Love Stinks...J. Geils Band Cover

Boo Radley

Headbobber
I thought this one would be a fun one to do and boy what a pain in the butt it turned out to be!! A lot more challenging that what I thought, especially during mixdown. It took about 8 vocal tracks just to get even close to the chorus. It's all me though, so hopefully I did it justice.

I stayed pretty faithful to the original, substituting guitars for the keyboard parts and trying to beef up the guitars and drums a bit.

Lemme know what you think!! Sorry about the doo doo quality of myspace uploads (what is it, 96kpbs?) but it was the quickest way to get it up here.

Update...here's a link to Soundclick...the quality should be a little better.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=667746

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:
Everything sounds pretty good, except for the trailing vibrato in your voice on the lead vocal.

Peter Wolf ain't got it, never had it, and it sounds too bizarre and "sing-songy" for this type of tune.

The guitars sound really good!

Yeah I remember this one. Guitars do sound good. During the chorus a couple of the snare hits drop out here and there when it gets busy. You gotta not lose the snare. Otherwise real good cover

I used to love this song when I was a little kid. I had it on 45. :D

I love fun covers, and this one sounds pretty good. I think myspace is killing it though. The backups in the chorus sound like theres a lot of fighting for room, but I'm sure it's just crappy myspace. The performance and sounds are pretty damn spot on. Nice big fat sounds. Good job. :)

Thanks for the comments gang. I went ahead and posted a new link to soundclick where the mp3 quality will be a tiny bit better.

I guess this is a good lesson in what to do when instruments starting fighting for space in a busy mix...I simply used a volume envelope to boost the snare by 2db during the chorus parts. Probably not the best approach to use in all situations, but I think okay for this one.

Back