"Lead Me On"...I think it's a Yes/Journey/Emerson love child...

Ric

Sorry for not being around as much. Been busy
with this project from Germany. I can let
one more go for free DL...9 tunes are complete, working on the 10th, aiming for 16
on the CD. Check it out...

"Lead Me On"
www.mp3.com/ricbonnell

I'll be back to check on other folks new stuff later tonite.

toodles.
~ric

Nice as always...really liked the moog-like synth lead a lot...K. Emerson would approve..the pitch bend organ sound towards the end was cool too...gibs

[This message has been edited by gibs (edited 07-23-2000).]

Holy Shit. That is very cool. I've always been a HUGE Yes fan. Very Jon Anderson-ish. I actually think I'd buy that.

thanks gibs for your consistency. You
have good ears. :)

LOL Track Rat, thanks...I think that's a good sign. I would say the whole project should be completed in 4 - 6 months...hoping anyway.

Appreciate it guys.

[This message has been edited by Ric (edited 07-23-2000).]

Like you need my advice <g>. A few things that come to mind after only a couple of listens:

* Your production deserves better than 128kbps encoding (I'm really becoming an encoding snob :().

* The key-bass isn't quite working for me... prefer a real bass for this type of thing (it wouldn't take long to add, would it?).

* I wish I had that 3 octave range you seem to have (well, I do, but only the top and bottom are "stable" :D).

Anyway, There's a porthooooooooole in my cabiiiiiiiiiin.

C'mon Ric... tell us the truth.
Does your last name happen to be "Emmet", by chance? :)
Very cool song, dude. Nice arrangement.
The only thing I thought could have been better was the fade at the end that leads to the a-cappella vocals. It might sound pretty cool if you just stop the music on the beat and end it totally on the vocals... ala' Journey-style.

Ric,
I'm a big prog rock fan (Yes,Rush,Pink Floyd) and I must say, this is one of the better songs I've had the pleasure (and sometimes not) to hear on MP3.com.

From a production standpoint, I agree with Buck62. . . the instrumental fade out leaving the vox seemed a bit more awkward than interesting. Also, I really liked the keys alot, but the guitar sounded a tad small by comparison. I'd like to hear it fattened up a little.

All in all, I thought it was quite nice. By the way, what do you do. . . cinch in your belt a few notches to get your voice to do that? Impressive.

Ric,

Very nice once again!!!

I think you were born to late, a few years back music this good would have made you a millionare.

Just think, you could have had hundred dollar bills shaped like straws, women doing plaster casts, swimming pool shaped like Elvis, guitar shaped like a duck, and no money in the bank.

Ric,
Another good tune. I love vocal harmonies and your voice harmonizes really well. It seems you can build up harmonies without things getting overly thick. Too bad you don't live near me or I would force you to be in a Yes band with me. :) The other thing I really like in this song is the tom sound.

I know you didn't post this song to get praise but to get some constructive criticism on the mix and the sound. Well, I can't comment much on the mix as it sounds fine to me. But right at the end, it sounds to me like there's a harmony on the right side that goes flat. It's the last thing you hear. As for musical choices, I might at least try out a real bass like pglewis mentioned. Maybe add in the key-bass at places for effect. Also---and this is getting really picky and is subjective---I might consider a different guitar sound. Something not as crunchy and loose, but more of a smooth, tight, spacious distortion. I don't know if I can think of an example right now, though. (Can you tell I'm not a guitar player?) Maybe... Boston? Ahh, well.

Jim

Thanks for a second round guys...

pglewis
Thanks mun. :) on your points:
a: whole heartedly agree on 128...
until mp3.com changes...although I could
put a high bit rate up on an idrive
b: Agree again. Don't forget...this and
another tune up there are a long distance
collab with two Germans. So...there's
some give and take that has to be done.
Compromising for what they think it
should sound like etc. Personally? A
Rick 4001 would have been just ducky!
c: Sometimes my voice is a curse...producing
to match a song can be trialsome at times
Thanks so much for the input. :)

[This message has been edited by Ric (edited 07-25-2000).]

Buck62
Thanks...and that's not a bad idea on the end...
it would probably be pretty effective.
I might fly it by the committee. :)

Kaputo
turning red over hear!! :o

bobmc
Thanks for the large compliment.
I am with you on the mp3.com bit.
All the suggestions thus far are legit,
but as I mentioned above,
the logistics and other personas come into play.
Trying to get three people to agree in the same
room is hard enough as it is never mind half way
around the frikkin' world ya know! :)

My vox secret? I wear my undies 3 sizes too small! ;)

GT
Thanks
How very true that is. Actually, this project
is the first project that's got me
being focused. If I do my own stuff, I have a
tendency to be scatterbrained. I don't stick to
one sound or style. I float all over the place.
So I kinda grabbed this project (even though I knew
like you mentioned it having a retro sound) to help me
keep linear for a change. There are a lot of
cool tunes coming out of it though. :)

JimH
Thanks again! Again..I would prefer a real
bass guitar too but...the committee. ;) Flat vox??
Hmmm. I'm pretty critical on that sorta thing...
maybe a cent or two. Guitar sound is Torsten's
bag so...kinda hard telling a guy his guitar sound
needs modifying!! Force me into a "Yes" band eh?
hehe...that would be interesting. I have not
come across too many that can pull it off. At
least well enough for me. What do you play????

A CD will be available (red book not DAM) and some
awesome 3D artwork stuff(a booklet) as
the keyboardist is also an amazing graphics artist...
some of you might be interested in it when it's completed
...then again maybe not. :rolleyes:

Anyways...second round of thanks for all the cool input.

~ric

Sorry for the mutiple posts. The BB kept
hanging up when I tried to post the whole
thing. So I had to put it up in chunks.

Weird.

Ric, your pitch is spot-on and great everywhere....except that last note. More than a few cents. But I think someone else should give a second opinion just in case I'm imagining it or I'm insane. It's on the word "mo-ment" and the harmony goes from C to B. The B trails off flat. Is there some kind of leslie or doppler effect going on?

I know what you mean about guitar players. Heh-heh. ("Hey, can you turn down a little?" Guitar player goes over to his cabinet and touches the volume knob but doesn't really move it.) I'm only joking. Don't anybody spam me.

Jim
(Keyboard player)

Naw yer right...I just got through listening...it's at the very tail of the "ment" sylabel...good ear. :)

I can fix that.

All better. :) Thanks Jim. You wanna know
something weird, I described the flat to Rüdiger the keyboard player. He couldn't pick up on it. I've had a few good ears listen to this, you are the only one to spot it. Me, since I sang it, repetitive deafness set in I think. Good to have fresh ears (and accurate ones) to scope things out.

It was a very subtle flat. But once you picked up on it, it stuck out.

The new one is already up.
Thanks again dood. ;)

I never understood why MP3.com has a 128kbps max limit on encoding :confused:. Sometimes 128 is fine, usually it's lacking. iDrive has been all "wonked-out" for weeks now. xDrive has always been flaky. I think I may have to start the search for a "real" server, soon.

I had forgotten about the number of cooks involved. No worries... I have a really cool bass player in my head who can fill-in while I'm listening. It would be fun to collaborate at some point, if either of us ever had the time to do it. Good luck on the rest of the project.

Sounds like a very young Geddy Lee singing Alan Parsons, Guitar sounds fine. If it were my project I would fatten up the bass and drums a little. I like Alan Parsons. Good luck.

Hey Ric,

I didn't want to seem too picky. After all, this IS HomeRecording.com, and not Mega-MillionDollarStudioRecording.com. Lots of stuff has imperfections and it just adds character. But you raised the standard with that one. :) Love them harmonies.

Jim

Ric, though the song is good- with good ideas and licks, here are some points from my vantage: Lead vocal has too much reverb. There is some tempo problem right after the start, then seems to clear up. The rim-shot and cymbals are quite obviously silicon chips. Maybe you could bring them down in the mix or choose some less "perfect" sounds.
Just my thoughts. yam

Back