Lovesong + Harmonica

acoustic sounds great............the harmonica is mixed in very well for a collab............

nice vocals.............i like the way the guitar and voice kind of share a melody.........the harmonies sound great too......any tips on mixing backing vocals (this is a question i seem to ask everyone now, as i seem to suck at it)?

good song man

Thanks powderfinger:

As for background vocals perhaps:

1. pan them off centre
2. eq out a little top end to take away some presence
3. add more reverb
4. turn them down.. don't compete with main vocal

just suggestions

I liked this a lot the first time you posted it. It's much better now. This is one that definitely worked out for the tune. It's still got the sparseness that I love, but it doesn't have any gaps now. The harp is a perfect compliment to this...very nicely done..no ego. But I'm a total sucker for luuuuuushhhh bg vox, and those backups are MAKING this song for me right now. I hesitated for a second before I listened, because I tend to get a song stuck in my head a certain way, and then I'm kinda' jolted in an unpleasant way.

Not jolted in an unpleasant way here AT ALL.

Man erichenryus, quit wasting your time on the percussive noise thing...LOL. All that stuff's just filler. Your vocals are top freakin' notch....I'll shut up now, b/c I'm not doing Pete justice, or the song...But honestly, those backups are outstanding to me. Less is more - I can't seem to do that...I'd have walked all over the song, LOL.

Really, my only complaint in the entire song is that laugh you employ before the "you still make me laugh" line...it sounds contrived to me,...like you'd tracked it already about 9 times - and it's one distraction to me in an otherwise sincere song. My honest opinion, either laugh or delete, LOL.

One of my favorites, made even better...that's a rarity.
(the tune could use a little angst in it, perhaps an 11th hour breakup of the marriage in the 11th year, LOL. THEN IT'D BE PERFECT

Pete, I really like that harmonica. Especially right at the very end of the song. Some very nice phrasing. I had to strain to hear it at the beginning of the song so I think the level could come up just a bit there but it was spot on near the end.

So Chrisharris, I'll just forget about that last offer I made you then? :)

I really like this song. I guess I said that before? This song is one of my top listens from the board.....and not just cause I'm in there.

Oh and powder. I think the bgv's mix in well partly cause the mic I'm using has a dip in the 2.5k range. It's just that range I'm told that gives a male vocal some 'presence'. Which is a really bad thing for using as a mic on a lead vocal. Which leads me to consider buying one of those mics that dres has. Which makes me think more and more about my entire vocal chain and how much money can be spent on just that! My poor kid is gonna have to forgive me one day for all of his future education fund going to my trivial habits.

Hi Dres.

I remember this song well from your first post 'cause I liked it so welll then. This was the "13 years with no sex till you write me a love song" song right?:D :D :D

In all seriousness, it's very refreshing to hear someone say they still are in love after 13 years. Congratulations.

Why'd you bury the harmonica at the beginning? It was better towards the end.

Yeah that lush vocal chorus gives me chicken skin. If it was mine, I would mix that section like a choir. Make it HUGE and in stereo, with the lead vocal barely distinguishable from the rest, and back off the guitars just for that part. But it's not mine, and it is great as is.

And Chris, for your 11th hour idea, you'd have to completely redo the song, with a new chorus......I'm thinking "Your Love is an Anchor Round My Neck........":eek:

Apologies for not responding after the weekend guys .. I completely forgot about this thread.

Chris : Thanks for your compliments .. it means a lot knowing your work. My slow songs are always my best ... but collaborations rule and have lifted this song to a higher level. I was listening to the harp again last night on this song ... did you know Pete actually purchased a new harp for this ? (or used me as an excuse ;) )... it sounds pritty sweet. Pete mixed it in so if the levels are wrong at the start you'd better tell him... I actually don't have the separate harp track.
Believe it or not the "contrived laugh" isn't contrived. It just happened. I subsequently liked it and tried to contrive it on further takes but ... it just sounded contrived a second time (is there an echo in here ?) ...so I eventually stuck with the first take.
Glad you enjoy the song .. it's a special one for sure.

erichenryus: Thanks again for your involvement. I agree totally with chris ... your bgvs really add something special. But DO NOT get rid of your V-Drums ... you will regret it .. and I'll be left in a club by myself :( Now chris has had a go at a "love song" maybe you should give it a shot too ? (I could do bgv's)

twist: Thanks for your comments ... believe it or not there are couples out there, still in love after 60 years. The world's not completely dark as some would have you believe.... just depends who you talk to. Thanks again.

Wow...I like this song. The harp is schweet in there. The bgv's are nice.

The only thing that bothered me a little about the song is that at 7 you were dreaming about marrying someone. I still thought girls were icky at that age ;) :D. I almost would have liked to see a child's relationship blossom into an adult relationship. But I guess that's been done a thousand and one times (but what hasn't I guess) :D. But hey if that's your experience then that's what the song needs to be.

But, I really like the song...did I mention that.

This goes into the keepers folder for me.

Nice work all of yas.

I don't think I've said how much I love collabs for a week or so, so I will repeat...I LOVE COLLABS. They bring out the best in us and I've yet to hear one where the sum wasn't greater than the whole of the parts and once again, it proves to be the case.

dres......a very nice song man. I liked it the first time but you're correct.....this collab has elevated it. Nice work.

Erichenryus.....I didn't know you sang so well man......these harmonies are extremely cool......an excellent job. BTW....the final tracks to Sweet Home are supposed to be in the mail to me so we should have something soon.

Muze......I love the harp. It can be an amazingly expressive instrument and you play it well. I agree that it should come up in the mix, especially at the beginning.

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

Back