Looking for feedback..... 1st demo

Chibi Nappa

Hello all. I've recently joined forces with a band named Omnisoul as their personal live soundman/demo recording guy. We just put out a demo, and I'm looking for feedback. The MP3's can be found on the Omnisoul webpage here:

http://www.omnisoul.com/index_music.html

The only recording/mix that is not mine is the song titled "Happy Outside". The singer did that one on his own. Feedback on the rest would be appreciated. Most of the songs were done with a Roland VDrum set except for "Forsaken Angel". Feel free to go to town with the Forsaken Angel critisims. There were many things wrong with the inital recording, and I'm kinda' treating it as a learning experiance. :)

Last edited:
I SINCERELY TRIED...

...but the site kept re-routing me and throwing up like, 40 pop-up ads, and then I just got all jittery and scared and ran like the wind back to www.nowhereradio.com .

Seriously, I tried...couldn't access. Probably my fault, but that might explain the lack of responses to this????

Good luck,
me

Hmmmm.... Is anybody else having trouble accessing the site? If so I can put the MP3s on personal web site tomarrow.

I made it straight into the site without any pop ups.One hell of a nice mix on "You Say"........sounds close to a pro job.Are you a pro?:eek: .......nice drum sound.....sounds compressed just about how I like it.

The song itself is pretty good too.The singer has a nice voice and the harmonies are good.The groove is happening.I can dig this man......nice job all the way around.

I listend to "You say "and it was very well done. Some might complain that its a little bass heavy but IMO its fine. This does sound like a pro job.... Good work. Good singing and song also.
Myx

hey, I also enjoyed this.

The intro sounded very professional.

how did you get that acoustic guitar sound? It's exactly the sound that fits in with a piano - I would love to know what you did.

I also agree that its a little bass heavy but thats good cos it counters with the singers mostly high pitched voice and also the solo guitar.

all around i liked it.

yiordanaki

P.S. nice ending to the song - nice echo on the last note.............

Thanks guys. I'm not a pro, but I am a very enthusiastic home recorder. :) I am having trouble getting the bass right now that you mention it. It seems to be a lot of trial and error. I'm mixing on Tannoy Reveal Actives along with a Tannoy sub. Maybe I need to turn the sub up or just pay more attention when referencing. As for the accousitc guitars, we used an Ovation for "You Say". One track is the live scratch DI take (it was a keeper :)) and the other track was the same guitar overdubbed in front of a Studio Projects C1 mic. The tracks are panned a bit. We put the guitar in as dead of a room as we could find and put the mic near the base of the neck angled towards the soundhole. All of the other songs were a wooden body accoustic with just the C1 mic. Add EQ, compression, and reverb, and that's that. All electric guitars were DI using the Roland VG88 guitar modeling synth.

"You say" is very good. The vocals are a little oversmoothed but very well sung. The melody is interesting, expressive and not too derivative. The guitar sounds a little standard but theres worse out there. The solo is cool, I like it but I would bet a label would yank it. The acoustic has a very nice top end. The drums are clean and neat and in place, appropriately played.

Good work.

Nice stuff....I like Forsaken Angel....it reminded me of the very first Trapeze album. You Say is nice....needs to have a little more "sparkle" to it. I'd like to hear the whole mix EQed up some at around 6K to maybe as high as 10k. You'd need to experiment but just a little brighter sound would help....not much, just a little.

The Man Who Wants It All......same comment.....a little bit dull sounding.

Twinkle of a Life....cool bass lines.....a better sound but the vocals need that sparkle added to them.

The performances are very nice....you're gonna have a lot of fun recording these guys. Good tunes and good players.

I listened to You Say. Very nice pro sound. No critique from me. The acoustic does sound good and I ususally have a low opinion of the sound of Ovations. :cool:

Thanks again guys. Yeah, this particular Ovation surprised the heck out of me, too. It has one of those tops that has several tiny sound holes along each edge instead of the traditional single soundhole in the middle. It is the only accoustic electric I have ever come accross that has pickups that are pleasent to my ears.

I agree on the missing "sparkle". The open high hat gets mighty harsh if I just shelf the eq up in that range, but maybe I can use a parametric EQ to notch out the offending high hat frequency.

listening to Back to the Heavens right now, wow~it sounds pretty damn good! I cannot tell the difference between a homerecording artist and a pro as easy now....dang, the performance/tracking/mixing are very good!!! Good job

AL

Back