"Look" -- Mixmkr and Me collab at New Years -- 3 years ago

K-dub

Happy New Years all!

We twa hae run about the braes
And pu'd the gowans fine;
But we've wander'd mony a weary foot
Sin auld lang syne.

Here's to a prosperous 2016 to all!

Drums seem to be pretty high, levels on a lot of parts seem inconsistent actually. Very quiet in the beginning with a long crescendo that doesn't work so well for me. Awesome song, I hear some prog bits with an industrial beat, really neat combination of different influences. Nice vocals, lots of great elements imho.

Lots of interesting instruments combinations. There wasn't enough happening in the 1:45 intro to keep me entertained on the first listen, but the second I got into it more.

There a touch of King Crimson about it. The clarinet/sax? at 2:45 sounded poor/exposed/weak in contrast to the other excellent sounds.

The main vocal is ok, and the effects on it really help, but it sounds a little under-powered/warbley on occasions.

The overall mix and song sounds excellent to me. Really nice sense of depth. How have you achieve that?

Drums seem to be pretty high, levels on a lot of parts seem inconsistent actually. Very quiet in the beginning with a long crescendo that doesn't work so well for me. Awesome song, I hear some prog bits with an industrial beat, really neat combination of different influences. Nice vocals, lots of great elements imho.

That's kind of an historical artifact. I first did very traditional drums. Chris (Mixmkr) said ... "Fuck that. You need to go balls out with the rhythm section. It's a weird song, make the drums weird." So he did. The drums are his shit that he sent me ... but the rhythm drives this piece. The nuances he threw into it just blew me away.

I was floored.

Lots of interesting instruments combinations. There wasn't enough happening in the 1:45 intro to keep me entertained on the first listen, but the second I got into it more.

There a touch of King Crimson about it. The clarinet/sax? at 2:45 sounded poor/exposed/weak in contrast to the other excellent sounds.

The main vocal is ok, and the effects on it really help, but it sounds a little under-powered/warbley on occasions.

The overall mix and song sounds excellent to me. Really nice sense of depth. How have you achieve that?

This is not a first listen impress. Chris and I both would get that. It's too odd and complex a piece for initial pass. Too much went into it in random sequence.

I'm the vocalist. I can at times warble, and other times belt ... but that's just me. The effects were mostly Chris' contribution w/ my original send in eventual direction.

The sense of depth comes from the intro ... keeping things subtle until they explode.

I credit both Chris and I for that ... because we really concentrated on the build ... and yes, we understood it was going to take a few listens for folks to settle into it.

It was an odd genre for us two rockers to explore.

Glad you appreciated the work, Pete.

The riff is early Crimsonish.
There are parts that are late period Crimson too - the Belew type guitar noises.
The sax is a step down in tension in the wrong place for me.
Interesting stuff. Def well worth repeated listens.

The riff is early Crimsonish.
There are parts that are late period Crimson too - the Belew type guitar noises.
The sax is a step down in tension in the wrong place for me.
Interesting stuff. Def well worth repeated listens.

Thanks Ray!

Chris is heavy into that 80's style guitar sound.

The sax is meant as an abrupt change. Yes. It's weird. :D

Back