - lots of character and variation in your voice - and it develops through the tune.

I can't grasp the message....care to elaborate a little?

Nice thoughtful work!!
    ~Milan
    MC Gitarz

Thanks
    Weird but nice. I listened to a few other songs of yours too. Kinda reminds me of a band I used to watch in Santa Barbara called Spencer the Gardener.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Twilight-Zone-y-type song dobro-ther! Your voc tracking and translation is so well rounded,clean and pure. The subtle,vocal-twang-technique U added on your lyrical content, gave the song an even more mysterious flavor! Instrumentation and arrangement backed you up quite nicely!

Superb!

Thanks

Thumbs up

I just listened to md_1 from my Dobro folder after I listened to md_2.

I love this song. It's gotta be a blast to sing this stuff. I mean, for the most part I enjoy the feeling of singing my own stuff, but I've never really felt like a singer, so it feels a bit unnatural at times. When I listen to you, it sounds like it just rolls off the tongue.

What I think I noticed most about md_2 was a boost somewhere around 1-2K in the vocal. The consonants, like "k" in "walking" are more pronounced. So in the vocal track have you bumped those mids up, or did you cut the low mids and raise the whole track to compensate? Or did you just retrack the vocal with a different mic position?

I also really liked the bass again in this tune. IMNO you get a great bass tone for your music.

My only nitpick is something I've only recently started to seriously address in my own stuff, and that's the vocal sibilance. Some of the 5K area (esses) is a bit hyped. Personally I can't sing straight on with my mic or the sibiliance dominates the mix. It's less noticable I think with electric guitars, but with synths and warmer acoustics it becomes more obvious that the vocals are coming from some place else. The extra high end of the vocal almost detaches it from the rest of the mix, if you know what I mean. I don't think it's nearly as bad here in Madonna as it has been in some of my past mixes. But I'm finding that with the right angle of the mic, I don't need to apply any EQ in most of my new mixes. Just something to think about as we start to fine tune our recording methods. And of course, these observations may not actually even apply to you.

Sounds like a big improvement Paul. The details are much much more clear. Nice work.

Tom

Thanks
    Sluice:

"So in the vocal track have you bumped those mids up, or did you cut the low mids and raise the whole track to compensate?"

The latter. I've got you to thank for that. Attention to lower mids has opened a door for me. So much stuff piles up there. Keep as much as possible light there, and things start taking care of themselves.

Plus that group/bussing/compression thing I told you about a while back. Plus you can experiment with pushing the highpass filter on some tracks - guitars and other things don't have to be at 82 Hz; they can be at 90 or 100 or 110 or... Now I can get things brighter and clearer without having to boost the high end. Excellent. I was worried that this mix I've posted here was too bright.

Yeah, you're so right about the sibilance, especially that spoken portion in the middle - it's egregious LOL. I've tried redoing the track, but I can't get close to the feeling on that sibilant original, so I've stopped trying.

Thank you for the re-listen. Wish you were here, as they say. I'm going through all the mixes on the album and hearing loads of new stuff to tweak. You gonna be anywhere near Singapore in the next two weeks, or are you too busy with the video work?

Thanks
    I could be. See if your label will spring for the flight. hehe

Thanks
    I like second mix.

I like Dobro.

I like good music.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    Well, I've recently sort of reined in my sibilance criticism. Mainly because I've been listening to a bunch of records from the 80s lately and I noticed that there's assloads of sibilance on lots of those records.

I mean, 'Graceland' is often held up by engineer geeks as an example of sonic excellence and there's TONS of sibilance on that record. Like, he'd get REAMED if he brought that around HRC. Check it out.

So, while I could stand a little less "essss" on this, it's also nowhere near enough to freak about - or so says my new "laid-back" esss policy.

No real complaints from me on this. It's done, dude. Didja re-sing some parts?

Chris

Thread Information