Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking for feedback, please...

Thanks

Talking looking for feedback, please...

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi, my name is zim and i'm a newbie out here on this board... i'd like to ask for a critique or opinion/s on my music, which is here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/zimmusic.htm

pretty much rock-oriented stuff, guitar(electric & acoustic)-based.

let me know what you think!

thanks,

ZIM

Thanks
    Mixing wise, you've got alot to learn. The first some was an absolutelly horrible mix. Things weren't tuned the same and the overal sound design didn't fit.

Composition wise, it's better. However, a song without vocals is not really a song But they are on their way as you said, so I won't say to much about that.

I'm not really hearing any super strong hooks either though. Nothing jumps out and grabs me. And once again, you need to learn how to mix dude Like the distortion guitars on Decen Song Version 2, it's just noise-noise-noise dude. And the vocals aren't that clear either.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Halion
    However, a song without vocals is not really a song
    I'm assuming by the wink you're kidding? What about the multitudes of great artists that do instrumental songs? Jazz artists like Branford Marsalis, Chick Corea and David Benoit - just to name a couple. Guess those aren't songs they're writing? Maybe having a melody - either sung or played on a solo intstrument, makes a complete song?

Zim: listened to part of the first three tunes on that site. First one sounds kinda experimental or something to me. # 2 and 3 aren't bad, but some work maybe could be done on mixing, and song structures. I won't repeat what Halion said, but I agree with a couple points made. You're off to a start with this stuff, just keep developing the music.

Thanks

thanks for just listening, fellas...

i appreciate the feedback, y'all.

song 1 (when i'm high) was a demo, actually. i just liked the rhythm, and went with it... no biggie.

i know i've got to learn to mix! it's rough to learn, i'm open for links to suggestions/lessons online...

as far as not having words for all my songs; sorry...! "for c" actually does have lyrics, they're just a little personal and i decided to keep them between me and my wife... again, no biggie. "splendido" has no words, but i'm just not keen (meaning: not very good) on thrash/death metal singing, which is what my head imagines when i hear it...

i wish there was a simple place out here on the net which was a 'meeting place' for independent, single musicians wishing to jam along together/collaborate online. if any of you know of such sites, please fill me in.

i encourage more opinions, please!!! and thanks halion and warble for your input; please don't fight ;-P

later,
    ZIM

Thanks
    "What about the multitudes of great artists that do instrumental songs? Jazz artists like Branford Marsalis, Chick Corea and David Benoit - just to name a couple."

What about them...what relation do they have to do with this? Anyhow...

...lol sorry edit...wrong topic ":P

[COLOR=Navy]http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/index.php?aid=4093[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/ender4trackmindmusic.htm[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4453&alid=-1 [/COLOR]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ender4trackmind
    "What about the multitudes of great artists that do instrumental songs? Jazz artists like Branford Marsalis, Chick Corea and David Benoit - just to name a couple."

What about them...what relation do they have to do with this? Anyhow...

...lol sorry edit...wrong topic ":P
    The relation and my post was in response to the comment "a song without vocals is not really a song". Is that OK?

Thanks
    i know i've got to learn to mix! it's rough to learn, i'm open for links to suggestions/lessons online...
    A little book I picked up and read a short while ago was:

"The Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski

Covers some of the essentials of mixing, and has some input from well known engineers and how they might approach various apsects. Good book, and pretty well recommended around here too.

as far as not having words for all my songs; sorry...! "for c" actually does have lyrics, they're just a little personal and i decided to keep them between me and my wife... again, no biggie. "splendido" has no words, but i'm just not keen (meaning: not very good) on thrash/death metal singing, which is what my head imagines when i hear it...
    Don't worry about not having words. Just keep moving forward with what you're doing.

...and thanks halion and warble for your input; please don't fight ;-P
    Ohh, I wasn't really fighting. Just thought that was a weird statement that was made. Halion's posted some good stuff around here.

Thanks
    Oh I do agree about the song/instrumental sing, but I was just thinking of why it is called a "song", beeing somewhat related to the word "sing"(ing). I listen to alot of instrumental stuff aswell, but I'd think of them more as "pieces" or "tracks", and less as songs, but either would be good I guess, doesn't really matter.

Thanks
    thanks for the info, warble. i looked at the reviews on this book on amazon, and it seems like the book for me. it's not cheap, thought ;-6

i appreciate everyone's input, really. me thinks that i may have to go and remix everything... or at least the stuff i feel strongly about.

i've got alot of other stuff, but not all complete. i think i may just put a few snippets of ideas and see what y'all consider the most promising.

Thanks
    I listened to Splendido. Is that the guitar tone you're going for? To me it's noise. Doesn't even sound like a guitar.

I actually thing this could be a pretty cool song with the right guitar tones.

The kick is clashing with the bass big time. You need to carve out some sonic space for both.

The high hat with the tamborine on it doesn't fit the song. And the snare sounds like it's not part of the same kit. Your drum kits need to be a bit more cohesive sounding. What are you using for drums?

Plus on top of all of that, it sounds smashed flat. A bit too much Wave Hammer. Maybe.

Thread Information