Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Like A Candle

Thanks

Like A Candle

Sign in to disable this ad

Am I mixing it too loud?

Any suggestions, not just to the mix but overall?

Thanks
    I think it is way too loud, compressed and quite distorted sounding. At first I thought it was just the way the synth was set, but it carried through with the vocals as well.

A quick check of the sound levels show an integrated LUFS of -6.2dB and a range of only 3.5LU and a true peak of 1.8dBTP. That's WAY too loud for a streaming service. Try dialing back the volume a lot so that peaks are a couple of dB below 0, and use a loudness analyzer to get it to around -14dBLUFS. You can use the Orban Loudness Meter to find out where your levels are. Its free.

Thanks
    Thank you very much. I will definitly try that plugin. Its a bit strange though because when listening to popular tracks on youtube like weeknd feat daft punk - starboy.. it seems pretty loud. But the soundcloud mastering plugin lowers my track volume substantionally.

PS I actually downloaded starboy and imported it into protools to reference.. but I guess my track might have been louder.. but not much or I would have noticed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashway View Post
    PS I actually downloaded starboy and imported it into protools to reference.. but I guess my track might have been louder.. but not much or I would have noticed.
    You will find that it is better to go for clarity and punch (loudness perception), You just have to settle with the best you can get. Over compressed and distorted is not at all the way you want to go. You are actually going to get the opposite result.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PDP View Post
    You will find that it is better to go for clarity and punch (loudness perception), You just have to settle with the best you can get. Over compressed and distorted is not at all the way you want to go. You are actually going to get the opposite result.
    Thanks for chiming in. Mastering, dynamics, volume and compressors sure aint my thing :S I guess I will just lower all the tracks going in to the master... then be carefull with the compressor on the master fader.

Thanks
    Something like this..

Thanks
    You're closer but still way too loud. The vocals have cleaned up some.
    Here are the stats on this version. Your average loudness is still under 10. You still have peaks over 0dB. I think you could easily drop it 3 or 4dB more.
    Have your run this mix through a compressor already? It seems to be fairly flat with little dynamic range. Its impossible to tell if this is due to SoundCloud or your original mix.

candle-orban-jpg

Thanks
    i have the ozone 7 on my masterfader. Theres a couple of compressors doing almost nothing.. but the volume is louder than without.. i also have eq and other processes.. no mastering on soundcloud since that costs money.. if i did use it soundcloud would lower the volume a lot.. which is probably a good thing but it seemed expencive to pay a couple of hundred dollars a month for some A.I mastering plugin..

anyway there is not much dynamic range in the song with or without plugins on the master fader.. not really sure how i could fix that

Thanks
    The Youlean (lufs) loudness meter is also a Very good one and free also. I'm sure you'll get the dynamics worked out. As for the song , I thought it was Fantastic! Excellent job on the vocals. They may could be brought up a little when you get some headroom without them getting pushed back down. Enjoyed the listen ... mark

Thanks
    Thats awsome that you enjoyed the track. Thank you. I will do my best to get the volume right and better dynamic.

Thread Information