Looking for feedback on hard rock/metal mix

NL5

Unpossible!
I've got an old demo track that I am mixing and would like some feedback. I am in a new room, and not sure how well my mixes will translate now. I know the distorted guitars sound like crap, but I don't know what else to do with them. I am used to good sounding tube amp tracks, and these are definitely not those. If anybody has any tips to warm up solid state distortion, i am all ears.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to listen and comment.

edit - added direct link

New version -

edit - added new link

Last edited:
OK - I added a direct link. It should auto play in your browser, or right click to save as...

Here it is again -

As a long time metal musician.. I hear a lack of definition. I would like to hear the guitar tracks in question dry and then experiment with EQ. Is it me or did you change something with them at the end of the song... like the last minute of it?

I would like the snare to be bigger. I feel like the verses should be actually sung without the raspy edge then kick it in during the chorus. Also seemed like I expected the verse to start sooner? Pretty cool though nice!

I hear two things, 1) I feel the vocal track could come down a little, it's too far out front of everything else; 2) The kick could use a little more thump.

Everything else sounds good.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Made a lot of minor tweaks. Adjusted the guitars a bit Brought the snare up, and the vox down a little. Can't have the vocals re-sung - that's the whole point of doing this - it's a difficult project for me , as the singer passed away at the end of last year. Also, it's the reason for the vocals to be a little more out front than I would normally do. I have tried to find one of the guitar players to redo the guitars, but I can't get a hold of him anywhere unfortunately. This was a project from 8 years ago, that crashed after one quick run at the vocals, so I don't have a lot to work with. Planned on redoing the guitars, but as of now, that doesn't look too likely.

Here is a link to the tweaked track (also brought the buss comp down a bit, so it's not as loud as the previous version, but I think it sounds better) -

Thanks again to all those that listened.

I have a bunch of old tracks from like 15-16 years ago from an old band that have a lot of potential but all the members moved away and not much to work with...so I feel your pain.

I really dig the song. The clean guitar at the beginning brought back a lot of memories from back in the day. I think it sounds great.

I think the mix is close. I think all it may take is a good outside source with no vested interest in it to master it properly and it would be good to go.

I really like the intro and the chorus is killer. As a composition IMO it's tending to meander in the mid section. I would carve out some parts and shorten it to enhance the shock value and give it more punch and coherence. It's a good jam

im no expert on the genre bt it sounds tight and thats a compliment. I couldnt hear anything needing changed, guitars really had bit but no earbleed spikes.
amazing how my headphone vs earbuds sound so frkn different, I guess earbuds suck but the recording sounds good on them, but not near the lowend the better headphones sound. :listeningmusic:

Back