listen to this and be honest.

xparkerx

if you guys have some feed back that would be swell.

I'm using:

Nuendo
echo mona interface

e609 on guitars, sm57 on snare, akg d112 on kick and bass guitar, (2) crown cm700 for over heads.

let's hear it. ;-)

hey wow... thank you very much. I was looking for insight on the production.. but!! thank you for the praise :)

Hi:

I think it's the drums and bass you have to concern yourself with first.
I'm not talking performance here, I'm talking production.
You want to really define the bass.
The drums I believe are too hot in the mix, they may have been traked too hot, I don't know.

I would go back to drums and bass and work on getting everything defined. You do that and the mix will start to fall into place.

Wicked playing though!

To be straight up it sounds like it was mixed by the drummer. The drums are way too up in the mix except for the bass drum and toms. Also, the bass could use some high end to make it more apparent than what it comes out like, which is an afterthought that I am only hearing because of my subwoofer. Admittedly, I usually play bass in bands so I am a bit of a stickler, but really it is just such low end that it is this blobby mass that lacks definition.

The musicianship flat out kicks ass, but I'd tame the drums and bring that bass out on the high end.

Good stuff.

I think the snare is the loudest thing. not the toms and kick. I dig it that way tho (loud snare). I think the drum mix is pretty good. I want more definition from the kick. I agree with bass master about the bass. The mix was obviously done by a drummer. It would be nice to keep the drums where they are and bring everything else up(guitars, bass) to them, but alas, you probably don't have that much headroom left...so....you are gonna have to bring the drum mix down some. The mics you used seem to work pretty well. You may want to experiment with mic placement on the kick to get away from the mud. You can find that info on this website about micing the drums. Cool stuff keep it up.

hey thanks for the feedback guys.

you guys are totally right on. The snare is too loud for sure. nobody mentioned the overheads i thought that they might be a bit shrill but since no one mentioned it i guess i'm the only one who hears it.

Bass is too boomy i'll give you that. Since the guitars are so overdriven i was hoping that the bass would thicken and carry the main weight of actually making discernable notes out of it. But i went a bit too far. I must be getting bass cancellation where i sit with my monitors because this isn't the first time i've come out too boomy. The mix you guys heard is after i already took some bass out for the first time. weird.

The snare is a bit loud, i have since dropped it in the mix.

I also feel like the toms got lost since they weren't close mic'd

Thanks for all the feedback.. we are looking for a vocalist btw ;-) someone who has a good sense of key and a interesting voice but isn't afraid to scream.

This may be what your after, but in my ear`s eye I`d roll the lows under 65 to 20 down about 2to 3db across the board . trim a lil notch on the kick at around 120 and let the bass voice thru. Add just a touch of 450 for a bit o' clank on the bass. take the overheads on the drums down a notch. Interesting presentation.

sounds good to me. I hope to find time tonight to do some remixing. I'll post the link again once i have it updated with your suggestions.

jay.

colinear said:
good etude! enjoyed it. must have been fun!

Yeah man, great fun to listen to. I think the snare sound is excellent, ride toms too deep in the mix but maybe a phase problem there.

If I could get that snare sound I'd be happy...

Dear Smigital: ;-)

As far as the toms go i need to figure out how to bring them up in the mix with my 4 mic set up. the kick and snare get close mic'd but after that... it's all up to the overheads. Honestly i'm not even sure where i'm sposed to be putting them. If i put them too close i always get tons of snare in them and if i bring them back i lose toms.. uhg...

jay.

mix sounded a little boxy, drums need some EQ in my opinion, kick needs some click and bring down a touch around 150-200hz.. I like my snares more snappy sounding too. I don't mind loud drums, just so long as the frequencies that stand out are not ones that interfere with the body of the other instruments. heck I'm a guitarist more than a drummer and drums still often dominate my mixes.. ideally though everything should have clarity, and some bite.. good playing, now bring out that tone..

Listening - Didn't read, so please excuse any duplicate comments...

Some fine playing going on -

There's an awful lot of low end in there that's muddying up the works...

This was mixed by a drummer...(?) The drums seem like they're in their own little world.

There's a nice mix in there somewhere though... I can feel it...

Cool tune!

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back