"long journey"

Mixed feelings

Dude,

I love this and I hate it at the same time.

Love the tune, love the performance, love the recording.

But it makes me hate my own crappy tunes, mediocre musical talent and sub par recording ability.

Please tell me you did this in a quality studio and not in your game room, because....if you did this at home with pro-sumer gear I'm giving up.

Really like the tune.

Cheers!

Bart

DUde, I'm iking everything. Maybe bring up the kick and making it punchier.

Production wise, I think the electric guits should be heavy as hell, kinda like Zakk Wylde heavy. That would really satisfy my ear buds.:p

Bartman-
everything but the drums, recorded in the comfort of my own bedroom studio.

LOL
:D

(the drum tracks were done in a proper studio)

but granted, i've got hardwood floors, hard ceiling, sound treaments where i want them....
the room 'sometimes' sounds as good as pro studios i've been in.
problem is, it's on an outer wall facing a driveway shared by 3 families in 3 different houses, so a lot of tracks get tossed because of 'neighbor noise'!

glad you liked it! and hated it!

myhatbroke
glad you liked it!
yeah, it'd be easy to 'heavy-a-fy' this one, but it would be out of place with the rest of the album if i did.
i had a theme going, with the sound of the 'trouble' cd, so it needed a more 'classic rock' treatment to fit in.
i did play around with some heavier versions of it tho.......

thanks for listening!

i hear you Bartman....
:)

the drums, were recorded with a roland vs2480.

so, saying it's a 'proper studio' was really incorrect.
but, the room was a controlled environment, and i think that's half the battle.

but the mics were mid level mics, the preamps were the built in roland preamps, so not a true studio recording at all.

perhaps it was just the precise drumming style that brent has....
he's really good.

thanks again!

ok, here goes:

1. love the slide guitar. love the slide guitar. love the slide guitar
2. great job on the guitars. I disagree with the heavy-fying comments, i like them where they're at here...just personal preference and all. EQ is good on the guitars
3. drummer is spot on pocket. I want more snare though...
4. i want more bass.
5. i want more more BGVs...help support on the "I'm going on a long journey" parts.
6. mix is spot on.

great tune man, great mix!

cholo

metalhead28
thanks man..... for listening, and commenting
glad you liked it.

elcholo -
i was hoping someone would dig the slide....
it's not something i do a lot of....
but i really dig it.
bass is so hard to mix in this....
either it's too much and boomy, or it's too similar to the guitar riff, and blends right in and people don't notice it.!
but thanks for checking it all the same!

Sounds really good! Maybe to get that real southern grit, try overdriving the bass just a bit, get it to really GROWL you know what I mean? Otherwise, everything else is pretty much spot-on. My own personal preference, since it's got that southern sound, would be to make some room and give it a slightly bigger/beefier snare sound, but like I said that's TOTALLY personal preference.

Nice work man! Puts my stuff to shame :p

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=249161

steve.h

glad you liked it!
bass growl, i hear what you're talking about...
i've been focusing on cleaner, but fatter bass sounds..
but that old school ampeg SVT kinda vibe would totally work as well......

the southern sound, wasn't intentional...... it just kind of happened.

and the drummer -- i gotta give props to him, because i didn't give him any direction on this, but he knew what i wanted inherently....

choice of snare sounds, well, it's a personal thing with drummers, i know, and when you're not in a 'band' context per se, you sort of just go with your favorite sound (which is what he did) and i know he does lots of jazz gigs, so he's got a higher pitched snare that he's probalby more used to...
i bet i could have said "use a big field snare, and tune it down", and he would have..... but i let him run with it.

thanks for listening!

((( ok, edit: it's a deep southern-fried groove with a story about a friend that went to africa for a 2-year stent in the peace corps.... what i wrote about was the idea of going there.... the feeling of the unknown, the tension of getting ready for it, the knowledge that it's not going to be easy... but with a few prayers....)))

Sounds cool. There's only one thing I'd say. the vocal styling seems out of place against the music. Nothing wrong with the vocals, they sound great! I'd just like to see a more bluesy approach taken with them. Not so many high harmonies and such. There a bit to shiny and heavenly.
All of that's just a matter of taste though;) So it don't count for much.

Back to what this forum is for. The recording sounds really good. I've got no nits.

F.S.

I couldn't help but check out all three tunes available...WOW !!!

I'm with Bartman on the whole love/hate thing :D

Very nice sounding, love those Acoustic guitars !

Like everyone else said, very nice. Sounds like it was fun to play also! Just needs more bass punch. I;m going to listen to your other stuff now...

Freudian Slip
thanks for listening F.S.
you must be an old roland user (your Base Are Belong 2 Us)
LOL
:D

well, as for the vocal styling, it was EXACTLY what i wanted!
LOL

i like the idea of blending styles.... otherwise, a blues vocal on a bluesy approach, just makes for another bluesy song....
i'm looking for arrangements and vocal versus music stylings that are a bit off the path....
and NO ONE has ever referred to my vox as shiny and heavenly....... LOL
so thanks (sorta) for that! :D
and thanks for the review....

david j sims
glad you liked it!

Nicole_Rose
when does it air on the radio?
hehe
when my ship comes in..........
;)
actually, you can hear it on the internet radio, on a few stations here and there... but it's a lot easier to just steal it and load it in the ipod and listen to it whenever....

rocknrollover-
thanks for checking all of them!
(i do sell a couple of cd's........)
i love the sound of acoustics blended with electrics.....
glad you like em!

killavet-
bass punch, man, that is just the Hardest thing to get right!
i work on that, more than any other element....
but ultimately, i think i need to make a few changes in my bass guitar (pickups mainly) and i need to go back to micing the bass, as well as using the direct line (sansamp bass di) together to get that punch.
plus, i'm still learning how to use the compressor for the most 'punch', and i don't have it dialed in yet.

i never wanted to be an engineer!!
LOL

I love your voice dude. Kind of sounds like Blind Melon's singer's voice, but more mature. Like someone mentioned earlier about the "heavenly" vocals, I dont mind. It makes the song sound like it's yours.

I LOVE this song. Very well composed in terms of chords/progression.

A couple critisizms though:
- Could use a little bit more low end to me. I have a very thumping system and I'm not hearing much low end. It may be my speakers.
- Maybe a little more distortion on the rhythm or shimmer in the cymbals. It sounds a little too "studio" at some points, like with too much closed hi-hat. Or maybe a little reverb? This sounds like a blues song, but without the dirty. These riffs sound like they should be dirtied up a little.
- Any way to bring up the snare and put some reverb on it? Just try it out if you've got time, I think you'll be pleased.

Maybe during the chorus "Goin on a long journey, oh yeah, take me there", instead of hitting the open high hat on quarters you could hit a crash/ride I think that'd make it sound louder and put a little more emphasis in it. I dont know if it'd fit in, but just what I think.

But I don't know much. I mean, recording quality it sounds AMAZING, perfect spacing, panning, clarity, all of that. You've got that down too a pat. In terms of songwriting, those are probably just a couple personal prefference things i'd like to hear. Like someone said about the heavier guitar, I agree.

Anyways, the biggest thing I can suggest is to add some reverb in just the right places. Deffinately a little more on the lead Vox. Even if it doesnt fit in with your CD, I'd love to hear a dirtier version just for myself!!

Still though, 2 thumbs up dude. Very nice.

Back