The Lounge Lizard

Open

Finally finished the second part of the Trilogy. The first part was I'm Talking to you. Thanks to all who commented on that song as I gained a lot of valuable feedback. Any
comments on the song, production and recording will be very helpful. This is the first mix.

www.soundclick.com/open
The Lounge Lizard

Okay guys, even if you are not enamored with the song, what are your thoughts on the mixdown?

I like that the song has different-sounding parts. I think the mixing is really good. Lots of stereo usage and great natural sounding ambience to it, even though you're not using delay. Aside from having abrupt sound changes within the song, I think people would really go for this sound. You seem to be a jack of all trades in this song with the various instruments and software.

Your vocals sometimes remind me of those in Mute Math.
Lyrics seems to be about the prodigal son...am I right? I like 'em.

I like that the song has different-sounding parts. I think the mixing is really good. Lots of stereo usage and great natural sounding ambience to it, even though you're not using delay. Aside from having abrupt sound changes within the song, I think people would really go for this sound. You seem to be a jack of all trades in this song with the various instruments and software.

Your vocals sometimes remind me of those in Mute Math.
Lyrics seems to be about the prodigal son...am I right? I like 'em.

Thanks! Yeah, this is part 2 of a trilogy inspired by the parable of the prodigal son. Thanks for the comparison to Mutemath.

Sounds good, I like the sudden drop to lizard land. Is this a new Joe's Garage?
There's a lot going on which was hard on the old grey matter to make a focus for critiquing.

There's a lot going on which was hard on the old grey matter to make a focus for critiquing.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frustrated, although i was. I realize it is a lot to
digest. That's why I would love comments even if it were just on the mix/recording. Here's one question I have for anyone. Do the violin and sax parts sound fake?

Sounds pretty cool. With stuff like this there aren't really any rules so you can pretty much mix it any way you want.

The constant vibrato on the violin gives it away. The higher register sax and violin stuff sound fake.

Typing as listening... the intro combined with the picture is pretty freaky! Can't understand the vocal intro... Mix sounds good where the guitar comes in, then the tune goes to the lounge feel. Nice feel there. I like the vocal sound there, mix sounds good. Has kind of a live feel. Then the rock part comes in, sounds good too. Nice keyboard addition... then back to freaky at 2:00. Nice transition to acoustic. I actually don't mind the sound of the fake instruments.

Overall I enjoyed the tune.. well done... I dig the random style going on there :D

Joes' garage. That's a good one. It's definitely not easy listening.

Back