"Lightspeed"

JohnnyAmato

Hey all, been absent from here for a while, hope everyone's doing well.

Latest track, "Lightspeed" (Country pop-rock, I think)

I think the mix is close. Going to be doing a video for it soon, and want to make sure the mix is in the right ballpark.

If anything jumps out at anyone, good or bad, I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Dropbox - LightspeedMix8Demo.wav - Simplify your life

Last edited:
Hello!
Nice song.Overall good sounding. If I should point at something I find the drums, especially the kick, a bit loud during the verses.

Excellent advice La9, I do have most of the kit a tiny bit lower in the verses, but probably not enough to be noticeable. I'll soften them up a tad more. Thanks so much for the listen!!!

Bass may be a little loud for me.

I think I disagree with La on the kick in the verse. That seems to be in a good place.

I really liked the energy in this one , starting with the chorus really slams you right into it. That was great guitar work as well as the vocals. Enjoyed it . mark

Incredibly well produced. Was this mixed/recorded professionally? Might consider some light reverb to fatten the lead vocal - but totally optional. Bass seems slightly loud in the mix. Great performances all around. How are you getting that guitar tone? VST plugin?

I think it sounds as good as anything I have heard on radio and definitely has that catchy country chorus. I think production is pretty good and tight. Great job

Incredibly well produced. Was this mixed/recorded professionally? Might consider some light reverb to fatten the lead vocal - but totally optional. Bass seems slightly loud in the mix. Great performances all around. How are you getting that guitar tone? VST plugin?

Hey Stevie! Thanks for the comments! Recorded and mixed it right here at my home studio. Guitar tones were varied - Stereo rhythm guitars were direct with my Digitech GNX3000, with two different tones. Leads were all the 3000 again but through my 98 Fender Twin mic'd with a 57 (I believe I had a '62 Fender Bassman setting on the 3000) A few different USA strats were used, but my '97 Jeff Beck strat did most of it. There's also strummed stereo acoustics, although pretty low in the mix, that was my Taylor 816 mic'd with the Slate VMS1 condenser (do all my vocals with this mic as well)

Two people have now mentioned how the bass might be a tad hot, maybe I'll lower it a db or two. And there is a touch of reverb on the lead vocal, very minimal though, I'll experiment with a touch more maybe. There's also a smidge of two delays on it, a slap and quarter-note, but very low.

Gave this song a break for a bit- going back eventually with fresh ears, while I worked on other stuff. Hoping to have it fully done as I'm going to be doing a video with it. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Sounds excellent, smooth performances all around. Very easy to listen to, love the smooth harmonies, catchy tune. As far as mix, i prefer my vocals a little farther back, i think they're perfect in the verses, but the chorus the main vocal pops out a bit too much for my taste, thats just me. I jumped for my volume knob a bit when the first chorus hit and adjusted my volume to the vocals if that makes sense. Other than that--great solo tone, i checked and damn its a digitech! I'll blame you and the guitar for the great tone and tasty playing.

Great catchy song, awesome riffs, guitar solos and great overall sound...I just listened to this on my laptop speakers (I know I can't hear much low frequencies on laptop speakers but everything that I could hear, it sounds excellent!)...by the way, I really like how crisp that snare sounds...I wish I knew how to mix a snare that sounded THAT good!!

Back