A Little Mixing Feedback Please

BAN5150

Just wanted to you get your guys' take on this song I've been working on. I did it at fist as just a demo for my band members to get an idea, but I actually want to try to get a good mix out of it. So let me know what you think. No vocals, and I'm not the world's great bass player either. Just a basic hard rock tune, no real other way I know to describe it.

Thanks!

Not bad. The mix sounds pretty good. The cymbals are a little washed out (may just be the mp3). The clean guitar part seems to have some intonation issues, or you were overusing a "detune" effect. Was that some finger-tapping I heard in there? :eek: In need of a vocalist. Keep it up!

Right at :52 there's a weird skip in the audio. Is that an error with my download?

The mix is really dull and lifeless in an overall way. the riffs are cool I guess but there's nothing special about the song...it meanders about in no hurry to make a point.

Interesting feedback, yes the clean guitar is detuned, I did have a fair amount of flange going. Probably why you sense a real phase shift I guess, because my guitars don't have intonation problems. All professionally set up. I'm sure I finger tapped in there once or twice, is that taboo or something now?

Like I said, it was a demo for my band guys, it wasn't a completed song at the time. It has vocals now anyway. I don't hear a skip at :52, might be your download.

Not sure how you think it meanders, two verses, two choruses, solo, outro chorus. Couldn't be more formulatic. In any event, it has since been arranged. It was never intended to be an instrumental, that's why it was a demo.

Bass, I need BASS!

Hey dude,
kewl I could be rockin this tune to work except for a couple of little things. One, I'd Really like to hear a Fat Tight Bass in there. It's way to quiet. Secondly, the delayed guitar, might be turned down just a little but it sounds awesome when it kicks in. Third, is there a timeing problem? I felt like when the delayed guitar kicked in, they were out of sync with the drum somehow. Nice snap to the snare drum though, I liked that alot. Keep it up man, Like Les Brown once said, "You can always better your best, you haven't done your best work yet".. I'd like to hear more of your work to compare it. Do you guys got a site up yet? maybe some short demo on there would be nice.

I usually listen to music at 31 on my technics receiver I have hooked up to my comp. High or low, I struggled to hear the Bass.

George

Yeah the bass is too low, when I raised it, it tended to "boom" too much so I just left it alone. I think I'll have to re-EQ it. I agree on the clean guitar, it is too loud. I can sort of hear your timing issue, my playing may have gotten off for a tick here or there on the clean. I basically did the whole thing in one take on every part, so I'm sure it suffers in a few parts. Whatever you'd be comparing it too wouldn't really be accurate, since that song was just me, and not the band. Nah no site. Oh yeah we have a professionally recorded demo we probably did 5 years ago, I haven't ripped them to MP3, if I have a chance I will.

Second Listen

Alot of issues we wrote about earleir still evident. I'd like to hear your cymbals panned a little wider, maybe that would help bring them out of the mix a little more. Everything was sorta centered. Panning can help to separate alot of the sounds, even if it's just a little left and a little right on guitars, vocals, cymbals,etc.

I'd also suggest recording to a click track next time. Do you mind telling us which track you began with and then go down the line? I'd be interested to know.

Any chance you can compress the Bass line any? Maybe borrow or rent a compressor just for the bass? It might help to bring it out a little more with a little more "punch", cause I think this is a "Rockin" tune. I could listen to this goin to work, or even getting off work..lol. Keep at it, you can always better your best.

Yeah I haven't gotten around to re-mixing it yet, it's still the same file. I thought I did pan the cymbals pretty wide, but I'll look at them too. The click track is really the drums, since they were done with fruity loops, they're in perfect time. If there are timing issues other than maybe a tad in one of the clean sections, then I'm not hearing it. I did compress the bass, probably not enough however.

BAN5150 said:
Interesting feedback, yes the clean guitar is detuned, I did have a fair amount of flange going. Probably why you sense a real phase shift I guess, because my guitars don't have intonation problems. All professionally set up. I'm sure I finger tapped in there once or twice, is that taboo or something now?

Not taboo, just uncommon. :)

First demo. Is it good enough to get gigs? Let me know what you think. We recorded a rehearsal live. I went from the Mackie board directly to a Harmon Kardon cd recorder. I then mixed it with Cakewalk Music Creator Pro.

Well I re-mixed parts of it, raised the bass, re-panned some of the drums. So see if you hear any difference.

Back