Lend an ear to this mix!

JazzMang

He's Junktastic!
Hi All.
Long time reader here, just got a favor to ask.
I worked on this last weekend.
I just want to know what you guys think of this mix...
There are no vocals yet, as they haven't been completed yet.

The drums will be re-recorded as I have since got a lot of new gear... and a different drummer!

my concerns are this: the mix sounds quite dry and slightly bass heavy... there are still a couple of 'touch up' tracks that I need to lay down, but thats for another day.

i am using a V-Amp for guitars and the bass is run through a behringer Virtualizer Pro (one of the best sounding FX units I've ever used) to add more meat to it. Drums are POSes but thats already taken care of. Any mixing suggestions/tips?

Any suggestions for the softer section?

Sample Song Section

Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
Thanks again.

JazzMang Out.

Last edited:
when the hihats are on sizzle its a little too piercing over the guitar... im sure its just my stereo but i cant hear bass drum at all.

Over my cheap headphones at work the guitar sounds nice but overpowers the drums, which sound distant and a little "wet" to my ears. How was this drumset miked up and with what?

I hear no bass to speak of. I'm wanting to hear countermelody - maybe the bass would do the trick if you used a bright sound like a Rickenbaker with some growl to it.

Also the song begins and ends rather abruptly :)

The song has potential.

the bass drum was tuned too low (peaks around 48-51 Hz!). so you guys think i should tone down the hats a bit, huh? I'll try that. Anything else that comes to mind? I need all the critiques i can get.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Stavencrows said:
I don't know much, but I felt the guitar was a bit woolly and the hi-hat too loud. The tune had promise.

wooly?
care to elaborate?
You think the guitars need a little more high-end bite?

Supercreep said:
Over my cheap headphones at work the guitar sounds nice but overpowers the drums, which sound distant and a little "wet" to my ears. How was this drumset miked up and with what?

I hear no bass to speak of. I'm wanting to hear countermelody - maybe the bass would do the trick if you used a bright sound like a Rickenbaker with some growl to it.

Also the song begins and ends rather abruptly :)

The song has potential.

haha. thats just the verse of the song and the interlude section, which is why it ends so abruptly.

no bass? ha. this is a problem. Put on some good headphones and i bet you'll say the bass is too overpowering (bass is centered around 50 Hz).

Well the drums are going to be re-done. I agree with you 100% about the distant-sounding-ness of it.

Drums were miked with sennheisers on the toms and snare. the e608 was used on the snares and we hated it.. which is why we decided to go back and re-record it when we had some time free.

Anyone else have any opinions on it?
I appreciate all the help you guys have given already.

JazzMang Out.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll take that into consideration when I go and remix it in a couple of weeks.

Did any other of you other guys have any opinions about the guitar tone/EQ/level?

Stavencrows said:
sorry - not very helpful

no, your response was actually helpful. I thought the guitar part was lacking in clarity when mixing it but some other people said it complemented the bass part nicely. i dunno.

but thanks for responding at least! :)

Guitars are not EQd correctly, roll them off below 200 maybe 250. They are also too loud in the mix. Take them down and the drums up.

Frankly, giving you tips before the vocal has been added is almost worthless information. Everything gets carved around the vocals. I would just keep tracking at this point and come back when the vocals are done.

the bass is there, way back there, it's barely there. hihats, when closed, are too loud. you already no the bass drum is too low. I like the guitar tone but like they said before, maybe too loud and not equalized properly.

thanks for the help.
I'll try and work on that stuff... but I need to go back re-record some stuff too (mostly drums).

Back