Let me do a guitar solo for you!

Ford Van

Banned
Just looking to get the creative juices going again! No promises that I can do a GOOD solo for you, but I will give it a good shot.

The rules:

1 - LISTEN to my work I will post links to below. This should give you an idea of the way I play. I don't do country/bluegrass/western/polka crap, jazz, stinky hippy jamband shit, or pretentious RUSH sounding mathrawk. Almost anything else I would most certainly give a shot on!

2 - Link me to a file I can download to play to. I have FAST internet, so .wav files don't bug me. I would prefer that kind of fidelity anyway.

3 - Let me know where you want a guitar solo in the song. If you have a bpm and know your markers for the verse/bridge/chorus/solo's, then you can tell me what measures you want me to work in.

4 - If you don't know the fucking key to your song, I will probably hate you anyway. ;) Ask somebody if you don't know. It helps along the creative process when I am not figuring stuff like that out.

5 - Just because you know where you want your solo to go doesn't mean I give a hoot about what you think I should be playing there. I don't need any ideas from you. I will apply my judgement and style. If you like it, cool, use the fucking solo. If you don't, you didn't pay me a red cent did you? Move on! ;)

6 - If I don't like your song, or don't feel like I can do anything with it, I will be straight up with you about that. I won't be mean, but I don't mince words either! So, if you are sensitive to somebody saying, "Hey man, I don't really dig that song much, sorry", you might not want to send me the link. Alright?

7 - Make damn sure you give credit where credit is due! ;)

Okay, here are some songs I play the guitar solo in. These are not the only styles I can play in, but it does cover a pretty good range.

(this is a comedy song, and was NOT a serious try at jamband crap..it was for fun...but, you can see I could probably pull that crap off too if I set my mind to it...I only post it to show my prowess! ;))

(not much of a solo, but it shows that I can make noise with the best of them! :))

If you have some secret plan to take over the music world with your latest creation and don't want to make it public yet, PM me with your link. Your secret is safe with me!

I don't have anything that needs a solo, but I'm digging the tunes...the guitar tone on Super Hero kicks... :cool:

Self Help is a bit different. Kind of cool, in a quirky way. Who is all that, Ed? God playing...fits this type of song very well. Added the dirt that it needed.

Flower People kicks ass...what more can you say... :D That's you and Jake, right? Love this one.... :cool: Comedy, or not..this is just plain fun.... :D Nice playing man...that is a blast.

Anyway, I just listened because, and I aint got any song right now, so there. ;)

Cool shit man.

Thanks Dogman.

Self Help is all me playing everything. Jake sang it.

Flower People is me playing everything except bass (Jake). I sang everything except the "Cheech" voice during the jokes.

Super Hero has a cool story behind it. I was recording the band, and set up the guitar tones and they started playing. I tried to "produce" some guitar ideas into the song, but they didn't like ANY of them. So, after they left the studio that day, I recorded all of these guitar tracks.

A year later, I played the mix for them. They thought my guitars kicked ass all of theirs! :) They never after that discounted any of my producing ideas.

What are some of the things used to get these tones? They sit well within the song. :cool:

Which song? Man, it is all over the place!

Super Hero is a G&L S500 strat via a Marshall JCM 900 with 1960 cab. SM-57 right at the grill going into a ART pre into Black face ADAT.

Flower People and Self Help. I think I used my cheap ass Epiphone Les Paul Standard II (you know, the $100 bolt on neck one) via a Fender Champ Amp, either a 57 or 421, ART pre, Alesis HD 24

Everything else is my JStation into the Behringer (usually) into my Lynx One sound card. Usually using my custom made strat.

Ford Van said:
Which song? Man, it is all over the place!

Super Hero is a G&L S500 strat via a Marshall JCM 900 with 1960 cab. SM-57 right at the grill going into a ART pre into Black face ADAT.

Flower People and Self Help. I think I used my cheap ass Epiphone Les Paul Standard II (you know, the $100 bolt on neck one) via a Fender Champ Amp, either a 57 or 421, ART pre, Alesis HD 24

Everything else is my JStation into the Behringer (usually) into my Lynx One sound card. Usually using my custom made strat.
Cool....diverse tones, by diverse means. The tones fit each piece pretty well, man. That's a large part of the battle. :D

Im sorry Ford, I was under the impression that you were a shit guitarist. Only had a chance to listen to superhero. Fucken awesome solo.

Cool idea. I like the sounds you got in Superhero.

If you can hear anything where it drops to E at .59 in this one, great. Maybe the outro too. Hell anywhere you like..

Bulls Hit said:
Cool idea. I like the sounds you got in Superhero.

If you can hear anything where it drops to E at .59 in this one, great. Maybe the outro too. Hell anywhere you like..

I will get something to you by tuesday! I like. :D

Well, if good intentions were solo's, it would be tuesday today! :)

It is a bit sloppy still, and I haven't really settled on the tone I want yet. Let me know if I should continue down this route, or if it is shit. I am fine either way.

Down dirty tone Ed. Love the wah and the stretching/bending..some fast finger work going on too :D ....Puts me in mind of some Foghat tone.cool. :cool:

Bulls...great drumming as usual !! :cool:

Just wanted to drop in and say you have some extremely cool tunes. :cool: I listened to Superhero and Self Help. Superhero has a cool Meat Puppetish vibe to it and Self Help is cool in its own original way. Keep up the good work.

You should definitely be playing these songs out live if you aren't already!!

Brad

some kcickin guitar you play there ford....i like what you started with bull hit! esp..the end of it where you pagio out with a wammy....very cool

Ha! Very cool. Chops and tone, beautiful. On the melodic side, I get the sense you're playing over the backing rather than along with it. Like at .33 it keeps in the same direction - could it shift a bit there maybe? It's hot stuff though, and I'm a sucker for wah..smokin! :D

Back