"Long Journey"

GONZO-X

"Long Journey"

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/long-journey

long journey, a song inspired by a friends' trip across the ocean, to a new land, new people, new experience

blends acoustic and electric guitars, open D tunings, acoustic and electric slide guitar, a bunch of harmonies, live drums, kinda zeppelinish, njoy, feel free to comment

i enjoyed this several times. it turns out that you have to listen to this more than once. it helps to put a little time in between so that the residual sound that echoes in your auditory cortex can be corrected upon subsequent listenings. there is too much to be absorbed on one casual hearing or even one serious listen.
i think the most amazing thing is the drum sound. i'd be fired as the mixer on this cause it'd be drums with the rest as a transistor radio signal in the distance. really, these drums are great and i think if you're going to mention the almighty Z then you need to move these drums a little bit more up front.
the guitars remind me of being a teenager for some reason. can't explain it but i get this feeling on most all your tunes.
harmonies are tight albeit a bit cliche' or maybe arrow-smith-esque. still they are perfect for the frame.
i guess my one nit is the lyric could be more like epic.

Reactions: TMS
I enjoyed to listen to your tune.
Was listening on the headphones here, think it was too much going on on each side (panning), just my taste ;)
Anyway, good song!

To much guitar on the left side. Sounds unbalanced to me. I really like the vocals, but again, off balance like stated by TMS.

The tune is much cool! Just hard to listen to, with the separation going on IMO. Not as cool as the next song that plays on your SC page. :)

"Long Journey"

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/long-journey

long journey, a song inspired by a friends' trip across the ocean, to a new land, new people, new experience

blends acoustic and electric guitars, open D tunings, acoustic and electric slide guitar, a bunch of harmonies, live drums, kinda zeppelinish, njoy, feel free to comment

Almost reminded me of Beck more than Zepp. Which just goes to show what Beck was up to. Yeah, this one's in the pocket. The mix feels skewed slightly left though. Why's that? Just about ready for the ME, no?

manslick

thanks for commenting.....:thumbs up:
glad you liked it, yes, there's a lot going on, but it's subtle enough to not catch on one listen, that's true...

the drums are really good, aren't they?
i wished i could afford to get this guy to play on ALL my stuff!

the reason i'm posting this one, is because, this is a song off my first album, which was on planet records, released in 2006.
i've been thinking of RE-mixing it, and releasing it on CDBaby as a 'digital-only' release, and if i do, i'll be able to do a lot more with the drums now, than i could when i mixed this back in 2006, on a roland VS-1880.
a good machine, but not nearly as powerful as my DAW now.

i spent some time messing with the lyric back then...
i tried some more 'deep' meaning lyrics, and i don't know..... just the way i sung it, maybe, it just didn't come across, it was to 'pat'.

LOL

so i simplified the lyric, to get a 'broad stroke' picture going, and nothing too deep, so anybody can make what they want about it.

of course, i COULD sing about misty mountains, and goblins and fairies, or how god has really let me down this time, or why the sky is blue, but i just quite can't get there.
heheh

thanks again!

hey i'd be up to hear a remix.

i guess i expected more of a story lyric, you know like personal experience and such. but in retrospect i think the lines:

God help me please
let me have what i need
don't want no more than that
your advice is all we need..

is all it takes. (hope i got that right)

TMS

panning too muchm eh?

i kinda liike it like that

it always makes me think of the first time i heard van halen's 1st album, in my buddy's truck, with a cheap-@ss 8 track player that the left side was out on.....

i kept thinkin this sounds terrible.

LOL

no guitar, except a bunch of reverb.....

i'll be re-mixing this in the future, i'll be sure to balance that sucker out!
thanks for commenting

jimmys69
actually, that guitar on the left is dominant for a reason.. it counterbalances other mix items....
but i've toyed with the idea of putting ALL the electric on one side, and all teh Acoustic on the other...
more experimenting is in order.....
the next tune, you mean the 'bats brew' tune?
yep, these two are off the same album.....

dobro
thanks for checking it out and commenting

j beck was my 1st main influence, so there's gotta be some of that dna in there somewhere......

i guess the mix needed a dominant part and it ended up on the left?
sometimes, those choices are by accident, and sometimes it just sounds better that way......
of course, that's subjective!
heheh

this has already been mastered by Falcon Eddy studios in new hampshire

hey i'd be up to hear a remix.

i guess i expected more of a story lyric, you know like personal experience and such. but in retrospect i think the lines:

is all it takes. (hope i got that right)

manslick,
the full lyric:

Long Journey

Going on a long journey, never been before
Got a dry anticipation, for a distant shore
Ah yeah, take me there.
Gonna see the sunrise, in a different way
No one said it'd be easy, but it's a brand new day.
Going on a long journey, oh yeah
Long journey, take me there

Long journey, such a long journey

God help me, help me please
Let me have what I need
Won't take no more than that,
Your advice, I will heed.

long journey
I've never been before
Got a dry anticipation
For a distant shore, for a distant shore….
Distant shore…..
Gonna see the sunrise, in a different way
No one said it'd be easy,
But it's a brand new day, brand new day.
Oh yeah, Take me there.

©2005 Robert F. Gilliland

Back