Liquid Ireland

Bulls Hit

I took a different approach to mixing the drums on this one. Insteam of mixing the whole kit as a single instrument I mixed them by subgroup - gated kick/snare, toms, overheads and compressed room mic.
My jams are usually around 2 minutes, this one is quite a bit longer, sorry about that...
Any feedback on how the drums sound, or anything else would be fab

**Edit**
New version - added some stuff, removed some more stuff...

Dropbox - Liquid.mp3 - Simplify your life

]

Last edited:
I like the low end on the kick-it's really moving some air, though the kick seems to overwhelm the snare compared to how i remember your drum mixes. Cool stereo guitar sound. I like the vocals-they draw you in to the mix to hear them. I like the side to side delay stuff around 3:20 really cool...Seems like another more high pitched element might help at times between the vocals-there's alot of stuff happening in the low end-my ear wants to hear some high solo element to balance...thats just me though...There's some sounds i think are awesome-some are semi painful--the sound at 6:12 for example is really close to sounding amazing but...Overall it has that unique sound you make though i think the drums have been more punchy and driving in previous tunes-might just be a matter of balance since i think the kick sounds good-my ear just expects the snare to be that much louder also.

The ringing on the kick really isn't doing it for me. It's dominating the low-end of the mix so that when it's not going that whole area seems very empty. (plus, I just like punch, transient drums)

I like the vocals on this one; tho I might have appreciated more lyrics.

I like the low end on the kick-it's really moving some air, though the kick seems to overwhelm the snare compared to how i remember your drum mixes. Cool stereo guitar sound. I like the vocals-they draw you in to the mix to hear them. I like the side to side delay stuff around 3:20 really cool...Seems like another more high pitched element might help at times between the vocals-there's alot of stuff happening in the low end-my ear wants to hear some high solo element to balance...thats just me though...There's some sounds i think are awesome-some are semi painful--the sound at 6:12 for example is really close to sounding amazing but...Overall it has that unique sound you make though i think the drums have been more punchy and driving in previous tunes-might just be a matter of balance since i think the kick sounds good-my ear just expects the snare to be that much louder also.

Hey Strat nice analysis! The low kick will be the compressed room mic which comes in and out at various time. Yeah I normally parallel compress the drums but I didn't this time as I was trying to make the drums seem more dynamic. However I've since recognised the error of my ways :D and I'll revisit that next version. You're spot on about that synth at 6.12. I like the sound but some of the 'notes' could be more musical. There's certainly scope for adding more elements as it's just drums plus 1 other instrument at the moment. Thanks for the feedback

The ringing on the kick really isn't doing it for me. It's dominating the low-end of the mix so that when it's not going that whole area seems very empty. (plus, I just like punch, transient drums)

Heh yeah that's kind of the point, bring it in and out so you notice when it's not there and the mix gets sparse. Lyrics have never been my long suit. But I am pleased with the mileage I got out of those 2 lines :D Thanks for the listen Steve

Can you find a patch that is liquidy? Gotta have that in there somewhere. You got the robotic stuff, but something liquidy

I like the FAME guitars..

Quite a journey here as the song builds

Can you find a patch that is liquidy? Gotta have that in there somewhere. You got the robotic stuff, but something liquidy

I like the FAME guitars..

Quite a journey here as the song builds

Thanks for the listen Steve. Cheers for the Fame reference - one of my all time favourite tracks

Back