Let's Go by Roberts Red

iwantmypie

First time posting a song up here so take it easy on me :D Anyway here is one of my band's songs that I recorded for our upcoming release. It is still missing a guitar solo, backing vox, and possible rerecord of the lead vox. We are very short on equipment but here is what we used

Drums
OH: 2X MXL 990
Snare: SM57 on top
Rack and Floor Tom: 2X cheap Nadys from Musicians Friends haha
Kick: SM58

Guitar
SM57

Bass
DI: Whirlwind
Rig: MXL 990

Vocals
MXL 990

Audio Interface
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile in HP laptop running n-Track v3.3 recorded at 24bits/48k

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the Audiophiles, they'd know they only have 2 inputs so that doesn't make recording drums easy at all. We spent over a week trying to get a good drum sound and the overheads still overpower everything. It's really hard to try and take away some of the highend without killing all the other drums. This is the biggest problem I have with all our songs. If anyone knows any remedys for this kinda problem thatd great. So hack away at it all you want. Thanks

I also "masterd (hahahaha)" it with some EQ, Comp, and Limit to smash the living snot out of it like everyone likes it now a days hahaha.

Let's Go

Last edited:
Hey man, cool tune. I really like the overdrive on the guitar. I dont have much experience with recording drums, but yours sound good to me. Sorry I can't offer any advice, just wanted ya to let you know I dig the tune!

Last edited:
Cool song,
the guitars and bass sound really good, perfect for this style ...the vocals to me seemed to hit and miss, sometimes the "attitude" shined through and other times it just sounded a little weak and not quite hittin on all cylinders..
the drums were really cool (sorta keith moonish) really busy but at times again seemed a little off and the snare was floppy..don't think it was the micing just the actual sound of the snare..lacked any snap....overall it didn't really distract from its listenability..great job

Thank you very much for the feedback. I will try to keep that in mind when we rerecord the vocals. My drummer thanks you for the complement as Keith Moon is his biggest influence. :D

Back