Looking for review and suggestions on this incomplete track

It's pretty quiet. Could use some more volume in it. And that's my only nit. The sounds you have are good, and I like the direction it's heading.

Really cool dramatic vibe here, really dig the guitar tones.
Like Dogman already said, had to turn up the volume some after everything I've been listening to. I've found some decent new voluming techniques I'm using if you want to hear them...
Yeah definitely sounds incomplete since it ended so quick and abrupt.
Okay... just a random song suggestion... the middle rocking section is a real cool break, but right after that ends and you just have drums for a moment, you should go back to something like you did in the intro. Then keep that going and start adding electric powerchords behind that part as it builds to the dramatic ending.
Hehe, just ideas, good stuff ;)

Dogman said:
It's pretty quiet. Could use some more volume in it. And that's my only nit. The sounds you have are good, and I like the direction it's heading.
Thanks Dogman for listening. You're always my first comment. :) I'm glad someone listens to the stuff as soon as I post. :p.

Yeah the track is not clipping, yet. Still trying to figure out how loud the dist. guitar in the chorus (towards the end in this demo) is gonna be. Then I'll raise the vol. until it clips. :) Then probably use Track Compressor. :)

So the song doesn't bring out any particular feelings or is it pretty ordinary any other guy playing guitar with some bends a generous reverb on top of fake drums?

How's about them drums?

Thanks again. :)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Really cool dramatic vibe here, really dig the guitar tones.
Like Dogman already said, had to turn up the volume some after everything I've been listening to. I've found some decent new voluming techniques I'm using if you want to hear them...
Yeah definitely sounds incomplete since it ended so quick and abrupt.
Okay... just a random song suggestion... the middle rocking section is a real cool break, but right after that ends and you just have drums for a moment, you should go back to something like you did in the intro. Then keep that going and start adding electric powerchords behind that part as it builds to the dramatic ending.
Hehe, just ideas, good stuff ;)
Thanks dude for listening. :)

Yeah, I'm listening to any voluming techniques you may have. Also I haven't raised the volume to the point of clipping, yet!

The middle rocking section is supposed to be the chorus - somewhat sung, somewhat rapped in that real growling way. After that when the drums continue, I was thinking of going back to the intro part. But I hadn't thought of adding power chords. Thanks for that suggestion. Maybe some off power chords.

This is my JCM 900 simulator on the guitar. Simulanalog or something. I can look it up if anyone's interested.

bigbubba said:
Thanks dude for listening. :)

Yeah, I'm listening to any voluming techniques you may have. Also I haven't raised the volume to the point of clipping, yet!

The middle rocking section is supposed to be the chorus - somewhat sung, somewhat rapped in that real growling way. After that when the drums continue, I was thinking of going back to the intro part. But I hadn't thought of adding power chords. Thanks for that suggestion. Maybe some off power chords.

This is my JCM 900 simulator on the guitar. Simulanalog or something. I can look it up if anyone's interested.

Sure, so you mean you plan on having vocals for this?
yeah in that case if you consider the first part verse 1, then when you do the a similar thing for verse 2, power chords might add a lot of build to the overall song... just a thought...

Alright, to my new technique,
I think I've told you about Goldwave, the free program? If not... www.goldwave.com
once you load up a file in there go to the effects menu and select compressor/expander. Once in there under "presets" choose "reduce peaks"
If you notice the waveform after this.. it'll sound almost exactly the same, but it'll be lower and a lot more uniform since it reduced all the parts sticking out of the mix.
Then from there go to the effect menu and select volume. From there you can raise the volume a lot and find the right volume right below clipping (which is easy to see in the waveform)

Hope that helps, cheers

SnakeDog5050 said:
Sure, so you mean you plan on having vocals for this?
yeah in that case if you consider the first part verse 1, then when you do the a similar thing for verse 2, power chords might add a lot of build to the overall song... just a thought...

Alright, to my new technique,
I think I've told you about Goldwave, the free program? If not... www.goldwave.com

Hope that helps, cheers

Yes, I have lyrics for the piece. Don't know if I'll sing them or not, yet. So the main melody on the guitar will go away. I only have half of the first verse played. There another piece before this song starts, that I haven't written the music for yet. Would that be too long of a verse? Probably? Maybe I'll stick a second verse as short as this recording and then use the first half of the original verse that I have now as the bridge.

Yeah, I know Goldwave. I use it for fast format changing if I don't have my mixing programs available. :) Good technique. I'm gonna use that. That'll give me a reason to not fiddlge with the compressor in Acid Pro that I'm not convinced works.

Well, I was really digging it until the hard guitar riff came in. To me, and it's hard to tell without the vocals, it just didn't sound like it belonged at all. I liked the section right after the initial speed guitar where you sort of play some triplets and then phase back into the initial "vibe" but I would cut the fast part and simply build the song around the feel you established in the first 30 seconds or so. When I heard the song, it made me think of that surfing movie Endless Summer; had a good mellow feel to it. But, that's just my two cents! Can't wait to hear the direction you take this song.

- Leahkim

Thanks all for the input. :)

I've uploaded a v2.0 which has slightly altered drums and a different bass and bassline. Also the dist. guitar with the fast bit is different.

I've left the old version up there for comparison.

Any suggestions on drums and bass and guitars and the mix? I would like to hear more criticism so I can improve. I know when I review others' stuff, it's easy to point things out but in my own tracks, I get used to listening to them the wrong way. Besides, my mixing still sounds amatuer when best. :D

Track: Sitting Alone - v2.0
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=419303

bigbubba
The bass is really pretty distant through my stereo.
The change is pretty rad. I get what leahkim is on about - the work taht's gone into the intro shouldn't then be relegated to just being the intro - It's vvgood.
The speedo riff guitar tone sounds, just a little, like an emulator as opposed to the rela thing. Pretty fat though. I like the way it segues into the 2nd quiet phrase -
The snare is a bit too up front for me in the intro.
Sounds like you have a foot in the surfin' death metal cult!
Cheers
rayc

rayc said:
bigbubba
The bass is really pretty distant through my stereo.
The change is pretty rad. I get what leahkim is on about - the work taht's gone into the intro shouldn't then be relegated to just being the intro - It's vvgood.
The speedo riff guitar tone sounds, just a little, like an emulator as opposed to the rela thing. Pretty fat though. I like the way it segues into the 2nd quiet phrase -
The snare is a bit too up front for me in the intro.
Sounds like you have a foot in the surfin' death metal cult!
Cheers
rayc
Hey thanks for listening man. :)

The "intro" is actually the verse. So I'll actually have to cook up an intro. :D. Then the double guitar and the dist is the pre-chorus and the chorus. This is supposed to be a song.

No, no metal cults here. Just good old guitar playin' and string pickin'. :)

So the bass is distant. Does that mean I should raise the vol? It's dry track for the bass. The slight boom (and I cut quite a bit) is probably coming from the rhythm guitar when is hits open E and open A strings.

And you're a fan of turning down the snare in the "verse" part until the speed riff part? The drums don't sound too mechanical, do they?

Yeah the speed riff is the same JCM 900 simulator that the intro is using but with the dist. cranked up.

I'll keep all these points in mind when I cut the next release, hopefully with more verses and choruses done. :)

Back