Live recording with some overdubbs.

CMolena

Hey guys.

This is a recording from my band's last rehearsal. We wanted to make a demo to send our friends our songs. Turn out we liked the quality of the final mix.

The drums are "peculiar" sounding, as I may understand some of the members of the forum would consider it too live but we like that aesthetic.

The setup was:

Drums: Kick (SM57) and 2 OH's (MXL V67);
Bass: DI and Shure SM57 for amp sound and low end;
Guitars: Shure SM57;
Vox: Shure SM57.

Here is the link: https://soundcloud.com/caio-molena/ao-som-do-nada-demo

Thanks in advance, guys.

I think the drums work, but I still think they could be just a BIT brighter without losing the live feel you're going for. Think early recordings from The Strokes. But overall, it's a cool, live sounding recording, I think. I'm no pro.

Totally honest, I don't like the drums. There's an early reflection that kind of saps the energy from them for me. Cool song though and the rest of it sounds good to me.

It's a fun track (listened several times) and well-recorded.

Love the tone on the lead guitar. Recorded perfectly!

The only problem I have is the spacing. Are the guitars both panned hard l/r? I think it's making the drum sound too up front (for my taste. I prefer more distant drums).

I think it's a nice recording and there's definitely a feeling of "being there in the room" through my headphones, especially with odd bits of the percussion sticking out in the stereo image! The drums sounded bright enough but lacked some of the upper frequencies (10 kHz upwards) for a little more sparkle. I liked it, although that fuzz guitar on the reprise is everything I don't like in a guitar tone, lol :D

I think it is a cool song. Good energy, good performances, and good sounds. I think the drums sound ok. The bass drum needs a little work though. It sounds like maybe the head is a little too loose. Its not tight and focused sounding. I think the lead guitar has too much fuzz or distortion on it and is kind of thin sounding. Its hard to get meat in a guitar tone without it being muddy. Backing off the distortion helps.

Back