Let Her Cry - acoustic cover

I enjoyed that. I'm used to your vocals being swathed in FX.. this is nicely refreshing. Which acoustic guitar was that?

I enjoyed that. I'm used to your vocals being swathed in FX.. this is nicely refreshing. Which acoustic guitar was that?

I actually was advised to turn down the delay on the vocals, so I complied :) haha. It's a 1970's Sigma. It was my dads and the first guitar I ever played 30 yrs ago. Still have it. Though, admittedly, I don't take as good of care as I should... it has golf tees as pegs

thanks for the listen

Really enjoyed the track overall - nice structure and coherent soundscapes! In terms of mixing, I think the main guitar could benefit from a bit more sound clarity - perhaps a slight high mid range cut to let out more of the nice vocal tones (around 700/800 Hz?)
and a boost in the high frequencies to make it a bit more vibrant. Well done anyway! How did you record the guitar?

Really enjoyed the track overall - nice structure and coherent soundscapes! In terms of mixing, I think the main guitar could benefit from a bit more sound clarity - perhaps a slight high mid range cut to let out more of the nice vocal tones (around 700/800 Hz?)
and a boost in the high frequencies to make it a bit more vibrant. Well done anyway! How did you record the guitar?

I agree. I'm recording in my condo's living room - there's a wide open space with 18' ceiling and I'm approx 6 ft from the wall to my right and 20 ft from the wall to my left. I'm sure there's some weird boxy resonances jumping around, so that's the thing I'm looking for with posting here - if anyone notices any freq ranges or spikes that are odd sounding. Vocals are recorded in the same spot, just raise the mic up the stand. SM7B without the foam cover and with a splash guard. HD280's for monitoring and Yamaha HS8's for mixing.

Here's a screenshot of the guitar bus EQ:

Screenshot (6).png

Great performance as always. Vocals sound very heartfelt, as they usually do with your tunes. I do agree it was nice to hear your voice sounding a bit more vulnerable here than normal.

My only nit is that the acoustic sounds a bit boomy. Sounds as though it could use some hi-pass filtering maybe.

I inserted a pic above of the guitar bus EQ. There's a HPF at 89hz though maybe it should have come up a bit. I think maybe the boom is more in the 250-350 range though.

I agree. I'm recording in my condo's living room - there's a wide open space with 18' ceiling and I'm approx 6 ft from the wall to my right and 20 ft from the wall to my left. I'm sure there's some weird boxy resonances jumping around, so that's the thing I'm looking for with posting here - if anyone notices any freq ranges or spikes that are odd sounding. Vocals are recorded in the same spot, just raise the mic up the stand. SM7B without the foam cover and with a splash guard. HD280's for monitoring and Yamaha HS8's for mixing.

Here's a screenshot of the guitar bus EQ:

View attachment 107340

Ah yes, I would perform a steeper cut on the lows and definitely parametric curves to remove some of that boxiness between 200 and 800 Hz - take that yellow band, change the gain to positive 6 dB and widen the Q a bit - then go around between 100 and 1k Hz and try to hear where the guitar is really boxy within that range. Once you're done with that, bring gain back to-4 and adjust the band in relation to the other tracks in the song as well. You could also try some high shelving maybe a couple dB around 10k :)

Nice... really nice!

The noted recommendations I agree with and have nothing more to add.

I have to admit, I have an SM7b and not had it sound that good on everything like you did.
I did not hear any cumulative noise that usually comes with the SM7b needing so much gain.

Great song.

Back