Line 6

Bulls Hit

**Edit** Thanks to everyone who's had a listen and shared their comments. I've put together another version based on the same jam but with a different arrangement. The 2 drum grooves in the original (v2) went together OK going one way but didn't really transition well going back so I've removed the 2nd transition and shuffled things around a bit in v3. No other mix changes except making the kick slightly more present - it's still got the wet blanket all over it! Does the new version hang together better than the original?

My old Fender amp finally made one farting noise too many so out it went and I picked up a 2nd hand Line 6 Spider.
Always interesting what a new piece of gear brings to play and there seems to be some good tonal variation with this unit.
This is the first jam with it - interested in how the mix balance translates for you or any thoughts at all..

Last edited:
Our guitarist has a Line 6 combo, about the same size as his ancient Fender twin reverb. This has become a bit unreliable - the revert unit suddenly shreaking randomly. The Line 6, while good, is nowhere near the same sound. We all figured we could live with it, but when he brought the fixed Fender back, the difference was surprising. Clarity, tone and volume were very different. The Line 6 gizmos are great, but I was surprised at how good that old amp was.

My old Fender amp finally made one farting noise too many so out it went and I picked up a 2nd hand Line 6 Spider.
Always interesting what a new piece of gear brings to play and there seems to be some good tonal variation with this unit.
This is the first jam with it - interested in how the mix balance translates for you or any thoughts at all..

I think the line 6 is sounding pretty good and blending well in this mix. I like modeling amps. I have a fender mustang that I think sounds good as well.
Nice groove you got going there man.

interesting jam, for sure...
there are some cool tones going on here and there,
but the recording sounds like it's under a wet blanket.

are you planning on fixing the fender?
i mean, you wont be able to coax these really modern kind of sounds out of the fender,
which is what's good for having the line 6....
but when it comes to pure tones, you need the fender.
you need both!

rob aylestone - Yeah I'm guessing some of the dirtier tones on this thing will be unusable for recording. I'm experimenting with using a cleaner amp sound and then drive the preamp harder when recording

jimistone - Thanks jimi. Yeah it's fun to mess around with at least

VomitHatSteve - Cheers VHS

alterman - It sounds verby to you? That is weird. My jams are pretty dry unless I get silly with the room mic. I'll check out that noisegate thing..cheers

GONZO-X - haha wet blanket, yeah not sure why that is. I'm using a 5-string bass, but the jam is not that bass heavy. I'll check under the cover of the 57 - could be a layer of grime in there :D Cheers Gonzo

TripleM - ah damn. Well the Fender's gone. Got 42 bucks for it!

Robus - Hey thanks Robus. Glad you liked it

alterman - I think the wet blanketness is probably at least partly due to the pitch shift effect on some of the guitars which is cloudifying things to a certain extent, plus the lower register

liv_rong - Hey thanks for the spin. If you get a chance have a listen to the 2nd version, see if you think it's any better

The drums are cool. Good beat and tone. The mix is too compressed/loud, though. Painful to listen to. This would be so much cooler if it had more dynamics.

Brilliant, reminds me of someone but can't put my finger on it. I really like the change ups in this tune. The intro is genius!

There are some of the guitar effects panned to the side that I'd bring forward, but that's just me. Just a great mixing job to get (for example after 2:30 or so) that grinding synth to be heard next to the lead guitar.

If I could only play like that ...

Timbo

The drums are cool. Good beat and tone. The mix is too compressed/loud, though. Painful to listen to. This would be so much cooler if it had more dynamics.

Thanks Nola. I guess we come from different end of the how-much-is-too-much spectrum :D

Brilliant, reminds me of someone but can't put my finger on it. I really like the change ups in this tune. The intro is genius!

There are some of the guitar effects panned to the side that I'd bring forward, but that's just me. Just a great mixing job to get (for example after 2:30 or so) that grinding synth to be heard next to the lead guitar.

If I could only play like that ...

Timbo

Hey thanks for the nice comments. Glad you liked it. BTW which version did you listen to?

Back