"Mad World". A Cover of a cover.

SOUND DIAGNOSIS

Originally done by Tears for Fears, a flipping fantastic cover was subsequently done by a one Gary Jules for the weird...and feature film, "Donnie Darko". Anyone see this mind-fuck of a film?? Anyhoo, this tune was played at the end of the flick during a superbly edited video-montage of the main characters. I gave my brand new Delta Omni Studio a shot, for it finally replaced my shi-tay Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard...and not a moment too soon. Give a listen if you'd like! Thanks! ---Lee

"Mad World"

LYRICS

“Mad World” From Donnie Darko

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places – worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere – going nowhere
Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression – no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow – no tomorrow

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it’s a very very
mad world mad world

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday – happy birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen – sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me – no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what’s my lesson
Look right through me – look right through me

And I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad
The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had
I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it’s a very very
Mad world . . . Mad world
Enlargen your world
Mad world

Last edited:
SD........

You are a very good vocalist.
Its difficult to pull something like this arrangement off unless you got pipes.
I'm not really familiar with the original, the 80's was a wild time for me:D
I like what you did with this song though. I'll keep my ear open when I check out Donnie Darko:)

Re: SD........

HevyD47Ca said:
You are a very good vocalist.
Its difficult to pull something like this arrangement off unless you got pipes.
I'm not really familiar with the original, the 80's was a wild time for me:D
I like what you did with this song though. I'll keep my ear open when I check out Donnie Darko:)

Thanks for listening, Dee. I am enjoying a "pro" soundcard for the first time! Tis' a blast. Check out that film. ---Lee

Blue Bear Sound said:
I really don't care for the piano sound at all... very plastic-sounding...

Good vocals though!

Yes, there are plastic parts on my synth! A most astute observation as always, BB!:D Thanks for listening, dude. Lee

I'm a big Donnie Darko fan myself, and I think you did a great job covering this song. Big thumbs up here!

Nik D said:
I'm a big Donnie Darko fan myself, and I think you did a great job covering this song. Big thumbs up here!

Thanks, Nikki-Dee! That tune's just wraps up that movie so excellently, it goes beyond words, eh? Thanks for your ears and your continued membership and dedication to the Donnie Darko Apprecitaion Society.! ---Lee

Wow dude, i'm amazed. I just finished the movie when I clicked on this, I was actually in the process of downloading both the Tears for Fears and Gary Jules versions! Anyways, about the song your voice is spot on, and the music is just fine. Although alittle synthy(word?) sounding it is a good cover!

Toad Rush said:
Wow dude, i'm amazed. I just finished the movie when I clicked on this, I was actually in the process of downloading both the Tears for Fears and Gary Jules versions! Anyways, about the song your voice is spot on, and the music is just fine. Although alittle synthy(word?) sounding it is a good cover!

Whoa, that's freakkkky, Toad. I played around with EQ a bit to see if I can get the cellos up to snuff, as well as the keys. I just don't hear the synthy stuff you guys are hearing, and mind you I was brought up with acoustic grand pianos, as well as working as master tone-regulator for the Sohmer Piano Company in New York City. Go Figga! :( I must be too dang used to the sound of this instrument by now! Thanks for listening, Mr. Rush. :D ---Lee

I love this song, and was planning on covering it myself before i remembered that I suck at singing :)

My only complaint is that the vocals sound too clean and precise. Not the recording, but the way it is sung. The original seemed to flow better. The words were "smoother" for lack of a better word. Maybe someone can put it in better words, it's hard to describe what I mean :)

travis

Sounds very good to me through headphones. I'm hearing some distortion on some parts of the piano track, but the piano tone itself sounds fitting to the song.

ignition said:
I love this song, and was planning on covering it myself before i remembered that I suck at singing :)

My only complaint is that the vocals sound too clean and precise. Not the recording, but the way it is sung. The original seemed to flow better. The words were "smoother" for lack of a better word. Maybe someone can put it in better words, it's hard to describe what I mean :)

travis

It's referred to as phrasing, and I screwed up with the flow in this one. Good point and well taken. I was VERY preoccupied with buttons, switches on the new Omni, as well as overwhelmed with the quality of what I was hearing. Just yesterday I hooked up new balanced cable lines, and it sounds even better. I am being BLINDED BY SCIENCE!! Thanks for listening and commenting, Sir Ignitus! ---Lee

riotshield said:
Sounds very good to me through headphones. I'm hearing some distortion on some parts of the piano track, but the piano tone itself sounds fitting to the song.

Yup, I heard it too. I really hear it during the last 4 "Mad World" chords at the end. That crispy crackling!! Thanks for the ears, riot. --Lee

sounds good man. that song is so pretty. i loved that movie.

how's the contrast between the santa cruz and the omni? :D

Jotosuds said:
sounds good man. that song is so pretty. i loved that movie.

how's the contrast between the santa cruz and the omni? :D

Like using "Audio Windex" on a cloudy window. Nice clarity and dynamic range differences. Thanks for listening! ---Lee

Back