A Little Live Music

Well, Wil... well done. I love samba. do you do any Jobim?

My jazz instructor in HS bitched me out in HS because I couldn't samba.... bossa or anything like that for that matter. He got fired for sexual harrasment of female students, so to hell with him... anywho...

I love Latin also, and do Jobim, and Bonfa with my other bands. At this particular gig, it wasn't me playing bass (how I wish it was!) - I did this for a friend playing bass on the recording. It seems that the trick with Latin music is to either be native, or steeped in the form from a very early age.

Thanks again!

- Wil

Hey man what part of NH? I'm from Portland....

Oh nice....

ya dude send me a private message where you're going to be playing again. I'll try and come see ya, This is good hanging-out-with-the-'ol-lady-drinking-cocktails-and-pretending-to-be-rich music. :D

Wow JR...I just caught your post. You could start a whole thread in the Cave about that story....

It's amazing to me that so many people could carry on a conversation while a group is jamming their ass off. What did you record that with? It sounds great.

Track Rat said:
It's amazing to me that so many people could carry on a conversation while a group is jamming their ass off. What did you record that with? It sounds great.

Thanks - yes, it's incredible just how some folks just don't get it! Your comment reminds me of another gig at the same location which I stumbled across quite by accident a couple of months ago. The band was Herb Pomeroy's Quartet (Herb Pomeroy - trumpet; Ryan Parker - piano; John Repucci - bass; Les Harris Jr. - drums). I'd heard of these guys, and had heard Les at other gigs, but had never heard the four of them live with each other, so I was totally blown-away for about four hours. That would have been one helluva recording! They were just jamming together, with not one single sheet of music between the four of them, yet despite the loud party at one of the front tables, containing the woman with a laugh like a braying donkey, the music and the buzz was still phenomenal.

Anyway, for the recording posted here, I used two PZM-30Ds about six-feet up, and eight-feet apart on the wall opposite the band. The PZMs went to a couple of Presonus MP20s and from there to a couple of ACP-22s set up as limiters, and then directly onto a Tascam CDRW4U. This recording was done just as a document for my friend who was playing bass - he wanted something to use as a demo - (braying mules as well!!!) The band was Ben Cook (piano), Volker Nahrmann (bass), and Les Harris Jr. (drums). The location was Michael Timothy's in Nashua.

- Wil

Nice playing for sure....wish I'd been there. The recording sounds good for the piano but there's not enough bass or drums on my speakers and they're usually a little bass heavy. But a very nice live recording...except for the cattle....

Back