Low-Fi Folk-Rock

mcolling said:
This is a tune I did with a couple cheap Chinese condensers (SP B1, MXL 990) and a SM 57. I play all the intruments and sing on it. The track is called Gordon Tawney.

Tell me what you honestly think.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4611&alid=-1

Regards,
Mike

i really like the song.

on the mixing side, it's lacking some clarity overall. the vocals and guitar suffer the most from this, but its not too bad. the vocals are a bit low for my taste. I'm listening on some desktop speakers so i cant give you too much more accurate feedback than that. it's pretty good though.

Different, but not bad. Very interesting arrangement.
Nice instument panning, giving nice ambience.
Listened all the way through. I wanted to click on STOP, but I was intrigued to keep listening. Was not disappointed.

Thats funny,.. I had the same feeling. Kept going for the stop button but kept listening. I guess that means your doing something right. I liked the tune,..which is wierd because when it first started playing my honest thought was,.."ughhh".
Pretty cool. Keep it up.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

im feeling some simple bango fingerpicked patterns with a lot of ambience in the background would be the icing on the cake just to keep it rollin behind the pauses of the acoustic

then the build before the chorus maybe a sweeping synth(analog) fade in... then carry that behind the chorus....

this is super good though

sounds like neil young on the verse

Hey, I'm glad everyone liked it, or was intrigued at least. I was thinking that the intro might be too long, so I thought of cutting it down but eventually decided against it.

You know, I tried more driving banjo part, but it didn't work too well. It does pick up in the chorus, though.

An analog synth would maybe fit in this song. I wish I had one!

--Mike

Interesting tune ... like Neil Young for sure. Nice effect going from clean picking to the overdriven sound in the chorus. I think the voice is panned too far left - maybe I would center it a bit. Could use a bit more volume on the right side to hear the other instrument too. Just a few nits nothing serious....overall a well done tune Mike.....

you know i think you could find the lo fi (warm analog) sound you want if you got a midi controler and tried like a sweep pad with the right compression....

Hey that's cool. Definitely some space that might need filling near the start. Even some sort of simple pad.

I listened to this in the same way as I do Neil's "Decade": in the background while doing some work stuff. It's very good. I like the piano/guitar play-off.

I love lyrics, but on stuff like this I don't really listen to them on the first few listens. So I wonder what it is about? Will have to listen a few more times I guess :)

Thanks. And keep them coming.
aspiring

I couldn't get enough buffer to run it in one go even on pretty fat broadband. From what I could get through - 4 stops is enough to stop me entirely - sorry.
I prefer the sound pre electric guitar entry - I liked the holes in the backing.
It does kind of recall Neil Young's Alabama which is why the brain reached for a strident banjo.
I liked what I hearc except for the electric though.
Cheers
rayC

hey those cheap mics arent that bad for the tracks if you tweakem...

i used a 990 for all last year on everything gives a good lofi vibe...

Back