Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for more of a composition critique than a mix one.

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by PDP View Post
    Yes the kick drum in particular. There's a double kick at the end of the loop. That's very awkward. I'd take the second hit out altogether maybe.
    I’ll rework the whole beat there.

Thanks
    This reminds me of early of Montreal. I'd look to them for inspiration on song structure.

I tried not to read other replies and be influenced so sorry if some of this has been said. I think you need space at the beginning before you jump into the vocal, even if it's just playing the chord for 4 beats... even if you hit the chord once for a whole bar or measure and then jump in... it just needs some space.

In my mind, this seems to be in an A B C A B C format, with A being your apparent chorus.

A beginning with the "fallen leaves in the winter..."
    B beginning at 0:24 with "and I'll..."
    C beginning at 0:51 with "I'm going down"
    The C section is the bridge to me.

I might consider doing an A B A C B A structure and changing the lyric in the second B section.

Mix-wise I think the timing could be tightened on the double vocal and in general the vocal could be brought down a few dB. There's a scratchiness on one of the tracks so maybe use a subtle noise remover on that, but it's not too distracting. I'd also compress the guitars a bit more personally and play with panning and expand the stereo field to make it feel wider. I think the parts themselves are fine, but again I also enjoy early of Montreal stuff so if that's not the vibe you're going for then you could certainly go in a more pop direction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grn View Post
    This reminds me of early of Montreal. I'd look to them for inspiration on song structure.

I tried not to read other replies and be influenced so sorry if some of this has been said. I think you need space at the beginning before you jump into the vocal, even if it's just playing the chord for 4 beats... even if you hit the chord once for a whole bar or measure and then jump in... it just needs some space.

In my mind, this seems to be in an A B C A B C format, with A being your apparent chorus.

A beginning with the "fallen leaves in the winter..."
    B beginning at 0:24 with "and I'll..."
    C beginning at 0:51 with "I'm going down"
    The C section is the bridge to me.

I might consider doing an A B A C B A structure and changing the lyric in the second B section.

Mix-wise I think the timing could be tightened on the double vocal and in general the vocal could be brought down a few dB. There's a scratchiness on one of the tracks so maybe use a subtle noise remover on that, but it's not too distracting. I'd also compress the guitars a bit more personally and play with panning and expand the stereo field to make it feel wider. I think the parts themselves are fine, but again I also enjoy early of Montreal stuff so if that's not the vibe you're going for then you could certainly go in a more pop direction.
    Thanks for giving it a listen and the critique! I’ve never heard of Montreal. I’ll give them a listen.

Thread Information