A little punk for you

Fade

Hey everyone. It has been a long while since I recorded anything and although I have been a member here for quite a while, I have never posted a track before. Anyway, I figured it was about time I did. My main band plays metal, but I started out playing in punk bands back in high school and I have been thinking about getting another punk band going. But enough about me, check out the track and let me know what you think.

Clicky

Apparently my Soundclick is all good now so this post isn't needed after all. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I like it!

But i'm a sucker for punk.

It suits my style (as i can't actually play anything)

i want to join a punk band and just smash my bass.

hmmmmmm i'm going to do that.

we need a gun drummer... any one want to form a Australian Punk Band there'll be trials and tribulation but in the end it's all about the music.

I'll plan it so we can climb the Opera house and wRite "FUCK religion"

that'll get us in the news and then we'll release the EP (we'll record it in one room with two mics) and do some Radio interviews?

what do you think?

one of us has to die but......hmmm i choose someone else.

the mix is just how it should be your band is tight. i really liked it i'm not pissing on you.

Last edited:
I'll plan it so we can climb the Opera house and wRite "FUCK religion"

that'll get us in the news and then we'll release the EP (we'll record it in one room with two mics) and do some Radio interviews?

what do you think?

it woulda worked 30 years ago...

Nowdays you need to get a faggy emo haircut, paint your nails black and sing songs about how you are sad and your gay boyfriend isn't calling back.

ps.Can't listen now, will later and comment.

Sad but true.

as the grip of the msm closes around us.... actually they would probably digitally edit it so it said ..... "Dam Pinapples" then make a funny news story out of it... you know like the animal story at the end of the news about the house that burnt down and the other big news of the day....TOm to get divorce! oh and the murder. and the story about the Traffic.

Meanwhile we happliy murder children by the thousands in the Mid east.:)

......and use these icons to express ourselves about it.:mad:

i can't comment on the make up

nails etc becsue i'n not gay (i'm happy but) but i wouldn't rule it out (the black nails) i just like black so much.

i'm thinking of tattoing my whole head black like fake hair you know so when i go bald when i'm old i can still have fake black hair.

should i put side burns in?
and if yes should i like curl them?

naa actually i wouldn't do the nails black maybe a bit of eyeliner but just for the Egyptian god.

If ya gonna tatoo sideburns get these:
kev3.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

PS. sorry for hijacking the thread, promise to comment on music later.

colour me impressed.

no this is right with the music:

post up some more punk fade i like it.

is that a sock?

i'll tell you the truth i never though of a sock on the side of my face but now i am.... wait up...... now i'm not.

but it's cool for that guy.!!

Not a bad song. Ever hear of The Freeze or Dag Nasty? This sounds like them. Guitars sound really muddy and fuzzy. Are they direct? Drums sound very buried. Really, I'm not trying to be an ass, but the mix is a mess. The vox and drums are unclear and buried while the guitar fuzz overpowers everything. Go back to the drawing board and take another stab at it. Re-track if you have to. It seems to be a decent song, so lets hear it! :)

What are you mix through monitor wise? The drums are MIA as is the bass. Other than that not too shabby.

It sounds like shit, in traditional punk fashion. I dig the song though. If you're gonna go direct with guitars, I'd suggest turning cab modeling off on the the POD (or whatever you're using) and using cab impulses. If you can find my most recent thread in the mixing forum, titled "poppy punk", you can hear what impulses sound like. That particular mix is a little dull, but that's due to the mixing, not the impulse. Your drum recording technique needs to be reconsidered. There's a bunch of articles on it around, just google it and you'll learn a lot. Also, a search in the recording techniques forum might be a good idea too. Don't be put off, we're all here to learn from each other. I know I've come miles since I joined.

dig the song...not a fan of punk personally, but this song really moves, rocks, etc...

cons.
1. drums are missing. need more snare/kick
2. i'd like the vocals to sit more on top...but that's just me.

all in all, great song. good work!

cholo

Im listening through HiFi speakers to start with. The guitars sound very DI'd as if straight out of effects into the desk with no cabinet emulation. Is this right? Without knowing what you're using to record them, its a little difficult to advise a course of action.

The drum loops you're using are a little repetative. You could maybe look at using that one "Cymbal (note spelling*)" a little less and give yourself some variation on the HiHat hits, which sound a little like a machine gun, maybe accenting every other hit would give you a <i>little</i> more feel. Your Kick has dissappeared altogether, but the whole kit could do with being brought forward considerably. The fills are cool tho :)

Vocals are very dry and lack definition. Could do with some top end eq and A bit of stereo reverb could add a bit of space too.

Hope this helps :)

*Educational aside.

Im listening through HiFi speakers to start with. The guitars sound very DI'd as if straight out of effects into the desk with no cabinet emulation. Is this right? Without knowing what you're using to record them, its a little difficult to advise a course of action.

The drum loops you're using are a little repetative. You could maybe look at using that one "Cymbal (note spelling*)" a little less and give yourself some variation on the HiHat hits, which sound a little like a machine gun, maybe accenting every other hit would give you a <i>little</i> more feel. Your Kick has dissappeared altogether, but the whole kit could do with being brought forward considerably. The fills are cool tho :)

Vocals are very dry and lack definition. Could do with some top end eq and A bit of stereo reverb could add a bit of space too.

Hope this helps :)

*Educational aside.

You (and some of the others) hit a number of things right on the head. The guitars are DI'ed, but if you knew the condition of the only amp I had available you would be begging me to DI them. A new amp is #1 on my "to buy" list. :)

I'm totally with you on the repetitive nature of the drums, especially the cymbals. In addition to getting rid of the crash crash crash in some places, there are a couple of spots where it really seems like they need hits added to emphasize things. I also hear you on the kick. I have a very limited setup and have the choice between my laptops speakers of ipod headphones to monitor and mix. The kick was nowhere on the speakers, but it come out better on the earbuds. I also think the toms need to come up.

As for the vocals, I was pretty tired when I finished the song and put it up and I totally forgot to do anying to them. They are totally dry - no EQ, no reverb, no nothing - so it's no surprise that they are lacking. I'll give your suggestions a go.

Oh, and the guitars are DI'ed out of a Boss GT-6. I was running the pedal's 8x12 cabinet emulator.

Song is pretty cool, as mentioned before, drums need humanizing, guitar tone is pretty muddy, but kinda no wonder if you are mixing on ipod earphones.

The song itself is pretty good so don't abandon it.

ps. Drum fills sound good. What are you using for the drums?

You (and some of the others) hit a number of things right on the head. The guitars are DI'ed, but if you knew the condition of the only amp I had available you would be begging me to DI them. A new amp is #1 on my "to buy" list. :)

I'm totally with you on the repetitive nature of the drums, especially the cymbals. In addition to getting rid of the crash crash crash in some places, there are a couple of spots where it really seems like they need hits added to emphasize things. I also hear you on the kick. I have a very limited setup and have the choice between my laptops speakers of ipod headphones to monitor and mix. The kick was nowhere on the speakers, but it come out better on the earbuds. I also think the toms need to come up.

As for the vocals, I was pretty tired when I finished the song and put it up and I totally forgot to do anying to them. They are totally dry - no EQ, no reverb, no nothing - so it's no surprise that they are lacking. I'll give your suggestions a go.

Man, you gotta monitor with something better than earbuds. What sounds good to you through earbuds or laptop speakers will sound like ass everywhere else on the planet. While it's not the best way to do it, you can make some pretty good mixes with quality headphones. Or better yet, save up for some monitors.

ps. Drum fills sound good. What are you using for the drums?

Drums are Fruity Loops.

Man, you gotta monitor with something better than earbuds. What sounds good to you through earbuds or laptop speakers will sound like ass everywhere else on the planet. While it's not the best way to do it, you can make some pretty good mixes with quality headphones. Or better yet, save up for some monitors.

Ha, I'd use better if I had it, but I'm a starving grad student for now and even a proper set of headphones are out of the budget. Hell, new strings are a luxury at the moment. Besides, my cousin (who is also the drummer in my real band - check out Dead Grey on MySpace - the track "Of Necessity" was recorded at his studio) has a proper setup with more gear than I could hope to afford any time soon so if I ever want to record anything properly I just head over to his place. I am hoping to do this song sometime soon. I'll post the proper version if I get it done.

Fade

I mean listen to all this if you want but honestly (sober)

do you like the song?

everything is fine with this song....

i'd bring those vocals in just a little sooner cut maybe the last section of the intro out.

i'd cut some base(that's right B.A.S.E) at the really low end and compress the VOX a little just to bring them out.(by the way you have nailed the VOX sound)

but then a good mastering engineer will do that anyhow.

i really love that straight guitar sound.
and i really like the drums if they are MIA i hope they hook up with some Koreans and have a vodka on me!

You monitor on Ipod Ear buds? it's obviously working.

Hey how’s this>? market it to Itunes as "whole album mixed with IPOD ear buds" they might put it on the front of their page.

keep it up.

don't dis your amp, it's a frequency coming out of a speaker your going to distort it to hell anyhow close mic it (have you tried) I’ve use a 7watt Squire for some of my recordings. (Sounds big as hell)

if your amp is malfunctioning spend 20pound ($50dollars?) and buy one. Great for recording.

but i like the sound you have now.

Back