"Like A Butterfly" acoustic folky original

msnickybee

Here's a new song of mine, I joined a local songwriting group so I think I'm writing more "folky stuff - not sure if that's good or bad!
Anyway, I've wrestled with Mixcraft for years, and always ended up hiding my weak/harsh sounding acoustic tracks behind other tracks. For this I tried a bit harder with a NT1A and a Shure Beta87A, for a much simpler recording to really focus on the guitar sound.
I created the leg-slaps (just for fun ha).
Depressingly, all my songs in the last few years have been about infidelity/separation/loss, so a small prize if you make it to the end.
Its retro style (or my squawky vocals) might not be to your taste, but I really really appreciate any feedback to get better at this (and I still haven't got rid of that glitch 13s in).
Thanks very much!

Like A Butterfly: YouTube

Hi Nicky

That's a fantastic song ... really excellent... and no, it's not too morbid ;-)

There are quite a few things I think are great about it - firstly it has a great tune and some intersting chords... the chord change that starts the second half of each verse is beautiful... very whimsical and not the obvious choice... it catches your ear and makes the melody much more poignant.

It's a well crafted song and flows along nicely... the refrain 'butterfly' that appears through the song isn't overdone... well not to me anyway (!).

On a technical side - your acoustic sounds full... nice warm tones with a good bottom end so you've done something right (you'll have to tell me how you miked things up... (my acoustic sounds crap when I record it).... The backing vocals are subtle and really add to the body of the song and the leg slaps are a nice touch too.

I hear a bit of Sandy Denny in there... but I mean that in a good way - clear strong melody, great voice and memorable song.

Have you considered fleshing out the arrangement with some elctronica (as per Beth Orton?)... there's enough space in your song to add some additional subtle parts.

Anyway - excellent work... I really enjoyed listening to this song.

The guitar sounds good on this.

Something in the vocal chain is throwing me off a little tho. I'm hearing a lot of lip smacks and other extraneous vocal noises, like you're singing way too close to my ear. What kind of mic are you using?

Beautiful - I really like your light, easy picking - made me wander, and I was flashing back to early YES' Steve Howe.

On my headphones, what I took as your added leg-slaps came across as static clicks - not percussive at all on this end.

What model Taylor is that?

Hi Nicky
That's a fantastic song ... really excellent... and no, it's not too morbid ;-)
Wowwwww! Thanks! Seriously, your words really made me day reading them earlier!!!!
The "Like A Butterfly" repeating like was a risk, I agree, glad I got away with it!
That Asus4 -> Bmin7 -> Cmaj7 was a risk too...
I recorded a dynamic mic at the upper bout (4") and a capacitor (NT1A) at the lower bout (12"), and panned them, tiny bit of compression on the latter, EQ'd them differently, and a fair bit of reverb. It's been different with every guitar I've tried, Warren Huart (Produce Like A Pro YouTube channel) uses a Yamaha LL16, and I've got a similar Yamaha. My Martin is a bit boomy, my Taylor a bit thin (better for DI live), so I think it's a tricky thing!

The Beth Orton idea, not listened to her for years, I love synths (done a few other songs on my channel) but the subtlety is the hard thing to get right. Thanks for the idea!!!
Again, thanks for your lovely words, really nice to get some constructive thoughts and that the music & melody was appreciated too ?

Something in the vocal chain is throwing me off a little tho. I'm hearing a lot of lip smacks and other extraneous vocal noises, like you're singing way too close to my ear. What kind of mic are you using?
Thanks for listening and taking the time to comment! Glad the guitar sound worked!
Vocal sound is something I've always struggled with, you're right. I think I'm a very sibilant singer. Whether with a dynamic or a condenser, I also think both of my mics (Shure Beta 87A and Rode NT1A) are a bit bright. Backing off distance wise is increasing hiss as I increase my (noisy) preamps, but I've got to trust the 24bit noise floor more I think. So getting that recording level right from a distance has been tough for me, given I'm not really in a quiet environment.
I also see a lot of musicians on YouTube who sing close, and the artefacts aren't as bad as mine, so I do need to improve my technique and/or angle. There sure are worse examples of my earlier work on my YouTube channel ha ha!
Thanks for your thoughts, it's appreciated! ?

Beautiful - I really like your light, easy picking - made me wander, and I was flashing back to early YES' Steve Howe.

On my headphones, what I took as your added leg-slaps came across as static clicks - not percussive at all on this end.

What model Taylor is that?
Thank you so much, that's quite a complement (not sure deserved lol) on the guitar playing!
Bit strange about the leg slaps, there's a fair bit of low end in them too, hmmmm.
The Taylor in the video is a GS-Mini (one of those travel guitars, but it really is ace and I love it), but I used my Yamaha FGX730SC for the recording, lipsync and guitar sync'ing for the cheesy video ?
Thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment, it means a lot!!

LOL! Now that explains it! :laughings: I have a Taylor Big Baby and there's no way I can get that sound out of it. I don't fingerpick, so
I'm not really getting the best from it.

I've listened to your previous material, and your vocal recording here on Like A Butterfly is much improved. I didn't detect
sharp sounds, pops and clicks as others may have.

Once I get all my gear set up from my move, I may noodle around on the bass to this song and see where it takes me. It's similar to a lot of
stuff we were writing back the 70's.

LOL! Now that explains it! :laughings: I have a Taylor Big Baby and there's no way I can get that sound out of it. I don't fingerpick, so
I'm not really getting the best from it.
I've listened to your previous material, and your vocal recording here on Like A Butterfly is much improved. I didn't detect
sharp sounds, pops and clicks as others may have.

Once I get all my gear set up from my move, I may noodle around on the bass to this song and see where it takes me. It's similar to a lot of
stuff we were writing back the 70's.
The Big Baby is a smashing guitar! But I know what you mean. I have a KK pickup fitted in my GS-Mini, and it's fairly reasonable for DI recording, way better than your average piezo.
Thanks (sympathies!) for listening to my previous stuff!

I did think of adding bass, because the droning picked-D note does allow for some variation that a bass could add, but perhaps that's its appeal, I don't know. But it sure would be a good experiment!

Oh, I know what I meant to mention, the "A1StereoControl" VST was invaluable for this track, it allows you to centre bass frequencies below a certain frequency, which when stereo mic'ing could easily have had that acoustic boominess just in a single ear (painful).

Thanks again!

PS whilst I didn't quite make it to my teens in the 70s, Lyndsey Buckingham is never far from my playlist (nor the Beatles), Suzanne Vega...… (although that's 1984....)

The Big Baby is a smashing guitar! But I know what you mean. I have a KK pickup fitted in my GS-Mini, and it's fairly reasonable for DI recording, way better than your average piezo.
Thanks (sympathies!) for listening to my previous stuff!

I did think of adding bass, because the droning picked-D note does allow for some variation that a bass could add, but perhaps that's its appeal, I don't know. But it sure would be a good experiment!

Oh, I know what I meant to mention, the "A1StereoControl" VST was invaluable for this track, it allows you to centre bass frequencies below a certain frequency, which when stereo mic'ing could easily have had that acoustic boominess just in a single ear (painful).

Thanks again!

PS whilst I didn't quite make it to my teens in the 70s, Lyndsey Buckingham is never far from my playlist (nor the Beatles), Suzanne Vega...… (although that's 1984....)

Thanks for mentioning the A1StereoControl - looks good. I'll add that to my arsenal.

Hey, new user here so just thought I'd share some thoughts.

The guitar sounds absolutely lovely, really nice stuff. I also think the leg-slaps are great - they had a nice and subtle, yet interesting, rhythmic edge to those sections.

The vocals are good, solid, and the harmonies are really nice. I wonder if you could incorporate some more harmonies actually, and maybe bring the vocals up a tad? They sound a little reserved, perhaps, in the mix - although this might be the effect you were going for. I'm just picturing a butterfly, spreading its wings, and thing the vocals could spread their wings a little more. But really lovely overall, great stuff.

The guitar sounds absolutely lovely, really nice stuff. I also think the leg-slaps are great - they had a nice and subtle, yet interesting, rhythmic edge to those sections.
The vocals are good, solid, and the harmonies are really nice.
hey, thanks! I tried to go for an overall subtle feel, which isn't my normal thing, I normally add in as many tracks as possible!!!

I wonder if you could incorporate some more harmonies actually, and maybe bring the vocals up a tad? They sound a little reserved, perhaps, in the mix - although this might be the effect you were going for. I'm just picturing a butterfly, spreading its wings, and thing the vocals could spread their wings a little more. But really lovely overall, great stuff.
I know what you mean, I've normally raised up BV's, as I'm a fan of getting good harmonies in there that you can *hear*… and some folks have criticised me for that in the past, it's a balance, taste perhaps... in this one I think I tried to layer things in so you can't "hear the production", and just focus on the song, you know?
but this kind of thing is SO hard...

thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!!!! (I really appreciate it)

Same. There's something really high pitched, little pops or lip smacks or both. And whatever is tapping at 1:20 isn't so great sounding. What is that?

Several of you folks have pointed out high-pitched artefacts, pops, lip-smacks etc in the vocals, and you're right. I went back to it and did some more examination and editing. To be honest, I rushed the release of this, and didn't do enough editing, with the idea of "keeping it real" (and leaving breath sounds etc).
So anyway, I tried my best to fix them. I'm far from an expert, and some "fff" sounds remain, but it's better I think.
I also improved the vocal sound and BV's as some other folks asked, and made the leg-slaps stand out more.
Thanks SO much to all of you, you're the best!

Here's v2 of Like A Butterfly :
YouTube

The second one is better. (I had to quote/reply to find the link - no links are showing up on my phone anymore?)

I’m not a fan of the “percussion” but that’s probably a taste thing. Maybe a bit of shaker instead would fit better for me. And the second guitar is something that I’d probably save for the chorus, at least keep it back some until then. It just felt a little heavy in spots. Again, personal preference.

I’d like to have heard the audio mixes without he video at first. It can force you to focus on getting that dialed in before posting on YT, where there’s no ability to update with minor tweaks. (And maybe find time to locate another butterfly clip instead of a moth ;))

In the chorus there's a percussive bit that makes my MacBook vibrate - just sets off a resonance. Doesn't do it in the studio. Can't hear/see a glitch 13s in? I liked it, but oddly I never ever listen to words, they're just decoration. So loved the song, loved the playing and made no connection with the worlds so didn't notice it was about something - not you, I never ever listen to words - maybe two or three songs ever that I have really made a connection with words in terms of a story. Just me, I guess.

Hi there msnickybee!

First things first - the guitar on this song is first class. I love the sound also, forgive my ignorance but is this an electro acoustic or did you record with a mic? The sound is lush. I love the chord change when you sing “high and dry” and especially around 2:08 “wave goodbye, like a butterfly”. Really nice chord change. The synth at the end was a nice welcome addition and I enjoyed the strumming guitar too although I feel there might be a way you could really maximise the effect of the strumming guitar coming in. Unsure exactly how.

My only critiques really would be that the tambourine feels slightly too sporadic for my liking and as has been previously mentioned regarding the leg taps, I’m not 100% on how I feel about them but I like that it sounds quite different.

Overall this is really amazing work, well done!

I’m not a fan of the “percussion” but that’s probably a taste thing. Maybe a bit of shaker instead would fit better for me. And the second guitar is something that I’d probably save for the chorus, at least keep it back some until then. It just felt a little heavy in spots. Again, personal preference.
I’d like to have heard the audio mixes without he video at first. It can force you to focus on getting that dialed in before posting on YT, where there’s no ability to update with minor tweaks. (And maybe find time to locate another butterfly clip instead of a moth ;))
Ah, I'm busted on the moth!!! I should've spent longer throwing that video together :-(
I hate the poor quality of SoundCloud so I guess I've always focussed on YouTube, I didn't think people would download 48/24 WAVs but maybe you guys would! On the leg slaps, I guess I got a little focussed on McCartney's "Another Day"... I'm very 70s focussed these days....
Thanks for taking the time to listen *again* and comment!!! Means a lot :-)

In the chorus there's a percussive bit that makes my MacBook vibrate - just sets off a resonance. Doesn't do it in the studio. Can't hear/see a glitch 13s in? I liked it, but oddly I never ever listen to words, they're just decoration. So loved the song, loved the playing and made no connection with the worlds so didn't notice it was about something - not you, I never ever listen to words - maybe two or three songs ever that I have really made a connection with words in terms of a story. Just me, I guess.
The glitch was in version 1, and was a harsh spike in the guitar tracks (removed it). The song is about having the strength to escape from a relationship, then rejection & loneliness, then anger & karma, and ultimately feeling safe & the freedom in just flying away. All very depressing stuff ha ha ;-)
I'm so pleased that you loved it, and happy that you took the time to listen and write a comment, thank you!!!!

First things first - the guitar on this song is first class. I love the sound also, forgive my ignorance but is this an electro acoustic or did you record with a mic? The sound is lush. I love the chord change when you sing “high and dry” and especially around 2:08 “wave goodbye, like a butterfly”. Really nice chord change. The synth at the end was a nice welcome addition and I enjoyed the strumming guitar too although I feel there might be a way you could really maximise the effect of the strumming guitar coming in. Unsure exactly how.
My only critiques really would be that the tambourine feels slightly too sporadic for my liking and as has been previously mentioned regarding the leg taps, I’m not 100% on how I feel about them but I like that it sounds quite different.
Thank you!
I use my electro-acoustic Yamaha FGX730SC, but not plugged in. 2 mics, Shure Beta 87A dynamic at the upper bout maybe 3-4 inches, and my Rode NT1A capacitor at the lower bout maybe 12 inches away. Panned L & R but with a stereo VST that can control the centreing of the bass frequencies. Some EQ tweaks, and a wee bit of compression during recording.
The "wave goodbye" chord change benefits from the 2nd guitar overdub which I recorded with a high capo playing different chords but in the same key (if you know what I mean), and gently strummed with my thumb (plenty of chorus/reverb). I know what you mean, I've blended it into the background as I was fearful of over-producing this one, which I have literally done to every-single-thing I've ever written and recorded.....
Good point about the tambourine, I've left it a bit sporadic haven't I? And the leg-slaps, I got a bit obsessed with early McCartney (eg "Another Day", RAM album) on that, didn't I! But it came from a place where I'd used a lot of loops in previous songs, and wanted something a bit more homegrown and authentic (if that makes sense).
Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!!! :-)
Oh and P.S. the "synth at the end" was actually my voice!!! (a bit echoey and processed, but all me lol)

Back