Looking for nitpicks.... 2nd mix attempt

Chibi Nappa

The song is "The Greater You 2nd try". Here's the link:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2823&alid=-1

First of all, is it better than the first mix of "The Greater You" (also at the same link)? Second of all, can anybody really get picky with it and give some suggestions? I'm still in the middle of steering this mix to where it needs to be, and I'm in the neighborhood of "happy"... But this should be as perfect as I can make it. Here's the deal: The band wants to pay a pro studio to mix this stuff. This studio totally kicks my ass, no question about it. They've recorded/mixed/produced huge names for huge lables, and I'm a home recording guy. All I want to do is put out my absolute best effort so I can have a measuring stick of where I am and where I need to go.

...not that a major studio will be able to crank out a perfect sound with these tracks. There are plenty of tracking issues littering them. I should know, I recorded it. :D But still...

Oppionions are appriciated.

Last edited:
hey there. Just gave it a listen.

I hear some static in the VERY Beginning. before the music starts.. Delete that noise. And it Sounds to me like the lead guitar in the left speaker needs to come down in the mix. Try blending it with the mix a little more.

Fix that and you have yourself a winner. Move on to the next song dude. It rocks.

Steven

Yeah, the noise at the ends of the song are in need of editing, aren't they? Amazing how you can get bogged down in details and forget the simple stuff... Thanks for the tip.

Let me also throw this question out: Is there any part of the song that is working particularly well that I should make sure to not touch when finishing up?

Well, like I said before. The main thing that is standing out to me is the lead guitar in the left speaker. It is coming through WAY above the mix. Keep it panned where it is at. Just bring the volume down a little on that guitar.

Now that I am listening to it again.... I am thinking I would bring his vocals up a hair. and I do mean hair. It's a really cool melody. And his voice fits this song great. It would be nice to have it a little more up front.

I like the feedback from the guitar at the end of the song. I would start fading that guitar on the last hit of the song to make it sound a little more distant.

After you fix that. I wouldnt mess with it anymore. The whole song is working well.

Hope that helped.

Steven

Get rid of that 1/2 second of garbage at the front 1st.
I really don't like the feedback at the end. Maybe if you was fading out more it would be O.K.
I'd pan the lead git a 1/2 notch to the right and drop the volume down just a bit. A little bit....
Other than that...... it's in my favorites folder. :cool:

I agree with maybe bringing up the vocals in some spots. I like it through the verses, but in the quiet chorus part I think it could be pushed up a bit.

I like the snare sound you got. Same gig as has been stated, edit the top and tails. I'd give the kick a smalll push but that's a matter of taste. Big thumbs up bro.

Thanks guys. I was manually riding the vocal fader for the whole song. I guess it would help to get down in there and really automate it to the exact level for each section. Do you guys think the left guitar is too loud on the lead lines, the chords, or both?
Track Rat said:
I like the snare sound you got.
You have no idea how relived I am to hear that. We tracked those damn drums totally blind. I had to move my gear on the road to record at a different house. The only "control room" available was the dining room, and it had the worst accoustics you've ever heard. I had no freakin' idea what we were recording. I was praying it wouldn't all fall apart when I took it back to my familiar room at home. Well..... I ended up hating the snare for this song. I wrestled with it forever trying to make it work. I spent so much time on it I totally lost any objectivity and couldn't tell if it ended up good or not. I just knew it ceased to annoy me. :)

Chibi,

IMHO I would say try bringing it down from 0:00 to 0:45. and from 1:26 to 2:06. The volume on the lead at the end with the singing is cool Just fade it out a little smoother at the end.

Steven

this sounds good man. Its a tiny bit top heavy on the music. If you brighten that kick a tad and give it jus a little more low end push and bring the bass out a little fatter it would give you a lil stronger foundation. I might brighten the vocal a touch. you know about the other stuff already. If TR says the snare is good, it is.....very good.

I agree with Toki, just add some bottom to kick and bass and it will be totally there... Liked to song and the mix... didn't really hear a problem with vocal levels... they seem good to me...

killer job... and a totally cool tune

Shred

Back