"Let Me Go"

ollie99

Eventually I have finished it, my song called "Let Me Go". I played all the instruments and my friend sang. Please leave criticism on the playing, mixing and general quality (This is the nearest I have ever got to sounding professional). I have also attached an avenged sevenfold cover I did in January just to show how far I have come in the quality of my recordings in such a short amount of time (but don't comment on that one).
Enjoy!

My new song:

And the old one:

Well played and recorded. I could do with a bit more reverb and louder vocals but that's just my preference so not anything I'd worry about....

actually I would like some advice on the vocals, I thought I may have put TOO MUCH reverb on them

The reverb may be what's putting them more in the background. It's the guitars that I would add more reverb to - just to give the mix some ambience. That would make them less "in your face" which is, as I said, a matter of taste.

yeah, you might be right though, the guitars hardly have any reverb I dont think, but I dont think I'll change anything, I've heard many stories about people getting in the bad habit of going back and making changes all the time and I dont want to start that

Honest critique time:

The drums sound a bit mono and small. They need a bit more "room and boom." The vox could be a bit drier--or not--but either way, they need to come up in the mix some. Also, while I can detect the bass, the overall bottom end of the mix seems to be lacking a bit. Maybe it's more the lower mids than the bottom end, but it seems strident in the upper range.

Now, having said all that, what I really want to say is this: if I had played and tracked like that when I was 15, I'd be completely stoked. You're way ahead of the curve--keep it up!

yeah, you might be right though, the guitars hardly have any reverb I dont think, but I dont think I'll change anything, I've heard many stories about people getting in the bad habit of going back and making changes all the time and I dont want to start that
You're on the right track, you have to call it "done" at some point. I feel that way songwriting wise but when time came for mastering I found myself re-recording, remixing and editing everything - and my skills had improved so it went hand in hand. Now they are mastered, I can't see myself redoing them again - I'm satisfied with the end result now (not perfect but not bad c: ).

thanks guys :) I do understand what you are saying and yes I do realise the result is not bad at al for my first proper song :) Although I didnt make it easy for myself. After tracking I moved the whole project into reaper, and it was all very muddled because everything was in little bits and I needed to split certain bits down again. The whole thing was in a mess tbh and although I had it all in my head, anyone els who would have looked at it would have been very confused, but I got out of it okay. The next song should be easier because I'm writing it specifically for my band which means only one guitar part, generally making everything a bit clearer.

As to the drums sounding mono, thats because they are, the interface I was using couldn't send seperate inputs to seperate tracks and I'm recording in an untreated basement room so I'm not surprised really.

I agree it could use more bass. There are a couple of spots where there is just one guitar playing one note. Those guitar tracks are a bit too soft. When the other gutiar comes in playing chords, it makes them sound small.

I'm hearing some pitch problems with the vocal. Particularly early in the song. I agree that they're too far back in the mix. They are getting covered a little bit by the gutiars.

I also agree the drums are small and narrow. I'm having trouble hearing the kick.

Guitars sound good, but are dominating. The drums need to be bigger in the mix - also seem a little out of time here and there. Overall a pretty solid effort, however!

Yeah, I agree with both of you, and this was my first proper song really so I will take everything into account people have said on here and try and make my next song better mixed, tracked and generally tighter. My next song btw has been written and is for my band so will include more people (this song was just me and my friend singing). But thanks :)

Back