listen to short Jazz group

try this

http://www.rochestermusicianservice.com/Jazz.html

maybe this will work with this link.It may cut in and out...I dont know why!!! :confused:Well, it seems to be working now. This is a Jazz bands begining tracks. Hammond,gtr and drums. All live. Trust me ruff mix( literaly gunned it into Sonar,played with it for 1 pass) for this purpose.I would just like to know if you guys feel the "feel" is right for Jazz. I have not done a lot of it. We have to add later horns and percussion.

yeah i'm diggin' it man. i love organ jazz. is it you playing? i'd say the snare sounds too clicky though. make it a little lighter. Also could use some more guitar....place it opposite the organ but still kind of in the distance. Keep in mind it's not really a rhythm instrument right now. I know it's with the "rhythm section", but it's mainly just comping the chords for extra oomph. Try and invision it as a horn player instead playing just little pops and short riffs to fill in the gaps. But sounds great overall. I'd love to hear the rest of this tune when you finish it (or even what you have done now). Listen to some Medeski Martin and Wood (The Lover is a good song to relate to this one)...or some Soulive...great organ jazz/jam bands right there.

P.S. it's nice to finally here some more jazz around here. too many people are recording hip hop and rock/punk. anyone here recording different stuff?? like classical, jazz, weird ass music. i get bored with contemporary stuff.

Thanks Benny!

Not me playing,just enginering. Good idea about the left and right for the organ/guitar. They are a very good group and fun to record. I had them in my main room with the leslie mic'd in the drum room,guitar amp in the vocal room,all players in different room together. No bass other than the hammond. It be the only bass but they are talking about adding a real bass player. Yeah, the snare I had mixed feelings about also. Did the audio cut in and out?? Jim

well i didn't necessarily mean utilizing only L and R channels...however you can try it and see. I just meant opposite one another. I still think the organ would be able to function more as the lead instrument more near the center, but keeping the guitar off to the side of the group. Keeping the horn player analogy i said earlier in mind, try and think of a big band. Rhythm section off to the side of all the horn players. Now, the organ player is the center of attention, but you need to also have a little variety and spice from the horns every once and awhile. The saxes in a band (when it's someone elses turn to shine) usually play syncopated riffs and pops here and there. This is what the guitar player is doing. Maybe also try listening to the snare when doing this and blend the two together since they are both playing syncopated ideas....yeah i just took a listen to it again...definitely do that, i think it will sound awesome. And speaking of the snare, it'd be nice if he played with some brushes maybe (although, I know you probably already have this recorded and aren't going to do it again).

Okay, hope what I suggested made sense. Once again, I have a hard time conveying what my brain is thinking. As far as the audio cutting out...it did the first time I played it. However, I just figured it was loading the audio slower than it was playing (you know how it is when you're streaming something). The second and third time played without a hitch. Good luck man! Let us know when you finish it all.

Thanks

It will be interesting to see what esle exactly they add with reference to instruments. I got you on the panning suggestion. It is great recording great players isnt it! Makes me look good. I did the same with the loading audio, the second time it played fine.

jmorris said:
It is great recording great players isnt it! Makes me look good.

Hahah...so true. It also makes it a lot easier for us to mix 'cause they actually pay attention to what each other band member is doing and how they sound as a group at the moment.

bennychico11 said:
P.S. it's nice to finally here some more jazz around here. too many people are recording hip hop and rock/punk. anyone here recording different stuff?? like classical, jazz, weird ass music. i get bored with contemporary stuff.

Check out Right Here a song I did for a band Will E McFejj in my post in here. They are an awesome blues rock jam band. As for the other band in the thread. Well woudlnt count on anything different.

PS nice recording jmorris. It sounds like a jazz recoding. The snare is a bit snappy but otherwise nice work.

Back