Lo-Fi Awesomeness

Cool tune and sound. It's got vibe. I like the drum sound alot. What's that spacey thing you got going on with the guitar or is that a synth? Any details on the gear and conditions you were working with?

Notch Filter Engaged as I wait for the think to buffer up on my WMP.
Nice intro.
Where's the bass? Did you do one.
I'm using a stereo amp & reasonable speakers attached to my soundcard biut can't really determine a BASS GUITAR.
There's a hole in the sound that only a good bass line could fill.
I like the guitar sounds - no NWOBHM pedal overkill so you get extra ponits for that.
Sounds good - the key's are nice & 70's.
The rhythm plods a bit but that's not a bad thing.
Cheers
rayC

The bass is a tad low, I guess.

The spacey thing is my Roland JX 3P synth. I've been running it through my Marshall JCM 800 lately... I love it!

I recorded everything in my untreated basement. Mics used include SP B1, MXL 991, SM57 and Beta 58. All through my Delta 1010 soundcard.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!
Mike

This sounds great man, good job. I agree about the bass though; I couldn't ever really make it out. Then again, if it's just duping what the guitars are doing, maybe that's why.

The guitars, drums, and synths all sound really good.

I couldn't understand most of the lyrics though. I noticed it said "comedy" for the song's description on your nowhere radio site. If it is a comedy song, then I think the lyrics need to be understood.

Yeah I agree with everyone else .. the bass is kinda low ... but everything else is sounding great ..

stick a multiband on the bass frequencies ...from about 50 - 90 Hz ...and fire the gain up a bit ... hope that helps a bit :)

mcolling said:
The bass is a tad low, I guess.

The spacey thing is my Roland JX 3P synth. I've been running it through my Marshall JCM 800 lately... I love it!

I recorded everything in my untreated basement. Mics used include SP B1, MXL 991, SM57 and Beta 58. All through my Delta 1010 soundcard.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!
Mike

Hey that synth does sound cool. I can hear the bass fine but it does'nt really have any bottom to it.

I enjoyed your tune. Really!
NICE! Nothing else to add.
I do miss the bass too but don't I always on my PC speakers at work.
Give us some more!

Very cohesive sound, pressed for a gripe other than perhaps the cymbals are a tad strident - could be a little EQ tweak, or perhaps some OH compression to tame the peaks and beef up the drums to boot.

Or, I could be talking out of my arse and everything's fine.

To be honest, I don't mind the bass as it is. It's low on overtones, making it not so distinct in the mix, but I can still clearly make it out. I'm not amazed at the snare, but overall, that's a very good sound for basement recorded drums :)

The guitars kick as. Good stuff mate :)

I basically fixed the bass. When I DIed it I boosted to much low mids around 120 hz and not enough lows around 80 hz, so I rectified that.

The drums are a pretty simple set up-- two shite condensers in XY about 7 feet in front of the kit at head level, with a 57 on snare and a beta 58 on kick. I mixed it down to one stereo channel on a behri mixer, so I had very little control of the close mics other than a three-band EQ. The reason it is passable is because my brother is a great drummer.

I love that free anechoic room emulator plug-- it actually kind of works getting rid of the "basement" room sound!

First of all, GREAT TUNE and GREAT PRODUCTION....Really, it sounds absolutely fantastic. Now the Devil's Advocate....bass still needs to be higher in the mix, pull back your ultra high frequencies, and increase the "presence" in your mix. Awesome job, man.

Everything is G OOOOO D
Except the bass. There might be a problem with the room you're mixing in.
The bass, & I'm using a stereo amp with OK speakers, doesn't really exist.
The song is really good, the performances too just that one quibble.
Cheers
rayC

Back