"The Light" (An original, that I am VERY proud of)

propman

For some reason or another, I was struck with inspiration the other day, and sat down for a few hours and recorded this. I am VERY proud of this song, and I would like to know what you think.
The Light
Thanks guys.

-Adam.

Hi propman, pretty cool tune, but some parts of it I like more than others. The synth sound which drives the musical melody is very cool, but overall the song is too tech heavy for my tastes. Your voice is very good, and works well on the verses, but I really wish Autotune (or whatever pitch correcting program you used on the chorus vocal) had never been invented. In my opinion, that effect on the chorus vox turns a really cool song into something trite and commercial. But that's just my taste. Maybe that's what you were going for.

Overall very close to being very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Hi propman, pretty cool tune, but some parts of it I like more than others. The synth sound which drives the musical melody is very cool, but overall the song is too tech heavy for my tastes. Your voice is very good, and works well on the verses, but I really wish Autotune (or whatever pitch correcting program you used on the chorus vocal) had never been invented. In my opinion, that effect on the chorus vox turns a really cool song into something trite and commercial. But that's just my taste. Maybe that's what you were going for.

Overall very close to being very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Actually what you are hearing is not autotune. I sang each note of that part individually, and patched them together. Autotune would not have sounded that good.

The synth reminds me of Being Boiled by the original Human League - it works really well.
The spliced vocal stuff in the chorus is interesting - not heavy handed as in Cher et al but obviously deliberate.
As things progressed I missed the heavy & rather ominous synth's dominance but it fits well at the level you've given it & the melody carries the song well anyway.
Good stuff!

i really like the vocal effect during the chorus and everything sounds great as far as tone and the mix of it. cool song. two thumbs up.

The vocal splices worked well with no discernable clip or crackle. I would have said Autotune too. The effect was melodic :cool: and not bad as some stuff out there. I think the whole mix is good, it's a catchy tune and you should indeed give yourself some kudos for a job well done...

Wow, I can understand you being proud of this....:)
Very catchy tune, nice arrangement, great singing. I really liked the vocal effect in the chorus. I do feel a bit of Human League or Depeche Mode influence, only you're better and and don't get on my nerves like they did! Nice recording, well done!

Joe :):):):)

Lol. Very 80's sounding. Not bad. I like the chorus vocal effect for this song. I think anywhere else I'd shit all over something sounding like that, but it sounds just right for this song. Very creative and well done.

The only thing I don't like are the cheesey casio sounding handclaps. Do some real claps in there mixed in with some finger snaps. It'll sound cool.

I love the chorus melodies with the vocal effect, really cool. The song itself is well written, its a little bit porcupine tree-ish in places (listen to in absentia)

I think it would benefit from the addition of an instrument or 2 that isn't from a synth, but thats just what I would do. I wouldn't mind a solo as well, just to break it up.

Overall very nice work. The synth work is nicely constructed, and it doesn't get on top of itself, which is normally what happens when I try to work a synth :)

Keep it up, I would like to hear more :)

Really smooth Adam. My 9 yr old girl absolutely loves it :D!

Y'know, if someone described this tune to me...the instrumentation, vocal effects, etc., I would guess that I would hate it, but you make it work somehow. Pretty fun listen and seems to be an excellent mix to my ears. A nice melody - I particularly like the background vocals that come in on either side during the chorus. I too was thrown by the hand claps, but what do I know?...I am out of my element here to be sure. The power~cower~shower segment struck me as odd, but I am by no means a lyricist. Love the synthy accent sounds during that portion though. Really nice job!:cool:

Very 80's indeed. But I liked it just the same. You have a good balance going on in the mix.

The vocal harmonies in the chorus have an almost vocoder quality to them. Very cool considering how you got it. Too bad it's not something you could ever duplicate live...

Adam - this is great!
You're 16?
Awesome, keep it up!
Other stuff on your Soundclick page sounds really good.
Cheers,
-Rich

16 and writing music, your a little ahead (i'm 17) and starting to delve into electronica.

btw, there is a song called "the light" by the album leaf. the thought just popped into my head as i read the song name, i'm not saying it's a bad thing, but yeah.

I love the chorus melodies with the vocal effect, really cool. The song itself is well written, its a little bit porcupine tree-ish in places (listen to in absentia)

I think it would benefit from the addition of an instrument or 2 that isn't from a synth, but thats just what I would do. I wouldn't mind a solo as well, just to break it up.

Overall very nice work. The synth work is nicely constructed, and it doesn't get on top of itself, which is normally what happens when I try to work a synth :)

Keep it up, I would like to hear more :)
I have that trouble of getting synth parts mudded up together too, but I guess this time I was just lucky. It was strange. Some of the melodies I used to construct the parts seemed to come from nowhere. It was one of those things that I REALLY enjoyed recording. Like, I had tons of fun playing around, and that doesn't really happen that often. Sometimes it just seems like work you know? As for the real instrument suggestion, I did try to put a bit of guitar in there and stuff, but nothing was working for me, so I just tried to go all techno. as for the link to porcupine tree, that is really flattering indeed. I like that band very much. Thanks for listening.

Lol. Very 80's sounding. Not bad. I like the chorus vocal effect for this song. I think anywhere else I'd shit all over something sounding like that, but it sounds just right for this song. Very creative and well done.

The only thing I don't like are the cheesey casio sounding handclaps. Do some real claps in there mixed in with some finger snaps. It'll sound cool.
Greg, you are right indeed. This sounds very 80s. I didn't really notice it untill I did a relisten. I thought up untill then that it sounded pretty modern. I suppose I was wrong. I am flattered that you found my song worthy enough to not shit all over. :D It sounds kind of odd, but I like your music a lot, and I kind of have tried to make stuff that you would like for if anything just to push me in another direction, and to keep myself from going stale. You have tons of talent. Thanks for listening.

i really like the vocal effect during the chorus and everything sounds great as far as tone and the mix of it. cool song. two thumbs up.
Thank you very much for taking time out to listen. You know, it seems like with this song that I have captured a mood I have been trying to put down on recording for a long time. I listen to mostly They Might Be Giants stuff, but I stepped away from them for a few days and listened to The Apples in Stereo (who aren't bad at all. They have very catchy stuff.) and another band that I found through SNL called Fleet Foxes. After a few days of those two I came up with this thing.

The vocal splices worked well with no discernable clip or crackle. I would have said Autotune too. The effect was melodic :cool: and not bad as some stuff out there. I think the whole mix is good, it's a catchy tune and you should indeed give yourself some kudos for a job well done...
Thanks very much. You know, I was iffy about saying I was proud of this, because I didn't want to seem like a pompous arrogant jerk tooting his own horn, but I did because I am. It is hard sometimes to believe that I made some of the stuff I did. I feel very detached from some of my music, like I didn't even write it. I will listen and go, how on earth did I do that, and why can't I do i again. I am going to give myself kudos, but only because you asked me to. :D

Wow, I can understand you being proud of this....:)
Very catchy tune, nice arrangement, great singing. I really liked the vocal effect in the chorus. I do feel a bit of Human League or Depeche Mode influence, only you're better and and don't get on my nerves like they did! Nice recording, well done!

Joe :):):):)
Ha. I am glad to hear that I don't get on your nerves! :D I have never heard of those two bands, and from the sound of it, I guess I don't want to. It is cool to hear what people come up with when trying to pick a song apart. They say they are influenced by the beatles, when in fact, they are influenced by another band, who was influenced by the beatles. If you want to know what I think, I believe everybody is influenced by everybody or there would be no music. Talking about the beatles reminds me though. I got an odd package in the mail with no return address. I opened it up, and it wa Ringo's autograph! I was floored. I had sent him something to autograph after he went on that tirade of saying he would toss stuff sent to him in the garbage after a certain date, so I sent it in. Two months later, there it is, and I couldn't have been more thrilled/shocked than I was at that moment. I had a smile plastered on my face so huge, I could have gotten the roll of the joker in tha next batman film. ("You wanna know how I got these scars?") Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to listen to, and comment on my song. It means a lot.

-Adam.

Really smooth Adam. My 9 yr old girl absolutely loves it :D!

Y'know, if someone described this tune to me...the instrumentation, vocal effects, etc., I would guess that I would hate it, but you make it work somehow. Pretty fun listen and seems to be an excellent mix to my ears. A nice melody - I particularly like the background vocals that come in on either side during the chorus. I too was thrown by the hand claps, but what do I know?...I am out of my element here to be sure. The power~cower~shower segment struck me as odd, but I am by no means a lyricist. Love the synthy accent sounds during that portion though. Really nice job!:cool:
Hey buddy. I am really happy that your kid likes it. When you can impress the little ones, you know it's got to be good, because if it isn't they don't have a problem telling you! The hand claps were put in there because I just like the way they sound. Really I guess that's why the whole song is here. I know there is something that would sound better, but I'm happy with it. And the powe-cower-shower part is just something I put in there beacuse it made me laught, and I agree. It is odd, but then again the rest of the song doesn't really make that much sense. Thanks a lot for having a listen, and keep up what you are doing. Your stuff sounds great.
Very 80's indeed. But I liked it just the same. You have a good balance going on in the mix.

The vocal harmonies in the chorus have an almost vocoder quality to them. Very cool considering how you got it. Too bad it's not something you could ever duplicate live...
I really love the vocoder, and I think I was kind of trying to go for that sound. Actually, I considered using one for that part, but I thought that this would sound cooler. Thanks for taking a listen.

Adam - this is great!
You're 16?
Awesome, keep it up!
Other stuff on your Soundclick page sounds really good.
Cheers,
-Rich
Yup. I am. I was kind of hoping nobody would notice that, because I felt like they would judge the music based on my age, and the reviews would tend to be a bit nicer because of that, and I don't really like bias. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I just wanting my music up there with the rest, and not some place it shouldn't have been, You know? Anyway, thank for the listen. I really appreciate it.

16 and writing music, your a little ahead (i'm 17) and starting to delve into electronica.

btw, there is a song called "the light" by the album leaf. the thought just popped into my head as i read the song name, i'm not saying it's a bad thing, but yeah.
I have been writing songs (with lyrics that is) from about 13 or 14. I will be the first to admit, most of them were not really that great. I used to be into electronica for a really long while, and was and still am a huge fan of Aphex Twin. That guy is a genious in my mind. I would like to hear some of your stuff some time. Maybe we could collab or something. Thanks for having a listen.

-Adam.

Greg, you are right indeed. This sounds very 80s. I didn't really notice it untill I did a relisten. I thought up untill then that it sounded pretty modern. I suppose I was wrong. I am flattered that you found my song worthy enough to not shit all over. :D It sounds kind of odd, but I like your music a lot, and I kind of have tried to make stuff that you would like for if anything just to push me in another direction, and to keep myself from going stale. You have tons of talent. Thanks for listening.

No, thank you. :)

I didn't mean that I'd shit all over your whole song. Lol. I meant that I'd probably normally make fun of someone doing that vocal thing you did in the chorus, but it sounds good in your song. I like it. And there's nothing wrong with sounding like the 80's. I didn't mean that as an insult. Yeah the 80's contained a lot of fluff, but it also had some really great and influential shit going on. I'm a product of the 80's. Hell, I bet the 80's contained more musical variety than any other decade.

And we're still gonna do that one we talked about. ;)

No, thank you. :)

I didn't mean that I'd shit all over your whole song. Lol. I meant that I'd probably normally make fun of someone doing that vocal thing you did in the chorus, but it sounds good in your song. I like it. And there's nothing wrong with sounding like the 80's. I didn't mean that as an insult. Yeah the 80's contained a lot of fluff, but it also had some really great and influential shit going on. I'm a product of the 80's. Hell, I bet the 80's contained more musical variety than any other decade.

And we're still gonna do that one we talked about. ;)
Cool. Can't wait. :D

-Adam.

And the power-cower-shower part is just something I put in there beacuse it made me laugh.

Nope...never mind. I get it now. For some reason I wasn't hearing the word "just" in there...now it makes perfect sense and is in fact, funny.

As for the age thing, I really don't think it matters in this setting at least...we are all virtual beings here - just a series of keystrokes and maybe an avatar. Everyone's music speaks for itself, and you are on a roll...remarkable consistency...really. Nothing ever seems out of place or off. It all seems very deliberate. Having said that, it still cracks me up that you're 16 though...:p

I have been writing songs (with lyrics that is) from about 13 or 14. I will be the first to admit, most of them were not really that great. I used to be into electronica for a really long while, and was and still am a huge fan of Aphex Twin. That guy is a genious in my mind. I would like to hear some of your stuff some time. Maybe we could collab or something. Thanks for having a listen.

-Adam.

that's so sick, keep it up, i'm going to check out the rest of the songs. online collab sounds fun, i've never tried it before and have no idea how in the world you would do it.

Back