Listen to this or I'll kill you!!!!

R

RAMI

Hehe...Well, maybe not but......

I just finished this today. I posted another version a while ago, but re-wrote and re-did the vocals, as well as the drums and bass.

Any help on my first mix is always appreciated. Thanx.

OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY

Man that's funky!

The kick is a little loud, but it really drives the song, so it's cool. I love all the little guitar and bass licks. Everything sounds really good. Drums sound fantastic. Harmonies sound great as usual. I like how the end solo moves back and forth. What kind of effect is on that lead guitar?

I like how the end solo moves back and forth. What kind of effect is on that lead guitar?

That's called "panning". :D

Hee!!! But seriously, I have a flanger on the guitar in the solos.

That little guitar part on the right is super sweet! I love the little solo you pulled out with that (twice)....sort of a phased/OD thingy goin on.

Probably my favorite groove you've done - so far because you're bound to have more :D But seriously the funk is oozing out of this one.

Bass is perfect - no problems popping up on this one ;)

Drums are great as always. Vocals are straight up good with a flava of layering for good taste. Harmonies are good in the chorus.

I do have to say this is one of your best rhythmically.....totally danceable....

:cool::D:cool::D

That's called "panning". :D

Hee!!! But seriously, I have a flanger on the guitar in the solos.

Lol. Panning duh! :D

Yeah I couldn't tell if it was a flanger, phaser, or some kind of envelope filter. Sounds awesome though. Funky tune man. Needs some cowbell! ;)

Thats some funky stuff.

Graet tighness, love the bass sound on this.

Cool Guitar layers as well.

I like the way you panned this, its like your under attack from all angles, with great riffs:)

Love the flangy Guitar solo.

great track buddy :cool:

Nice sounds man...love those drums. They mesh well with the bass parts...very funky, as already stated. What more can a doofus like me say???? Nice tune man...very cool, and great sounds....:D

Sounds clean and clear with a Cool groove.
I hear something with the s' ?
but I don't know if thats supposed to be like that.
I like the flow of the song, cool chorus !

PLEASE - what are the setting/secrets for the funky bass?
I like the kick in my face on funky ditties.
This could be a new genre white boy funky psychedelia.
I'll be polishing my china too!
"...swimming in denial" punny & funny - some excellent wordsmithing.
I can see you forging etymological links on a syllabic anvil.
Maybe TOO SHORT though.
Might need some girlie backing vox. Can you drop 'em in a vice to reach a high girlie harmony or hire in some?

Last edited:
I found myself looking for hip-hugger bell bottoms and paisley silk shirts.

Damn that was sweet....

Man, your schfincter must be tight to be layin' it down like that :D

Seriously, that's my kind of tunes. babababap u bumpbump...waaaah, uh uh uh, chu chu chuka.

I'm thinking angle flight pants so tight you can see my junk and a paisley print rayon shirt (sorry, can't afford the good import stuff).

Rami,
Nice work. Vocals Bass and Drums excellent.

Love to know how you get the Bass sound myself. Warm with some growl.

Ido, Greg, Nak, Dogman, RocknRollOver, BushMaster, RayC, Rockett, Punkin, TMix....

I fell behind on this thread, and would have liked to thank you all individually. I really appreciate al the comments.

As for the bass, I get alot of comments on it. But I think I just got lucky with a really good bass, because all I do is plug it straight in and play. I pick really hard when I play bass, if that's worth something. And this track was done with brand new strings. It's an Ibanez left'handed "SoundGear" series bass.

Thanx alot everyone.

Rami - I hate you.

I am more than envious of your snare sound. So tight! If you don't share your snare secrets, i'll kill you.

Drums are wicked tight with the bass. Bass sound is just right for this song...

Guitars scratch just right! Very funky

Vocals good - harmonies just right!

I like the song!

cholo

Funky groove, interesting approach to arranging the instruments and choices of tonalities. There is a kinda of round-table with the instruments taking turns putting in their two cents. Even the bass seems to limit its contribution to the gaps. But somehow it all fits into a single catchy groove. The fact that all the parts rarely play at the same time makes mixing an easier task (I imagine so). There isn't any competition between them.

I was particularily impressed with the bass work. Tight and interesting. The mix is also crystal clear with lively sounding guitar tones and punchy bass (assisted by the kick). I didn't feel the vocals set quite right in this tune. It is hard to put my finger on it, but perhaps the vocal styling isn't consistant with deeply funk instrument work.

I would like to have heard a break down somewhere in the middle with a variant groove to break the song up a bit. You through in some special effects in to the solo, but the solo was much too brief amounting to berely more then a fill. In the absense of these parts, I would recommend editing out 45 seconds or so.

Some thoughts, :p

Daren

Rami - I hate you.

I am more than envious of your snare sound. So tight! If you don't share your snare secrets, i'll kill you.

Drums are wicked tight with the bass. Bass sound is just right for this song...

Guitars scratch just right! Very funky

Vocals good - harmonies just right!

I like the song!

cholo
Hey Cholo, thanx alot. I do like the sound I got on the snare in this tune. I didn't do anything different recording-wise, but maybe the style almost makes you hit the drums a certain way, I do't know. I use the GLYN JOHNS method of micing my drums. It's almost like the RECORDMAN method that alot of people talk about on this site, but instead of having the second mic over the drummer's shoulder, it's over the floor tom. Also, I always put my snare mic facing directly down at the skin about 2 inches in. I mean the 57 pointing right down at the floor.

I hope that link helps you, it's worked wonders for me.
I agree with the snare comment. It sounds especially good for this song.
Thanx agaijn, bro. Coming from someone who's recordings and drum sound I respect alot, that means alot.
Funky groove, interesting approach to arranging the instruments and choices of tonalities. There is a kinda of round-table with the instruments taking turns putting in their two cents. Even the bass seems to limit its contribution to the gaps. But somehow it all fits into a single catchy groove. The fact that all the parts rarely play at the same time makes mixing an easier task (I imagine so). There isn't any competition between them.

I was particularily impressed with the bass work. Tight and interesting. The mix is also crystal clear with lively sounding guitar tones and punchy bass (assisted by the kick). I didn't feel the vocals set quite right in this tune. It is hard to put my finger on it, but perhaps the vocal styling isn't consistant with deeply funk instrument work.

I would like to have heard a break down somewhere in the middle with a variant groove to break the song up a bit. You through in some special effects in to the solo, but the solo was much too brief amounting to berely more then a fill. In the absense of these parts, I would recommend editing out 45 seconds or so.

Some thoughts, :p

Daren

Daren, I really appreciate your insight. Great comments. I think I tend to keep my solos short because I'm a little insecure about my guitar playing. So, I try to find something short and sweet that doesn't sound stupid (hopefully), and don't try to bore people with too much of it. :p But I see what you're saying about it maybe being almost too incidental.

The vocals on this song are still iffy for me, too. I changed this from another melody completely, so I might have not sung it as comfortably as I would have if I played with it a bit more.

I really appreciate your (and everyone else's) comments. This is the kind of stuff that makes me improve by getting other ears and brains in on it. And I always come back and read through these threads when I re-mix a tune.

Thanx alot for all the help, everyone.

Hehe...Well, maybe not but......

I just finished this today. I posted another version a while ago, but re-wrote and re-did the vocals, as well as the drums and bass.

Any help on my first mix is always appreciated. Thanx.

OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY
I can't criticize this in the slightest, which is unusual. It just sounds perfect to me. :D

I'm a drummer, so i'm listening mostly to them, but everything else sounds great too.

Back