Looking for feedback on drum recording.

amra

I posted this on the recording techniques forum, because I am seeking advice on drum recording techniques Judging by the scarcity of responses there, I am thinking it might have belonged here instead.

Looking for feedback, impressions, constructive criticism...etc.

Thanks

Well.........It's hard to comment on a clip rendered at 96kps. But I'll tell you what I hear. Sounds like one mic and it sounds like that mic is too close to the tom(s). The bass drum sounds like it sounds good in the room, but it needs it's own mic. You need to cut alot of mids to get those cymbals to sound less clangy. Doesn't sound like a badly tuned kit, but it's really hard to tell with everything bunched into (what sounds like) one mic.

Sounds like a live recording. Not something that I would use in a project. Sounds a little distant.

Why exactly? That's probably all answered in RAMI's post.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am using 3 mics, but due to a lack of input channels, I am having to mix them down to one channel. I guess doing it this way, a "live" sound is the best I am going to get. I CAN address the mic being too close to the toms, and rolling the highs off the cymbals, though.

Thanks again, and any more advice is welcome.

You dont want to roll off the HIGHS...you want to get rid of the MIDS so you don't get things so clangy. LOL

Back