links wont work

jake the snake

i dont know if this is the right place to ask this..

i can never get peoples music links to work for me.
every time i click somones posted music link, my pc says internet explorer cannot display the webpage. i turned the pop up blocker off.

what am i missing?

sorry if this is a stupid question, but i want to listen to some of your stuff

this is frustrating.

any forum i go to and click someones posted music link,, the damn thing wont work. wtf!?

someone please

havent got a clue mate...you seem to be the only person here thats experienced this...try turning your fire wall off and see if that works...have you got your internet explorers security set to maximum for browsing ???

i set my internet explorer security from medium to high and i thought that would do it, but instead of "cannot dislpay the webpage" i get "your current security settings do no allow this file to be downloaded".

i have determined its only some links that will not work for me... i have no trouble with myspace links or soundclick links. but dl.dropbox links, and lightningmp3 links do not work for me.

i set my internet explorer security from medium to high and i thought that would do it, but instead of "cannot dislpay the webpage" i get "your current security settings do no allow this file to be downloaded".

i have determined its only some links that will not work for me... i have no trouble with myspace links or soundclick links. but dl.dropbox links, and lightningmp3 links do not work for me.

Is your account on the computer an administrator account?

Also, internet explorer is nothing but trouble. Firefox be the way to go!

i dont know if this is the right place to ask this..

i can never get peoples music links to work for me.
every time i click somones posted music link, my pc says internet explorer cannot display the webpage. i turned the pop up blocker off.

what am i missing?

sorry if this is a stupid question, but i want to listen to some of your stuff

same thing happens to me. if it isn't soundclick, my computer wont open the page. I've turned off my firewall, and reduced my internet security settings, to no avail. I dont know wht the hell is going on.

try turning your fire wall off and see if that works..

That's almost certainly not the problem, leave your firewall on.

Can you load the pages that we link to if you don't click them? For example, when it says the page can't be loaded, what happens if you refresh it?
What happens if you manually copy and paste the links into your URL bar?
Try holding ctrl while clicking a link to force IE to open it in a new tab.

With high security settings, it seems your browser won't allow websites to open windows to other sites. This is to prevent you from accidentally clicking on a link in a site you trust (say, homerecording.com) that sends you to a site you don't trust (i.e. ads.malware.ca).

What other security software are you running? Some of it may interfere with your web browsing.

refreshing, ctrl click, and copy and paste link = same result.

like i said, its only a few of the common music host sites like dl.dropbox, and lightningmp3.. .which sucks because everyone uses those.

do you think i could add these sites to my pc's safe list?
is there such a thing?

or is it that i have to have something from these sites installed on my pc?

Interesting. Can you go to those websites at all? i.e. just type lightningmp3.com into your url bar.

If it still doesn't load, that means the site is blocked. Are you checking the forums at work or home? If you're at work, you're probably S.O.L. If you're at home, try disabling any ad-blocking or website filtering software and plugins you may be using and make sure you don't have entries for thos sites in your HOSTS file.

It might also be worth contacting your ISP.

yea, i can go to those site by typing the url.

im at my home pc... im thinking it might be vista?

i screwed around with my firewall settings, and internet exlporer properties.. still nothing.

the hosts link you posted is a bit over my head.. but thanks for trying.

No worries. If you didn't manually configure your HOSTS file, that means it probably hasn't been done, so that wouldn't be the problem.

That is weird behavior though. I'm stumped.

What happens if you right click a lightningmp3 link, and then choose "save as".

Do you have quicktime, or something similar installed?

success! great suggestion NLS.

right click "save target as" to my desktop and play the mp3 download with windows media player.

whoo hoo

I'm using Vista and IE and have had no problems to speak of. Had FF a long time ago on another comp and might download again.

Back