Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost And Found... mix help

Thanks

Lost And Found... mix help

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay, so I've not been around much lately so I feel a little guilty asking for a listen, but I've got this mix that I think needs a little help.

Things sound a little tubby in the lower mids and I'm not sure if it's a vocal that's a little too round, or a stackup of freqs caused by the guitar layering.

I've had a headcold lately, so things aren't sounding right anyhow, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.soldrocks.com/mp3/lostandfound.mp3

*right-click, save-as*

Thanks
    Decent feel. I liked the chorus - especially the vocals.

I didn't care a whole lot for the guitar sounds. The guitars are a bit abrasive sounding and covering the vocals. To a lesser extent, they're covering the bass. There is a boxy sound to it.

Some vocal oddities at different points in the song (e.g., the word "can't" at 1:56).

Thanks
    I just loved this.

The drums sound great - please tell me they're real!

Great singing. The first part of the chorus is a little OTT for my taste, but very impressive. The verses and the second half of the chorus (carried my cross) is perfect.

The octave-doubling on the second verse is very precise, and sounds great. Is that real or processed?

Guitars maybe a little harsh, but it's a very good mix of a great song.

Don't know why this one does it for me, but it does. Great stuff.

Cheers

AB

Thanks
    Really enjoyed this tune as well. The chorus is off the hook, it sounds like a different singer, really strange and cool all at the same time. Guitars are a little off - sound wise - not much though, maybe a tad cleaner.

Thanks
    Great harmony vocals in the beginning.

The baritone verse intro is exactly what I want to do in my intro, for the tune I currently have up. What kind of vocal mic is that ?

Chorus vocal is sitting in the mix well, in contrast to the baritone 'closer to your face'. Nicely done chorus vocal, very little sibilance on a high register male vocal that can easily develop that especially with doubling, and I'm seeing here one of those tracks may need EQ reductions in the upper freqs to keep that sibilance from occuring.

At 1:44 the octave split in the voice is very, very nicely done.

Intense, and gets thick and intense, but never muddy, great seperation as usual across the whole stereo spectrum. I especially like the right field push on the drums if I"m hearing that correctly, and I don't think a single stick is overmixed.

It gets hot in the upper freqs too, but never too hot, never anywhere near uncomfortable. This is generally a bit of a tamer mix, (sonically), than what you usually present and I'm liking the contrasts a lot as lynx says ... different singers in here !

All verse lyric is easily understandable, chorus, there a few tiny challenges, but that's nit. This is a door number 2 tune IMHO.

Everything is well balanced levels wise, everything 'has it's sonic place' in the mix.

I like the march militare' drum outro, like skeltons all clacking along ...

Great performance, great stuff ... rock on !
    Performing and recording with real violin, viola, and cello for bands and artists.

Thanks
    Thanks everybody for the help:

TripleM - I'm not crazy about the guitar sound either as I was experimenting with different placements, mics, and pres through the whole process. I've been trying to enlarge my repertoire outside of the SM57... Apparently I still have work to do.
    Is there anything particular that you didn't care for? Admittedly it would be difficult to pinpoint as there are 6 layered tracks during the chorus... oops. Overkill anyone?

alibish - Yes, the drums are real! It's taken me over a year to perfect a real drum sound, and it's good to hear that someone else likes it, so thank you! The vocal octave during the second verse is real too. The singer just doubled it. He's an amazing talent.

lynx - Maybe I've got too many guitars going at once! Probably a little less twist on the gain all around would help out. Thanks for your comments.

studioviols - I'm glad you picked up on the tamer mix. I actually think it was you who really pointed out to me on one of my other mixes how hyped the bass was, and that hit home. I went and really reviewed all of my mixes and A/B'd them with other stuff, and man, I was really mixing things over-the-top.

Thanks
    I like your tunes a ton. (okay, it's only the 2nd one I've heard, but I can tell, lol). The singer sounds sooooo much like this guy who sang for a band called the Grand Street Cryers that it's creepy.

Anyway, I think the guitars bugged me when they first came in, but then I totally got used to them.

Nice job in my opinion...wish I could be more helpful. Oh, I'm listening on some nearfield monitors, didn't really check the super low end...so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks
    Originally posted by volthause

studioviols - I'm glad you picked up on the tamer mix. I actually think it was you who really pointed out to me on one of my other mixes how hyped the bass was, and that hit home. I went and really reviewed all of my mixes and A/B'd them with other stuff, and man, I was really mixing things over-the-top.
    That was me, lol...you caught me in my "subsonic" phase, lol. It's important though.

Thanks
    Originally posted by chrisharris
    That was me, lol...you caught me in my "subsonic" phase, lol. It's important though.
    Ah, okay. Well, I have to thank you very much for that! I feel that you helped me tune my ear, and that's it's made a huge improvement in my mixing style.

Thanks
    Nice job all around. Mix sounds good to me. Drums sound great. I like the guitar sound. Kind of gritty against the rest of song. Nice contrast for me.

Personally I did not like the chorus. I don't know what it was. Just didn't appeal. Maybe not my style. I really like the verses though. Just preferences.

Very nice work.

Thread Information