Lemonade

rushfan33,

Hey dude,

Welcome to the board.

Checked out your tune and I like it alot. Great vox, solid playing, strong writing and a close to done mix.

My ear says you should lower the bass (maybe tighten it up with eq?) and push the vox up some.

I'd up the git on the left in the intro and soft sections to match the git on the right. Maybe some sustained texture notes from the lead git during the intro.

During the chorus "it's a find day for lemonaid" I think the song could use more of a crunch and punch. Perhaps it is a matter of pushing the rhythm gits up and adding a more aggressive backing vox on top of everything else. Maybe some glittery distortion on the gits........something to give that part more balls and seperation.

Really liked the tune, sung with good delivery and good tracking. Is this all you?

Thanks for posting this tune.

Peace,
Theron.

Rush... Fine tune! Loved your chordings. Drums sound great... The tune is very Jane's Addiction-ish, and to me, that's a good thing! Mixed very well, too, by the way... Cool summertime vibe!:cool:

Nice tune overall. I did want to hear a bigger chorus - maybe a different guitar part or two added in, especially the second time around. I was also thinking you could liven up the second verse section some too, using another guitar part or maybe a few choice higher harmonies added in to give a little more variety.

Overall the quality's nice. I like the sound on the vocals - well recorded, and I can see where the Jane's Addiction reference comes from. (I'm thinking I need to listen and review BEFORE reading other posts... lol)

Overall nice work. I'd like to hear more and see what else ya got up your sleeve. :D

Thank you for all the kind words. I felt many of the same things you were all talking about during mixdown and even played with adding some more parts to "strengthen" different areas.
Then I thought after listening to it, the vibe was already there. It's exactly what it implies.... sitting on a porch on a hot day in a comfy chair drinking a nice glass of lemonade. No Excitement of any kind or any kind of activity. Just chillin'! So we decided to keep any of the "Big" parts out.
The whole song was recorded and mixed in about 4-5 hours. It was written by my old singer Anthony. I played drums and bass.
I have a couple more I'll post soon. There all very different styles.
Thanks again for the words.....RF

:D

Last edited:
Man I hear both John Lennon and George Harrison on this one. And that is quite an accomplishment to raise the spirits of one half of the greatest rock and roll band of all time. If it is alright with you I am gonna open another beer and give it another spin because this is what it is all about...

Still my guitar gently weeps
The King

the song has some pretty amazing parts and some pretty unmemorable parts.

Overall, a decent offering.

They say I drink too much, they say I eat to much, they say I smoke too much and I think its okay.

Funk on!

very familiar sounding riff.. cool tune.. It sounds like a lot of stuff because this riff was used a billion times, but I liked it for the most part...

nice job.. "I smoke too much" also..

sam

Well... I haven't got around to listening to Lemonade yet,.. but I'm checkin' oat yer Funk La jam right now... I must say... nice live drum sound.. and LOL.. I can totally hear the "Peart" influence in your drumming... (ala the doublet on the ride during the "chorus") lol.. I do the same thing. I think all us drummers who are Rush fans have a certain portion of Neal licks in us that we'll always incorporate into every song we play. :D Oh yeah.. nice drumming too. :p Really tight stuff.

ok.. LOL.. (sorry.. I'm writing this while I listen to it).. that breakdown at 3:52 is totally like something I used to play that yet another Rush fan showed me. :D It's good to hear the old licks again.. I don't use as many of em any more since I started playing alt. rock.

Anywhoo... I guess I'll go listen to that song you wanted us to listen to in the first place. :p

WATYF

Thanks WATYF!
It really is hard to get away from that influence. You probably won't hear too much of it in Lemonade but I can hear it in Funk La also. I'm starting to show influence by Geddy Lee also in my bass playing. It takes me forever to write something on bass because I don't know any theory or scales for that matter! I have to hear it in my head and then learn it.
Thanks for the review!!:)

this song reminds me what the kids of the guy in "Mason Profit" ~"two hangman..hangin in a tree"....would sound like.. if you can relate to that.

I think it has some elements that could be improved...like the beginning until the rest of the stuff comes in. ...it's kinda "loose" feeling. But all in all, I'd say pretty decent.

Cool stuff Rush.........
This is another situation where ive gotta ask if the effect on the vocs is intentional. I hear the "Janes" reference....... If you are going for a little disonant missing with the vocal doubles. If thats not your intent, you might wanna tighten em up a little. .....sounds great though!!! I like the instrument sounds, and i really dig the singers voice.......... very very cool!!!:D

The vocals in the beginning were not super tight but we didn't have much time to tighten everything up. It was pretty much a "one pass" deal.
thanks for the review.
RF

I agree about Mixmkr's suggestion about tighter stereo on the vox. They sound very very good though, it's just the stereo spread for me seems to be taking some of the human being out of it. While the chord progressions may not be excitingly original, they are given some pretty fresh life here. They are played to set a smooth mood.
I also agree...to have gone too big with any section of this would have killed it. Great job all around.

I listened to whaat you guys were saying and I definitely see your point about the vox. I does sound off as opposed to cool!
Thanks
RF

hmm, that was weird. as I was saying...

this sounds really good. what kind of recording experience do you have prior to your new gear?

good sounding mix, I like the drums a lot.

I pretty much had no experience whatsoever accept for going in and paying for demos with my old bands. We'd pay literally thousands of $ and get recordings that were shitty so I decided to spend the money on gear and learn the shit myself. I initially bought the 32.8 Mackie and 1 Adat XT. I had some 57's already...

Oh wait I take it back! I had a Tascam 424 that I fiddled with. :D

That song "Lemonade" was recorded once before at a studio in Sacramento that was about 2 1/2 hours away from us. When we heard the song in his studio through his monitors it sounded killer. But as soon as we got in the car to drive home it was a disappointent. It was really crappy sounding. We tried it in other stereos only to realize that we pretty much just got ripped off! So I just bought a whole bunch of gear and started recording ourselves. The song I posted is my version.

Thanks for your review!
RF

Back