Looking for feedback on my mix please.....

JeffreyC

[MP3]http://spinningaroundthesun.com/Music/9%20Lanterns/BlankSpaceMaster17.mp3[/MP3]

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

That high kinda buzzy synth sound that you have floating around the top of everything forever and ever gets a bit tedious after a while, and distracts from the simple power of the rest of the song - try axing it and see if the song suffers at all. And if I was mixing this, I'd make both the pre-drum and drummed sections shorter - there's just not enough interest to sustain something this long. But shorter would work better.

Thx Dobro - valid points. Others?
One of the things I've struggled with in this mix is getting the second part to have a bigger/dynamic impact when it comes in without making the first section too quiet.

I agree with dobro about the synth, you can still have it but maybe less of it.

In the drummed bit mabye turn the piano down a smidge and make the drums a bit punchier (very techinical words here :D)

Buuuuuuuuutt other then that i liked the feel it had

I have no problem with that synth at all. I actually like how the part lays over the top of it. When the slide guitar comes in, the synth sort of disappears a bit. Awesome! Keep with your instincts about how that works for you and keep it.

I would like to hear that synth a little more "washed out". Try a really dark, dense, long reverb with a long pre-delay on it (maybe 150ms...). Really sort of tuck that sucker back in this mix with the reverb.

I would make the vocals more dry, heavily compressed, and very upfront. So, music very reverbish, vocal very dry. Would create a great contrast.

In the later part, I think you are still missing something to add density to the arrangement. Maybe a dirty Hammond Organ part of something playing sparce held out chords. Something that gives a pedal tone effect in the sensitive hearing range.

This overall sounds very good.

Back