Love me? Hate me? LISTEN TO THIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khompewtur

*Retired*
Since this is gonna get one-starred anyway i am not slaving over this project another minute. I've been working on this for the last 3 weeks and almost the last 48 hours straight and i'm beat. It quickly spiralled out of control track wise and mixing was very difficult. As always anyones comments on the mixing, writing, tracking, etc.. are welcome. If you are someone i've pissed off lately and you wanna come in and take a crap on my work be my guest (this isn't a short list).

I tried to pay very close attention to the details of the panning and motion, and I wanted to try to get the guitars to "morph" if that's possible (without using an x-y controller, although i'd like to try that next).

What with me trying to prove my solo abilities im not sure if i tried to "over-solo" here. Let me know if you think it's a bit too much.

"Shifter"

Writing as I'm listening:

Damn, I'm listening in cans and this is downright spooky. What's that you're doing to your voice? Sounds like a couple of tracks, one pitched down quite a bit? Cool effect. I gotta say, I'm really expecting this to go apeshit loud and heavy at some point - there is a lot of tension build-up and I feel like it could use a big release.

And this would just be a zillion times better with better drums. I mean, a tune like this really suffers when you're waiting for some booming bashing monster drums and you get... casio.

Ha! Love the ending.

Yep, after another listen, I think the solo section is where it all peaks and that should be more fiery. Louder, heavier, more dynamically seperate from the rest of the tune. There's great build-up here that doesn't quite deliver.

But definitely some cool stuff going on. Enjoyed it.

Chris

really cool builds.....

could use better drums..........

lyrics are ass though man.....no flame intended....

I had to read them on you page to understand them.....

I think this music could stand on it's own without vox/lyrics....

good guitar sounds man...I dig it............

Joe

Very cool! Dark atmosphere. The ending is grrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Sure, solo is a bit over-the-top, but I love over-the-top (I also like Buckethead, you know ;) )

I kinda like the tension buildup without a release....

Khompewtur said:
Since this is gonna get one-starred anyway i am not slaving over this project another minute.

this is the wrong attitude my man.. Why would the amount of stars have anything to do with the amount of time you spend on a song?

Anyho, I really like the mood of this tune, but I'm not too into the vocal effects on this one.. I like the guitar riff, and the drums don't bother me too much in a NIN sort of way.. nice soloing...

this is one of those tunes that you can't really say what's good or what's bad because it's all subjective on this one.. I would have liked more real vocals because your voice seems like it's good..

Cooool man....
Very conceptual and cooool! I dig the way you are moving different elements in the rhythm.....

Re: Mix----Imo, Bring UP the drums a little. I really liked all of the vocals up to 4 min. Maybe try compressing the piss out of them at that point, and/or stripping that metalic edge off of the effects... ..... I dunno...

very cool listen man!!
g

I know you're probably not crazy about the drums, but I'd still mix them like you mean it, instead of letting them drown in the background. I at least want to hear what you had in mind for them. Some very cool stuff goin on in there, and I especially like the kinda droning mood of it. Mix suggestions on a piece like this are especially subjective. I'd re-do the drums and keep the rest. I liked it.

Twist

Well, I'm looking forward to listening to this one when I get home. I always enjoy your stuff, whether I post in all your threads or not. I'll check back in when I've heard it.

Re: Re: Love me? Hate me? LISTEN TO THIS!

B.SABBATH said:
this is the wrong attitude my man.. Why would the amount of stars have anything to do with the amount of time you spend on a song?
Dude... what is it with you stealing all my thunder lately...?? :eek: :p :D I was aboot to say the same thing.

Seriously Khomp... if you even think aboat a meaningless ratings system on a freaking internet forum as some kind of motivation for making your music, then you need a new motivation. :p

Btw... Nobody pays attention to the stars... at least, nobody who's been around for more than five minutes. :p They're completely irrelevant to the quality of the song, and everyone knows it... so get over it already. :p

WATYF

This totally sucked ass, and I'm giving it one star...

Naw, I'm not petty.

Pretty cool song...I think the drum comments are b/c they're just too quiet. I think it's okay to use anything for a drum sound, as long as it's loud enough to be huge.

I actually don't dig the rhythm git sounds (sounds DI'd), but all my electric guitar tones totally suck, so I wouldn't listen to me.

B.Sabbath is right, btw - The opinions of some dicks on a BBS about your music should have very little to do with whatever you wanna' do with music. If 4 out of 5 people say "turn the vocal up," then that's useful; but beyond that?

[edit] - and if you think I'm the guy that tagged this with one-star, you're wrong. I didn't even see it until this morning, and, more importantly, I'm not gay... lol.

Last edited:
alright you big ol' pussflap..

that growling thing in the background is pretty cool..
yes the drums suck ...the programming is sweet i ike the rythym the sound sucks tho. not a fan of the "possesed by demons" style of singing BUT when i hear your voice pretty much singing regular i like it ...the rythym really is "get in your head-ish"..nice job..ok "its not heavan"..that part i LOVE THE VOCALS..and the guitar solo's ..man this would get over the hump with a HUGE drum track...

get one of those.
jamal(starless):D

get what you need out of my words..NOT OUT OF ME LUCKY CHARMS!!!:D

Ditto the drum comments. If you are going with the programmed drums, why not just stick in a hip-hop drum loop? I think that would make a cool blend of styles. I hate suggesting wholesale changes like that as I like to hear the artist's vision, but something needs to be done with the drums.

I kinda enjoyed this, but why is it so long?? I think if you chopped it in half it would make a second listen more tolerable.

jus so you know cowboy, I`m downloading this right now at 56k doo-u-long-time cheap, so dont come up sayin I ignore you :)

I got the munchies real bad, I got bout a 1/2 bag or oreos and some garlic dip....
:)

I`ll be bock!

---------------

a nestle crunch bar lateer and I`ve heard it. I like the backin tracks a lot. pretty deep. good mood and had some sonic goodies goin on down deep in it. The guitar started standing out real nice at around 5:00, sounded hot and more intense, likin that mean tone. The key change was a little more linear than I would have anticipated but it carried the tune on out. Cool stuff.. even those drums sounded ok for that particular piece but a little smore punch would be nice.

Last edited:
Hey there peeps.. yep thanks everyone that is a nice response. Everyone seemed pretty judicious and fair here. I have the feeling i did something right because so far one person hates what the other like (Yes i know everyone hates the drums, me too :D ) Well we finally dragged a kit up to my place so soon people soon.

groucho - Yep, always the drums. Today i begin my drum education. Part I miking snares. Not sure how soon i'll be able to put it to practical use but i'm glad to know that most of the stuff i've done so far can be revised down the road by having it's artificial sections stripped off and replaced with organic.

I hear what you are saying about that release man, I wanted to find it too it was just .... elusive. Thanks for your comments.

joro - Hey thank you joro, you were up pretty late last night as well eh? If you want ominous lyrics it's not always easy, sorry you didn't like em. I did think about just instrumental.

Pedullist - Hi Ped, good morning. Thank you for listening, I always hope you do. I will have to learn more about Buckethead. Yep i was thinkin the same way bout that solo

SABBATH - Yeah, i really wasn't serious when I said the stars would affect the amount of time I put into this, it was just a disclaimer because there was a big brouhaha last night over ratings. The vox were really tough for me, i thought something more structured might show up but it never did. Maybe one day.

Guernica - Thanks Guernica, yeah I tried to pack this baby with subtleties if i could. I recorded some of the rhythm parts 7 times with different eq/dist settings so i could (try to) move seamlessly between the colorations.

twist - Yep i hear ya. The problem I'm always having with drums are they are always 1 tracked and i can't squish that much out of them with out inducing some serious clipping. My goal is always to try to make you forget about the drums and pay attention to something else. It's a tough game.

mbuster - Thank mbuster I appreciate you taking a listen.

WATYF - First off thanks for the listen WAYTF. Yep, i hear ya about the stars but this brings up something I'd like to say about them.

The rating system will never impact my views on my production or quality of the song, but in my experiences stars have come to mean something. Not a large thing, but definitely something tangible.

When someone goes back and seeks out my threads and labels them with one star while leaving all the other threads unmolested it is basically saying to me "I don't like you, you're not welcome on this board. I want to fill the road you've chosen with more discouragement". I don't change my approach to music based on this, but I am now aware of an adversarial presence in the board.

Stars mean "recognition from peers" more than they reflect overall production qualities. I can't speak for anyone else but I do crave recognition for my work, i want to be heard. When i got a 5 I did feel a little bit of pride as if I had achieved something and when I get a 1 I always feel a little bit of disappointment. Call me crazy, you can always ignore the critics but you always read the papers.

You can't tell me they mean completely nothing because I've seen all of us use them for some purpose or another at some point in time, and if they were really useless why not just deactivate them completely so all threads are unrated. Stars are not so much for evaluating production as they are for sending a public and confidential message. Ok moving on...

chrisharris - chris you baby. Everyone's saying stars don't mean nothing and here it is yesterday you starting cursing at me and making threads talking smack about me because I 1 dinged your thread and admitted it. No matter how many times everyone says it don't mean nothing, don't believe the hype. Maybe not in a huge way, but in some small way people care....I really haven't let them get to me outside of HRC#3 I have like 11 1 dingers in row, have I given up? Hell no.

You don't like those guits? They are DI'd from my Zoom-PS02. I have a Mesa 150 Triple Rec a Marshall Jubilee 25/50 with a t.c. electronic Gmajor and Digitech sitting right behind me and what do I overwhelmingly like for my guitars?? My little palm sized practice unit, go figure, anyway i've used those amps on others stuff but they didn't get to make an appearance here.

Thanks for finally posting a comment on one of my threads chris. Your feedback is appreciated.

Lt. Bob - Thank you Bob, I hope you find at least something worthwhile in taking the time with this.

Jamal - Yep that's it I'm gonna tackle the live drums on this probably trying to match the pattern already in place. LOL one vote for the vox after 4:00 one vote against, one vote for the vox before 4:00 two votes against. 2 votes for the guits 2 votes against. I think it's neat not getting and concensus here. I tried to understand your last line but dammit! what are you talking about? :confused: :D Thank you for listening!

ashulman - Thank you. You know i experimented with a techno thing a few weeks back with hip/hop drums. It didn't turn out as bad as I expected. I think I'm gonna try my hand at organic here.

lynx - I hear ya. I often felt like I had become stuck in melding two complete songs together. Help! Thanks for listening.

Toki987 - Sorry about the download only Toki, i got rid of AOL and I don't have a pay-email account to sign up for Nowhere. I think 5:00 was where I dropped the dual leads and panned one guitar center to finish. Garlic dip and oreos?? Hmm, have we been uhm "fishing"? ;) Thank you Toki.

Khompewtur said:

The rating system will never impact my views on my production or quality of the song, but in my experiences stars have come to mean something. Not a large thing, but definitely something tangible.

......man, this is a subject that has probably been beaten to death in here long ago.... ...but to me, ......you're goddamn right they mean something. I understand why folks discount them. They are abused as a means of taking personal "shots" that have absolutely nothing to do with the poster's work. And, as long as this happens, some folks are going to ignore them...... and, ...rightfully so. It's a shame too.
I've never had a use for anything less than 5 stars. To me, Its either an excellent representation of a persons work as compared to that persons previous work (5 stars), or its not quite what I (very humbly) feel that person is capable of. What we need is for folks to treat them honorably, whatever their criteria. With my dial-up situation, I am much more likely to listen to a tune w/ a bunch of stars beside it than i am to a song with 100 replies and no stars. I see them as a pat on the back for a job well done.... ....and something to be proud of. That's why i always let folks know when i dump a 5 on them...... ...."I AM IMPRESSED with what youve done".

As long as those little sparkly things sit next to your name and your work, they will always mean something.

....sometimes these soapbox rants really make me feel like a fag :D

pretty freakin' cool.......I like the growley thing panning around.....neat guitar part building up in the beginning although it jumbles up every once in a while, as if either the guitar or bass stumbles briefly........very cool vocal FX, I'll have to read through the thread and see how you did that.....I don't hate the drums as much as everyone else does, I think you could EQ them fatter and mix them hotter....add a few crashes and fills and they'd sound at least decent.......don't really care for the 'dixieland' guitar rides (meaning playing two rides at once ), I like it much better when the one rides drops out............I really, really like the force this builds up to at the end with that relentless drive.......hate the ending, having the drums drop out like that and then just petering out seems like a letdown, personally I'd rather hear a fade or tight stop on this song....you've built up all that power and then it just kinda ends in this wussy no-energy way......
very cool movement here....sounds like it should be part of a larger piece......nice!

As for the stars issue.......I personally never, and I mean never ever, not a single time, have the faintest idea what my threads are rated.....it's a part of the screen that I don't even glance at; don't know why but I never have; and I also never ever rate any other threads for the same reason. I'm virtually unaware that a rating system exists because it's so useless.
Now, obviously, I can't speak for everyone, but I bet I'm not the only person here that feels the same way.
And I've heard some folks complain that there's someone who goes aroung 1-starring but that's been from before Chris was around here.
However.....noticing your rating when I came to your thread.......I'm gonna break with what has been my practice, and give you a 5 just to get you to shut up about the freakin' stars......and I'm gonna be pissed if now all of a sudden, I start noticing those stupid things. :rolleyes:

.....with all due respect.... ....you do notice my brother. Like i mentioned, i understand why they are ignored ....and with good reason.

....but you do notice.

Never One To Leave Well Enough Alone

Khompewtur said:
chrisharris - chris you baby. Everyone's saying stars don't mean nothing and here it is yesterday you starting cursing at me and making threads talking smack about me because I 1 dinged your thread and admitted it. [/B]
You still don't get it. It didn't have anything to do with you dinging my thread (I told you I did it too); I didn't even care (go read the thread) until you started telling me what a self-promoting whore you think I am; what pissed me off was the personal attack, which you basically admitted was the reason you dinged it in the first place. In short, you did what you said you hate people doing to you. (going back and one-starring old threads). I've never done that?? I've never "voted" on one of your threads, period...and now I wouldn't, b/c since you've been such a girl about it, there's no way any vote from me would be valid (I'd either over-vote to make nice, or ding ya' b/c you're a prick).

Either way, it's a cool song. I CAN be objective about tunes. Just leave me alone, dude. I have plenty of conflict in my life without it being brought into my hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back