Love Or Confusion - Jimi Hendrix cover

I appreciate the effort Stratmonkee. I'm a huge Hendrix fan (I've only got 7 or 8 versions of Electric Ladyland myself).

I would cut way back on the echo/reverb, especially on the vocals. It just blurs everything.

No way that vocal is too loud ..... and, as Talisman pointed out. way too much delay/verb ....... that's really all I'm hearing of the vox .... the vocal needs to be much more present.
On Hendrix's recordings pretty much all of them have his vocals really present.

Nice job on the tracks though and the vox, what I can hear of it, sounds fine

Yeah agree there's too much reverb on the vocal. You could try adding distortion and/or pitch shifting to the vocal if you want to thicken it up. Nice guitar break with the whammy bar. It's a fun jam

Agreed on vocals...not enough presence..too far back and too much effect. Try adding some more DRY to it or add a second track of nothing but dry and blend the two together. I think the mix as a whole as too much verb. I think the playing and vocals sound good, the mix is just not there.

What everyone else has said. :)
That mix is really washed out in all the effect.
Aside from the mix aspect, very cool.
One thing sticks out to me... the solo. The song really comes together there. The vocals should be more like that. Up front.

Very brave of you to even record a Hendrix tune. You know you’re up against a gold standard there, right?? :)

Talismanrich, Lt.Bob, Bulls Hit, Brutish, RFR....thanks for listening guys and your feedback...pretty unanimous about the vocals eh :D? You know, Ive always dug the Stone Temple Pilots guy singing thru the megaphone sound, so I used a plug on the vocals called bullhorn, then added a ton of verb :p...yeah did not turn out the way I thought it would and a day later after revisiting...ugh. Well I totally re sang the vocals today and think I may have them at least clearer , not sure if its better as I can now really hear myself:p anyways heres the new mix...I did remove the old one and trashed it ....thanks you guys for listening and commenting!

LoVE OR CONFUSION by stratmonkee | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Listened earlier this morning to first mix and agreed with all the comments made by others. Just revisited the original Hendrix track to provide a better critique. Logged on and heard the new mix.
Sounds a lot better, really very good performances and mix. Great job !!

Listened earlier this morning to first mix and agreed with all the comments made by others. Just revisited the original Hendrix track to provide a better critique. Logged on and heard the new mix.
Sounds a lot better, really very good performances and mix. Great job !!

Cool, thanks! Yeah funny how sometimes you hear a song and your brain adds things that may not be there, for this song, when I 1st was planning it, I had the image of the original vocals being really drenched in reverb echoey...but having re listened was surprised how that was not the case... always cool to deep dive into Hendrix material, a once in a lifetime artist imo!

Nice guitar work. If you got "Strat" in your name, you know how to play it. :p

Didn't hear the 1st mix. This one sounds good. I didn't hear any problems with the vocals; performance or mix.
Lots of wash going on and sometmes it steps on the other parts. But as a whole, I get what you're going for and it's a good approach.

One thing you might try is to put a band-pass EQ on the delay and/or reverb. Only allow a small range of frequencies on the effects. You'll still get the effect, but it won't fill out the whole spectrum. Like for your guitar; it covers from about 200hz to 4 khz, but you can EQ the delay so it only covers from say 900hz - 1.5khz. You'll still hear it, but it won't be reinforcing the 200hz range. That kinda thing. Just an idea.

Yeah man.

Nice guitar work. If you got "Strat" in your name, you know how to play it. :p

Didn't hear the 1st mix. This one sounds good. I didn't hear any problems with the vocals; performance or mix.
Lots of wash going on and sometmes it steps on the other parts. But as a whole, I get what you're going for and it's a good approach.

One thing you might try is to put a band-pass EQ on the delay and/or reverb. Only allow a small range of frequencies on the effects. You'll still get the effect, but it won't fill out the whole spectrum. Like for your guitar; it covers from about 200hz to 4 khz, but you can EQ the delay so it only covers from say 900hz - 1.5khz. You'll still hear it, but it won't be reinforcing the 200hz range. That kinda thing. Just an idea.

Yeah man.

Great idea, I really need to try that... I feel the same way with a lot of my mixes have a washed blurred feeling , while most of the stuff I hear on there is so nice and tight and well defined. I need to learn how to use the band pass eq to clean my stuff up! Appreciate your feedback, going to do some digging on this and try it!

Back