A little Miles Davis.

Nik D

Another brick in the wall
A jazz/blues band I recorded a while ago, and this is my favorite song they did. The performance isn't the absoloute best, but what do you guys think. Also I'm not totally happy with the trumpet tone, due to space I had to put the mic closer than I would have liked. I did this at the guitarist's place in a small 10x12 room if even that. I really liked how the room sounded, so I decided to do it there. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1627&alid=-1

Nice, Something to think about

I like the tune with the mute in the horn. I think the entire tune should be played this way. Watch your breath phrasing. A couple of times the breath point was disturbing to me.

The guitar, bass and drums work for me, although the bass could have more resonance(perhaps its the room).

I really enjoyed this, keep up the good work.

Pretty boomy on my system.....a little too 'round' of a bass sound, could use some definition.
The performance is ok, plus they get points simply for being willing to do Miles Davis........
A nice listen. :)

I second Lt. Bob's comments, except this one:

"...plus they get points simply for being willing to do Miles Davis."

Sorry, but I don't feel that a muted trumpet = Miles Davis. That's about all that's common about this tune and anything of Miles I've ever heard from any period.

These guys are also not very good at this kind of stuff. When the chords change they either play some really simple figure they worked out or they sound like they are lost. Sounds like they can play blues but they are a bit out of their element here.

I feel the trumpet is too close too... I'm listening on headphones (Good ones at that though) and I feel like he's blowing in my ear.

Guitar could've been louder, and the snare could've used a little more space too.

I think the bass sounds too electric. But that's the bands sound and not your decision...

Anyway, I don't like the trumpet tone either, but a big part of it is because I don't like any trumpet tone really, and because I don't feel he has a good tone... He's got trouble controlling it too.

Cool, thanks for the replies. I really need to get some real monitors other than my Boston desktop computer speakers, but that's later on the money plan. Also this isn't a miles tune, it's just called that, not sure if it's because it's miles influenced, or because their code word for pot is Miles Davis, so maybe it's still miles influenced....

not bad. Some hard stuff to play together, unless you been dimlighting for a generous amount of time as a combo. bass was recorded ok but the tone and spatial element makes it sound like your sitting a foot in front of it, needs to move back a lil and soften the top end to give it some more woody sound and some thooomp. The trumpet was also to close up in the spatial. I`m in a 7x 12 room also, so I understand the aggrevations. I'd try to make it sound like they are about 20 ft away in a cluster about 10 ft wide. I`d like to hear more snare but softer brush sound. I enjoy this feel of music.

Back