On The Line

Right from the opening verse, I thought the vocal could use more compression. The "howl's down the track" line didn't seem as loud as the other higher phrases, but "we shine" was pretty loud. So start with gain automation or manual editing, then compress. Did you, by chance, do any volume editing line by line?

Bass can come up a db or so. The vocals are so forward compared to the low end of the mix, it comes off as standing on top of it all a little too much. "with whose life" and the next line are a good example of that...they are way too dominant. Perhaps the vocal can just come down by 2 db or so altogether.

Typed as I listened, apologies if the post seemed chaotic. Great performances. I remember your last tune, you sing well sir. Nice job man

Similar reactions to the previous post. Performances and tracking all sound good. The vocal is out front rather than sitting in the mix. Compression, ambiance, and lowering the overall level of the vocal track might get it sitting better. I didn't find the bass too low. There's actually quite a lot of low end in the mix, but the low level of the backing tracks relative to the vocal makes it seem weak.

I agree, focus on the vocals. A little compression, maybe a touch of reverb, lower them a hair, then see where everything sits/feels.

I'm still learning how to compress vocals myself, so I can't give any advise as to how to exactly do it, but they need to be evened out a bit, then lowered as a whole a tad. The rest of the mix will sound better, too, after you do this I think.

Acoustic sounds great, nice and warm. Bass sounds nice too. Drum beat fits well.

I thought the vocal was noticeably dryer than than the other tracks. It's to the point of it sounding like it's in a different place from everything else.

You might be able to raise the bass a little, and lower the vocal a little. The mandolin solo is pretty quiet.

I do need to state up front that this I NOT my song, or me preforming. It was written and preformed by James May .That being said thanks for the feed back on the mix.
Cheers.

It's pretty well recorded. Vocal has a little bit of comb filtering on it. That's what's making it sound like a different space, I think. You can maybe use reverb to blend them. Agree with TripleM raise the bass a few db and lower the vocal a few db.

On The line

Once again thanks for the input and suggestions on the mix of this James May song. Have made the following changes. Did a little Clip Gain on Vox, Added lite stacked compression to Vox track; 2:1 ratio 1.6 ms attack. 80ms release about 3-6 db GR,Added a "glue Verb" Buss (short Plate) and sent Vox, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin ,Strings, and Drum Busses through it and mixed it back in . The Bass and kick have been run though a separate compression buss and slight verb and sent back to the drum bus, so I didn't really want to add even more verb to them. I also brought down the Vox by about 2db total . Any thoughts on these changes and the result of them are most welcome. Thanks,
D.B.View attachment On the Line 2.Mp3

Vocals are much, much better. More consistent. Nice EQ on them too. Really good mix here, nice.

Please consider contributing to the other threads. This place only stays alive if everyone puts in what they ask for.

Thanks for the feed back, and the suggestions was really a big help. Will check out some of the other threads Cheers,
D.B.

! Sorry something was messed up with my Volume, maybe my girlfriend put the fader down.(I think the mix in generall has a bit low loudness. I really had to pull up my Headphones on my Interface, which I never do.)
Maybe some compression could do good on most tracks cause they all seem to vary in loudness.
The vocals come clear besides that- so they're recorded very good - I think.
I think its a good song besides that :-)
kind regards,
Flo

Last edited:
Back