'lil help

guitarmonkus

Hey all. I just mixed a piece that I'm about to add vocals and audio clips to. I wanted to get some feedback on the mix and originality on the music before i commit to vocals and such.

www.purevolume.com/followthebirds

It's the last clip called "prevocals"

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I should probably say that this was designed to be more of a groove than an actual 'song'. The emotion and drama will come when adding the audio clips and vocals. Just in case you were wondering...

Last edited:
I had to save this from dropping to page 2 without a response....It was right on the cliff of page 1. :D

This is really good. I didn't have the patience to figure out the time signature, but it flows really well for something that seems odd-timing. Great sounds and very soothing music. About a minute in, the drums start getting a bit repetitive and the "loop" factor might start getting annoying. Maybe some variation in the drum track would push this to newer heights. Nice ambient music.

I had to save this from dropping to page 2 without a response....It was right on the cliff of page 1. :D

This is really good. I didn't have the patience to figure out the time signature, but it flows really well for something that seems odd-timing. Great sounds and very soothing music. About a minute in, the drums start getting a bit repetitive and the "loop" factor might start getting annoying. Maybe some variation in the drum track would push this to newer heights. Nice ambient music.

Lets see...1 2 3 4 1 2 1 2 3 4 1 2 1 2
Thats....carry the one....adjust for inflation...14 beats?

or you could count it 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 so 7/8 maybe?

It might stray from that after a while, though. Like Rami said, I zoned out a while into it, due to the repition.

I always enjoy trying to figure out odd signatures and can't help but count along in the car, etc. But it really pisses me off when I can't get it. Yeah, I'm talking to you, Tool, and whatever the new Tool is called.:mad:

Oh, and I should mention that I really like the song - all instruments sound really nice and mellow and its a real good mix. I'd just like to hear it either change up - time sig, chord progression, something... or maybe have a new lead instrument come up over the top half way through to add something new to focus on - synth or real strings, maybe?

I really liked that

as per above ....but also there above now i see, you say it's a pre mix so maybe you will decide that change before the finish of it.

the drums sound like they could have a phase issue but it's more like probably file compression from the site.

or maybe you used a program called recycle? i really dislike that program in terms of what it does to the sonic nature of the sample.

i think it's file compression.

nice tune.

Sounds good. To me it takes a bit too long for the music and beat to start working together imo. Because of the attention drawn to the beat I would think about a different snare sound or more variation. Comes of pretty canned to me at least.

You have a clip/distortion at about 2:38 and at 6:11.

It does not make me think of any other songs my self. Would be nice to at least hear a bridge in there some where. Can't judge too much without the song being completed.

It's got cool potential!

F.S.

Thanks for all the words and for checking it out. I wasn't expecting much response for a uncompleted work, so I certainly appreciate it.

When I wrote the weird time signature part, I had a hard time counting it out as well, so I just started saying 7/8.

It definitely needs some variation, and I plan on working it out when vocals are added.

Thanks again!

Is there a bass in there or is it bass lines of the guitar? I'd say it's there but much of it is buried in the bassy effects of the guitar. Create some space for it define it.
The drum pattern does threaten to take over from the chord progression so changes are needed be they time, speed, chord prog or mix. A vocal ought to deal with that to some extent at lest.
Nice work.

Thanks Rayc. There is a bass line, and I agree that the guitar does sit a little too "bassy" for the bassline to really be heard well. I'm working on another mix..

Sounds okay to me for an unfinished piece. It's very repetitive. I'm not usually a fan of odd time-sigs, but this seems to work pretty well. I'd like to hear it finished up....and maybe under 4 minutes. :D

Back